• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Not that I want to get into the back and forth that's blossoming here, but Thor 337, whether you choose to classify it as a key or not, has been important for decades, not just because of BRB but it's also the beginning of Simonson's run on the title, which is generally hailed as one of the best of the 80's, so it has carried extra weight because of that. When I began collecting in the late 80's, it was already a big deal. Those that were active at the time can chime in as to whether the impact was immediate or not, but it's been one of the 80's milestones for as long as I've been collecting. Similar to Moore, Miller, Byrne, etc. starting on various titles, or Morrison more recently, these books used to really be a marker of significance because of their impact in the titles and the industry as a whole.

Yes, it was a big deal immediately after it was published in 1983, and it’s value rose quickly as a back issue.

however, by the time you started collecting in the late 80’s, it’s value was relatively stable and would continue to remain so for many, many years.

it was only in the past 4 years that the book started to rise again in value.

2 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

I get the sentiment on length of collecting related to what you consider keys. It goes without saying though (for some reason people on these boards dont get it) that a new generation will spawn new keys. Ive been collecting for 25+ years and dont need to jump on a bandwagon to see that there will be new keys for the next generation. Miles Morales is much more than a gimmick.  His character so far is beloved by many and collectors both young and old seek out his 1st appearance. 

People can make anything a key. It doesn't bother me. Collect what you want. Get excited about whatever you want. If you grow up seeing Miles comics cartoons movies that will be your Spider-man. Just like athletes of a different era. Silk is alright, but couldn't they found another way to give her powers, no another spider bite! Couldn't a villain make her in a lab, maybe start bad, turn good. Maybe kept the original webbing costume instead of another costume super hero. Everything has been done but use some creativity please. After we figure out covid we need to do something about these radioactive spiders. People keep eating this up so no need to change. People will keep getting their rings, wolverine will keep having daughters. About time for another kryptonian to arrive. 

41 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yes, it was a big deal immediately after it was published in 1983, and it’s value rose quickly as a back issue.

however, by the time you started collecting in the late 80’s, it’s value was relatively stable and would continue to remain so for many, many years.

it was only in the past 4 years that the book started to rise again in value.

Yup, right after I sold my Canadian 9.8. :sorry:

To actually post about most affordable keys. Spawn 1 and asm 300. Has there been any new original successful super heroes since these? 

Batman 181. People buy the 1st silver age Appearance of so and so and don't have this book. Pay almost as much or more for the 1st Appearance of another batgirl that is just a younger female batman. This is a new character true 1st appearance. 

Superboy 68. Reverse power's of superman is more original than a female superman, a younger superman or a younger female superman. 

Journey into mystery annual 1. Before 2010 more people knew who Hercules and Zeus was than Thor. Still might be the case but a lot closer. In school did you learn about Greek mythology or Norse? 

Marvel presents 1. Yeah let's go out and buy Elsa instead. 

10 hours ago, Bax77 said:

Not if we can help it! :sumo:

And why does it go without saying? Because you said it?

I don't think YOU get it. The Old School is not going to let some new collector fanboy flippers tell us ASM #36 is now a key because it's the first time his web shooters go "thwip". (Actual example doh!)

What the... :screwy:

12 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

To actually post about most affordable keys. Spawn 1 and asm 300. Has there been any new original successful super heroes since these? 

Batman 181. People buy the 1st silver age Appearance of so and so and don't have this book. Pay almost as much or more for the 1st Appearance of another batgirl that is just a younger female batman. This is a new character true 1st appearance. 

Superboy 68. Reverse power's of superman is more original than a female superman, a younger superman or a younger female superman. 

