The most affordable key comic book?
1 1

189 posts in this topic

45,555 posts
34 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

I'm curious why Mystery in Space 103 ~

Origin of ULTRA!!!  The ULTRA alien!!! 

yeah i know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
462 posts

Kav haha well still I guess for it's age lol ~

But for the Modern Era I have a little bit of faith in New X-men #133

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45,555 posts
28 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Kav haha well still I guess for it's age lol ~

But for the Modern Era I have a little bit of faith in New X-men #133

Not a fan of Lee Elias covers ugh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
462 posts

Well then again, even with Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest, who thought that Peter Quill would blow up like he did with Marvel Preview #4

Plus Super Villain Classics #1 (The Origin of Galactus) is very affordable as a Bronze Age comic ~

Edited by Bart Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112 posts
14 hours ago, Darkowl said:

Why is Avengers 1 on the cheap? I'm still scratching my head about that one.  It seemed like it was on par with X-Men 1, but now X-Men keys are really hot thanks to the Disney/Fox deal.

I agree it's held back as there are no "character" first appearances but it is the teams origin and will always be a classic.   I also believe an entire generation of people have grown up with and discovered superheroes with the Avengers which is more than enough to fuel this book for years to come.  In my opinion, it is still a bargain when compared to to some of the "keys" from the early '60's.

Avengers #4 is also a book i'd love to own and hope to add to my collection this year as Captain America #1 is completely out of reach for me but Avengers #4  very affordable in comparison and a complete classic with steady growth potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
525 posts
16 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

Someone above listed Spawn #1 as a key.  I would agree but even with a movie and a 20+ year run, it is still way too available at low prices.  I can't ignore that as part of the equation. 

I would say Spawn is definitely a key. And it is very affordable. I do not think it has to be expensive and rare. If I am a spawn collector I would be pretty happy about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,546 posts
3 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

I would say Spawn is definitely a key. And it is very affordable. I do not think it has to be expensive and rare. If I am a spawn collector I would be pretty happy about that.

100% agree.

"Key" does not mean "old and expensive". Spawn #1 is the first appearance of Spawn (the biggest non-Marvel/DC character IMO), first issue for the title character, etc. It printed and sold a lot. Just because it's affordable does not make it any less important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,319 posts
16 hours ago, Spidey 62 said:

I read once that the rationale about Avengers 1 is that it is not the 1st appearance of the characters, just the team.  

Brave and the bold #28 , same deal.  Great books that form legendary teams, but i don't think they will rise as much as traditional first appearances. ................or....................these are first appearances of legendary teams that will always be around therefor the team first appearances are grossly undervalued as compared to their peers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,872 posts

Tales to Astonish 62 and 90 are the first appearances of the Hulk's most iconic villains and they're pretty affordable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,294 posts

I approached this as established keys that are undervalued - I don't think any of these are "cheap" but I think they still present bargains relative to their peers

Gold: Batman 47 - first detailed origin of Batman - not cheap, but massively under valued IMO (I love this book and got a copy last year after years of looking for a nice low grade copy)

Silver: DD1, AV4, Showcase 22, Showcase 17, X-Men 14, Silver Surfer 3, Strange Tales 89 all come to mind

Bronze: X-Men 109, TOD 10 (although starting to rise), Batman 232 (it should be worth a lot more IMO)

Copper: Not really sure tbh, not my wheelhouse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,774 posts
34 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Copper: Not really sure tbh, not my wheelhouse

TMNT #1 is undervalued.  It is the only comic book that combines ridiculously low print run with household name status since the Golden Age, without having the artificial scarcity of current variants.  AF #15 is common compared to TMNT #1.  Hulk #181 is like Spawn #1 compared to TMNT #1.  The fact that TMNT #1 never had more than 3,275 copies in existence puts it in the same "surviving copies" stratosphere as pre-1960s keys with bigger name recognition than every character introduced from 1942 to 1960.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,294 posts
32 minutes ago, valiantman said:

TMNT #1 is undervalued.  It is the only comic book that combines ridiculously low print run with household name status since the Golden Age, without having the artificial scarcity of current variants.  AF #15 is common compared to TMNT #1.  Hulk #181 is like Spawn #1 compared to TMNT #1.  The fact that TMNT #1 never had more than 3,275 copies in existence puts it in the same "surviving copies" stratosphere as pre-1960s keys with bigger name recognition than every character introduced from 1942 to 1960.

