The most affordable key comic book?
1 1

189 posts in this topic

4,105 posts
4 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Daredevil 1 and Avengers 4 both are still value books currently.  

Why is Avengers 1 on the cheap? I'm still scratching my head about that one.  It seemed like it was on par with X-Men 1, but now X-Men keys are really hot thanks to the Disney/Fox deal.

Edited by Darkowl

4,105 posts
2 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

the most affordable key is the one you find at a comic store/ comic convention in the dollar box.

Example:

I missed my copy of Hulk 271 in my dollar box after the Raccoon got popular.

Still an affordable key though! It's the books like BA12 that make no sense to me.

1,190 posts
21 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

I generally think there should be some value attached to a supposed key. If it's low priced, then people don't think overly highly of it.  I can get a graded 9.6 white for $75.  I am not saying it doesn't have potential, but I can't say it rises to key based on the first app of a pint sized snotty assassin, even if it is Bruce and Talia's kid.  It is readily available in raw for low prices.  

Someone above listed Spawn #1 as a key.  I would agree but even with a movie and a 20+ year run, it is still way too available at low prices.  I can't ignore that as part of the equation. 

This whole thread is about affordable keys. It sounds like you’re saying if a book is too affordable, it’s not a key...

My interpretation of the OP’s question is more about undervaluation than affordability...but I could be wrong. Regardless, checkout comicbookdaily’s “undervalued spotlight” section...great stuff.

Edited by Callaway29
Added reference to undervalued spotlight

1,101 posts
Just now, Callaway29 said:

This whole thread is about affordable keys. It sounds like you’re saying if a book is too affordable, it’s not a key...

My interpretation of the OP’s question is more about undervaluation than affordability...but I could be wrong.

I guess, regarding my posts, it's is more about the definition of key. 

1,549 posts
20 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

I generally think there should be some value attached to a supposed key. If it's low priced, then people don't think overly highly of it.  I can get a graded 9.6 white for $75.  I am not saying it doesn't have potential, but I can't say it rises to key based on the first app of a pint sized snotty assassin, even if it is Bruce and Talia's kid.  It is readily available in raw for low prices.  

Someone above listed Spawn #1 as a key.  I would agree but even with a movie and a 20+ year run, it is still way too available at low prices.  I can't ignore that as part of the equation. 

Obviously our definitions of keys are different.  655 is a key to me because its the first appearance of Damian Wayne.  That's it.  Yes, he is a rude SOB but he will ultimately take the mantel of batman... and is pretty cool in my book.    I also think it's affordable at this time and priced lower; however, it will change.  I would not negate the fact that its a key just because its cheaper at this time point.  

4,105 posts
Just now, Spidey 62 said:

I read once that the rationale about Avengers 1 is that it is not the 1st appearance of the characters, just the team.  

That actually does make a lot of sense.

620 posts
11 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

That actually does make a lot of sense.

We also already got the avengers vs Loki in the mcu...now that’s somewhat old news compared to X-men 1 which is coming to the mcu and will be new.

I personally would love an avengers 1 regardless of what the movies do or don’t do but this combined with lack of a first appearance is why. 

120 posts
30 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

Why is Avengers 1 on the cheap? I'm still scratching my head about that one.  It seemed like it was on par with X-Men 1, but now X-Men keys are really hot thanks to the Disney/Fox deal.

Likely because Avengers #1 doesn't have any 1st appearances, whereas X-Men #1 does.

45,541 posts

Woodgod

4,599 posts
1 hour ago, Spidey 62 said:

Sorry, but there's no accepted definition of key that has anything to do with value. Prices are determined by supply and demand. Being key is only a part of the influence on demand, and will only very rarely affect supply (like in the case of an instantly hot book that was available though a channel that allows returns of unsold product).

Not every key is Action Comics 1. Actually, none of them are, except for Action Comics 1, and most are not even close in terms of relative importance.

This thread is strange, because there are lots of affordable keys.

1,101 posts
14 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Sorry, but there's no accepted definition of key that has anything to do with value. Prices are determined by supply and demand. Being key is only a part of the influence on demand, and will only very rarely affect supply (like in the case of an instantly hot book that was available though a channel that allows returns of unsold product).

Not every key is Action Comics 1. Actually, none of them are, except for Action Comics 1, and most are not even close in terms of relative importance.

This thread is strange, because there are lots of affordable keys.

I don't disagree.  I was just offering how I look at it and some factors that I consider. 

45,541 posts

Lets get a definition of key:
Has first appearance or has some other trait besides first app like the Alf molesting seal book that makes it sought out.  The issues immediately preceding or following aren't worth anywhere near as much.

Worth at least $100 because of the first app or other quality

Now start with the reasons I'm wrong-go-

2,252 posts
3 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Obviously our definitions of keys are different.  655 is a key to me because its the first appearance of Damian Wayne.  That's it.  Yes, he is a rude SOB but he will ultimately take the mantel of batman... and is pretty cool in my book.    I also think it's affordable at this time and priced lower; however, it will change.  I would not negate the fact that its a key just because its cheaper at this time point.  

Huh. 

I always assumed Damian’s first appearance was Batman: Son of the Demon. 

Is it the fact that he’s an unnamed infant in the story that disqualifies it? Or that it’s a graphic novel, not a floppy? Or both?

Edited by Number 6

1,549 posts
50 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Huh. 

Is it the fact that he’s an unnamed infant in the story that disqualifies it? Or that it’s a graphic novel, not a floppy? Or both?

I hadn't heard of that graphic novel but was just reading  this article after googling.

https://comicbookinvest.com/2015/03/03/1st-appearance-damian-wayne/

13,929 posts
9 hours ago, joeypost said:

Silver is Daredevil #1. Compare a 9.4 DD #1 to an ASM 1, Hulk 1 or FF 1 in the same grade. It is a fraction of the price. 

DD 1 is my choice and it is still underpriced in my book but it's quickly starting to rise.

9,559 posts
1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Huh. 

+1

It shouldn't really make much difference now as the 1st Star-Lord and Rocket Raccoon stories were in Marvel Preview magazine, but there's never been a great deal of consistency regarding format or a cameo appearance.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2,252 posts
30 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I hadn't heard of that graphic novel but was just reading  this article after googling.

https://comicbookinvest.com/2015/03/03/1st-appearance-damian-wayne/

I knew that for a long time Batman: SotD was considered an out-of-continuity story. I just assumed that when Damien showed up it was a case of “out-of-continuity until it’s not” 

Turns out the answer is more convoluted  than I thought, lol 

Thanks for the link. 

22,267 posts

Let's just say that I was very happy to be proven right when I said that Mile Morales might be the best thing to ever happen to Spider-man. 

452 posts
7 hours ago, s.krank said:

Silver:  Mystery in Space 103 

I'm curious why Mystery in Space 103 ~