Journey into mystery annual 1. Before 2010 more people knew who Hercules and Zeus was than Thor. Still might be the case but a lot closer. In school did you learn about Greek mythology or Norse? 

i agree with all but spiderman 300 its def not affordable the lowest ive ever seen was a coverless copy sell for 65 dollars and plus it sells for 450 high grade

8 hours ago, silversufer27 said:

i agree with all but spiderman 300 its def not affordable the lowest ive ever seen was a coverless copy sell for 65 dollars and plus it sells for 450 high grade

If asm 300 isn't considered affordable, you might want to switch to collecting pogs or beanie babies or something because any decent key is going to be a few hundred bucks most the time. If you want to be a comic reader that's fine, but key collecting isn't cheap. I know people with low income or fixed income that pick up 3 or 4 keys a year. Helped a few of them out. Its usually they ate out too much. Or were spending couple hundred a month on new comics. If you are financially strapped you can either be a comic reader or comic collector. I dont know your situation. You may be a millionaire and are just cheap. I am a cheapskate. If I eat out it's a special or with a coupon. Never had a new car or car payment. Buy clothes at thrift stores. CPR my own books. Cut my own hair. You name it. Most people have the money, but instead of buying a comic book they choose cloths, car payment, sporting event, concert, going to movies, cigarettes, drugs, bars etc. All fine but unless you are in the 1 percent you gotta choose what you want. Just about anyone with a job can have a asm 300 in 2 months if they are willing to give up enough things that they like but dont need or become more financially efficient ( take 5 min shower, line dry cloths, buy used furniture etc )

2 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

If asm 300 isn't considered affordable, you might want to switch to collecting pogs or beanie babies or something because any decent key is going to be a few hundred bucks most the time. If you want to be a comic reader that's fine, but key collecting isn't cheap. I know people with low income or fixed income that pick up 3 or 4 keys a year. Helped a few of them out. Its usually they ate out too much. Or were spending couple hundred a month on new comics. If you are financially strapped you can either be a comic reader or comic collector. I dont know your situation. You may be a millionaire and are just cheap. I am a cheapskate. If I eat out it's a special or with a coupon. Never had a new car or car payment. Buy clothes at thrift stores. CPR my own books. Cut my own hair. You name it. Most people have the money, but instead of buying a comic book they choose cloths, car payment, sporting event, concert, going to movies, cigarettes, drugs, bars etc. All fine but unless you are in the 1 percent you gotta choose what you want. Just about anyone with a job can have a asm 300 in 2 months if they are willing to give up enough things that they like but dont need or become more financially efficient ( take 5 min shower, line dry cloths, buy used furniture etc )

Asm 300 is not that affordable lol there’s no way you can find a mid grade for 200 which is insane maybe affordable on high grades sometimes but idk

45 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

Asm 300 is not that affordable lol there’s no way you can find a mid grade for 200 which is insane maybe affordable on high grades sometimes but idk

For some $50 isn't affordable. Others 50 grand is affordable. But if well under a grand isn't affordable for a book that has a iconic cover by a popular hot artist and the first Appearance of a fairly original popular hot character then you aren't going to have much of a collection. I sold my copies so I dont even own the book but there is a good chance I will be picking up a copy this year. Wait to see what the covid effect does. But if I wanted one right this minute it is nothing to buy one. Wait a day or week or month for promo to get 10 percent back. Use credit. 0 interest 6 months to pay. I can manage 100 bucks a month for 6 months. Heck I just got a email for 12 months interest free. 50 bucks a month zero interest sounds affordable to me. 9.6 for 600 bucks. 9.8s are over 2 grand. 3 and a half times more expensive. Nyx 3 or Bat 12 9.6 to 9.8 aren't even double. I can get a 9.6 asm 300 for the same price as 2 other books whose 9.8s are 700 to 1100 cheaper than a asm 300. Not only affordable but a absolute bargain. You can be one of the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who pays 200 to 300 for a 7.0 8.0 just like the ones that buy nm98 8.0 for 200 when f0r 300 they could have a 9.6. 

57 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

For some $50 isn't affordable. Others 50 grand is affordable. But if well under a grand isn't affordable for a book that has a iconic cover by a popular hot artist and the first Appearance of a fairly original popular hot character then you aren't going to have much of a collection. I sold my copies so I dont even own the book but there is a good chance I will be picking up a copy this year. Wait to see what the covid effect does. But if I wanted one right this minute it is nothing to buy one. Wait a day or week or month for promo to get 10 percent back. Use credit. 0 interest 6 months to pay. I can manage 100 bucks a month for 6 months. Heck I just got a email for 12 months interest free. 50 bucks a month zero interest sounds affordable to me. 9.6 for 600 bucks. 9.8s are over 2 grand. 3 and a half times more expensive. Nyx 3 or Bat 12 9.6 to 9.8 aren't even double. I can get a 9.6 asm 300 for the same price as 2 other books whose 9.8s are 700 to 1100 cheaper than a asm 300. Not only affordable but a absolute bargain. You can be one of the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons who pays 200 to 300 for a 7.0 8.0 just like the ones that buy nm98 8.0 for 200 when f0r 300 they could have a 9.6. 