Its funny I was actually going to say TMNT #1 for the exact same reasons - but thought it may be too "high value" for this list :) But I agree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,451 posts
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:09 PM, Gaard said:

'Affordable' is very dependent on one's finances. For me, affordable is under $10.

Aren't bottle deposits like 10 cents in Michigan? You can make a fortune going through your neighbors' garbage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,730 posts
2 hours ago, valiantman said:

TMNT #1 is undervalued.  It is the only comic book that combines ridiculously low print run with household name status since the Golden Age, without having the artificial scarcity of current variants.  AF #15 is common compared to TMNT #1.  Hulk #181 is like Spawn #1 compared to TMNT #1.  The fact that TMNT #1 never had more than 3,275 copies in existence puts it in the same "surviving copies" stratosphere as pre-1960s keys with bigger name recognition than every character introduced from 1942 to 1960.

:golfclap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
80 posts

I firmly believe many of the Pre-Unity Valiants are undervalued keys. Pretty much any first appearance I pick up wherever I can find them. Harbinger 1 is really the only one that's risen a bit beyond what many may be willing to pay for a raw copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,730 posts
30 minutes ago, John Campbell said:

I firmly believe many of the Pre-Unity Valiants are undervalued keys. Pretty much any first appearance I pick up wherever I can find them. Harbinger 1 is really the only one that's risen a bit beyond what many may be willing to pay for a raw copy.

my favorite comics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,774 posts
40 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:
1 hour ago, John Campbell said:

I firmly believe many of the Pre-Unity Valiants are undervalued keys. Pretty much any first appearance I pick up wherever I can find them. Harbinger 1 is really the only one that's risen a bit beyond what many may be willing to pay for a raw copy.

my favorite comics

The Pre-Unity Valiant books were the first books I wanted when I discovered Ebay (in 1997). I had missed them in 1991-1992, so it was beautiful that the comic book market crash killed Pre-Unity Valiant just as much as it killed Post-Unity Valiant. :whee: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,713 posts
4 hours ago, valiantman said:

TMNT #1 is undervalued.  It is the only comic book that combines ridiculously low print run with household name status since the Golden Age, without having the artificial scarcity of current variants.  AF #15 is common compared to TMNT #1.  Hulk #181 is like Spawn #1 compared to TMNT #1.  The fact that TMNT #1 never had more than 3,275 copies in existence puts it in the same "surviving copies" stratosphere as pre-1960s keys with bigger name recognition than every character introduced from 1942 to 1960.

 

3 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Its funny I was actually going to say TMNT #1 for the exact same reasons - but thought it may be too "high value" for this list :) But I agree!

Yep... I was thinking about that too but didn't say anything due to the current (seemingly) high prices...

Really hoping I can find a way to upgrade to a blue label this year!

 

AND... I am still disheartened, in a way, about DD #1... I let my 4/5-ish copy go here years ago for a couple hundred dollars to pay for rent or something... kept trying to spend about $2k 2011 to replace it with a slightly nicer copy... nothing ever worked!  Finally ended up paying a semi-premium for an 8.5 last year, but there's no way I'm letting it go this time unless I upgrade.  How can it not be undervalued compared to its peers?  Still my favorite character!

AndyLeeDD.thumb.jpg.4a2dc51a984237ef14ceac271578cf86.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,713 posts
6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The Pre-Unity Valiant books were the first books I wanted when I discovered Ebay (in 1997). I had missed them in 1991-1992, so it was beautiful that the comic book market crash killed Pre-Unity Valiant just as much as it killed Post-Unity Valiant. :whee: 

still holding onto that Rai 0 CGC 10? :-p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1