There aren't many 50K comics out there that are a bargain

11 minutes ago, littledoom said:

There aren't many 50K comics out there that are a bargain

Was referring to people's definition of affordable. 50 grand is nothing for some. I would say there are books that expensive that are bargains based on that it seems anything that hasn't happened in a movie is a bargain. 

On 4/30/2020 at 1:45 AM, Myowncollector said:

Interesting ^_^

One thing I've noticed is that DC Comics are criminally undervalued (whether that be in general sentiment or price-rang) in comparison to that of Marvel, and I feel that's quite possibly - even a small amount, to be reasonable - due to the MCU. So - in a way - it's a good thing that the DECU hasn't really set off properly because it means we still can get a HUGE bargain with regards to prices. Even the character appearances in the DC live-action shows haven't taken off a great deal (like they should) also ~

Edited by Bart Allen

8 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Interesting ^_^

One thing I've noticed is that DC Comics are criminally undervalued (whether that be in general sentiment or price-rang) in comparison to that of Marvel, and I feel that's quite possibly - even a small amount, to be reasonable - due to the MCU. So - in a way - it's a good thing that the DECU hasn't really set off properly because it means we still can get a HUGE bargain with regards to prices. Even the character appearances in the DC live-action shows haven't taken off a great deal (like they should) also ~

Can you provide examples or comparisons?

10 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Interesting ^_^

DC has some of and the most expensive comics. There top characters appeared in Golden age, hence books are more rare and old. Marvel in the 60s started creating loads of new characters while DC just kept giving us more flashes, more green lanterns, more Robin's etc. Yeah Marvels movies have been better. Even before that marvel has been more popular since the 60s. But really it's just marvel has more keys. I mean dc books have gone up just as much. Books would skyrocket just because of a show on cw. People paid hundreds for birds of prey garbage. Deathstroke went up with cw, then more with batman rumor. 

Edited by Myowncollector
Posted something meant for another forum

7 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

“DC’s are criminally undervalued in comparison to their Marvel counterparts “

Compare some some DC characters who've made their first on-screen-appearances (although there's a few I'm not mentioning for obvious reasons lol) ~

1. Black Lightning #1 is still absolutely affordable (VF/NM going for $60-100).
  2. Most of the characters in the Arrowverse TV show are still affordable (apart from perhaps the Golden Age characters).
  3. Stargirl may be the exception, though the show isn't even out yet.
  4. Tales of the Teen Titans #44 (WTF?)
  5. DC Comics Presents #26 (WTF?)
  6. Preacher #1 (the book actually depreciated since the "uninspiring" show - although I'm VERY thankful I managed to get Dillon's signature when I did).
  7. Black Canary/Oracle: Birds of Prey #1 (NM's going for less than $80)
  8. Superboy #9 (going for less than $20 in some cases NM)
  9. Most of the GL Corps' members.
  10. Superman: The Man of Steel #18.
  11. Detective Comics 585 (very shocking)
  12. Legends #1 (going as low as $5 in NM)
  13. Batman #181 (need I say anymore?)
6 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

DC has some of and the most expensive comics. There top characters appeared in Golden age, hence books are more rare and old. Marvel in the 60s started creating loads of new characters while DC just kept giving us more flashes, more green lanterns, more Robin's etc. Yeah Marvels movies have been better. Even before that marvel has been more popular since the 60s. But really it's just marvel has more keys. I mean dc books have gone up just as much. Books would skyrocket just because of a show on cw. People paid hundreds for birds of prey garbage. Deathstroke went up with cw, then more with batman rumor. 

True, they have but still not as expensive as some Marvel comics - but one of my contentions is that a great many of Marvel's 60-70s produce is insanely expensive - but I agree, Marvel had the quantity specifically relating to characters, whereas DC may have surpassed them in story produce. But my other point is that they've not increased as much as they should - or at least, when I conflate it with some Marvel books.

Edited by Bart Allen