• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Marvel's top three objectives: 1) Make a profit, 2) Respect canon (Feige is a fanboy), and 3) Give every ethnicity, nationality, gender, etc... their shot on the big screen.

What character checks all three boxes? As in: 1) Inspires, potentially, the largest portion of the consumer base?, 2) OG fans want to see, but haven't yet?, and 3) Embodies a group that hasn't been represented in the MCU?

It's obvious, to me anyways...

That's why I've been mulling over as to whether Feige will be including some of the ethnic minority-based characters into the fold, with the introduction of the X-Men at least ~

4 hours ago, jeranimal said:

Thor 339, huh?  First Stormbreaker

Name only.

Thor’s axe, Jarnbjorn, first appears in Jason Aaron’s more recent run.

On January 23, 2019 at 11:17 AM, valiantman said:

TMNT #1 is undervalued.  It is the only comic book that combines ridiculously low print run with household name status since the Golden Age, without having the artificial scarcity of current variants.  AF #15 is common compared to TMNT #1.  Hulk #181 is like Spawn #1 compared to TMNT #1.  The fact that TMNT #1 never had more than 3,275 copies in existence puts it in the same "surviving copies" stratosphere as pre-1960s keys with bigger name recognition than every character introduced from 1942 to 1960.

On January 22, 2019 at 1:01 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Bronze = Scooby Doo #1 Gold Key.  If there’s one Gold Key book to own that transcends generations of avid TV watchers, merchandise buyers, and movie goers, it’s this one.  I know it’s difficult to find in high grade but honestly, this blows Johnny Quest, Doctor Solar, and Magnus Robot Fighter clear out of the water.  And for full disclosure, no, I do not own a copy.

For Bronze I'm going to go with Scooby Doo gold key too. It's an interesting example above of "how low" the print run on TMNT 1 is and when you compare it to the Scooby #1 it actually looks super high, but life is relative.

Total CGC graded:

Scooby- 143

TMNT- 798

Comic Copies grade 9.0 and above

Scooby- 6

TMNT- 295

Scooby looks incredibly rare compared to the "ridiculously low print run" of TMNT #1 mentioned above.  There's 24 TMNT graded 9.8 and with Scooby you'd have to go all the way down to 8.0 to get a total of 28 copies graded. Now that to me is actually the ridiculously low print run. 

But, how about value as the topic suggests--

TMNT- an 8.5 sold recently on eBay for $7,500 

Scooby- and 8 sold recently for $2,200

So basically today you can pick up the 381st best copy of TMNT for 3.5 times greater the cost of the 28th best copy of Scooby Doo? Seems like Scooby is the slam dunk here for rarity and value??

How does scooby even begins to compare to TMNT??? 

It has absolutely no comic significance as it's not a first appearance.. it dwarfs in comparison to the demand that collectors have for TMNT 1... the point brought above about the amount of slabs made for TMNT is actually proof of that.. not the other way around...

It has absolutely ZERO significance in the market as a comic. we all know scooby holds value but to compare it to a STAPLE book in our industry that signified a whole new era, new movement, and made a hellova franchise is pure nonesense  

9 hours ago, jefecabra said:

For Bronze I'm going to go with Scooby Doo gold key too. It's an interesting example above of "how low" the print run on TMNT 1 is and when you compare it to the Scooby #1 it actually looks super high, but life is relative.

Total CGC graded:

Scooby- 143

TMNT- 798

Comic Copies grade 9.0 and above

Scooby- 6

TMNT- 295

Scooby looks incredibly rare compared to the "ridiculously low print run" of TMNT #1 mentioned above.  There's 24 TMNT graded 9.8 and with Scooby you'd have to go all the way down to 8.0 to get a total of 28 copies graded. Now that to me is actually the ridiculously low print run. 

But, how about value as the topic suggests--

TMNT- an 8.5 sold recently on eBay for $7,500 

Scooby- and 8 sold recently for $2,200

So basically today you can pick up the 381st best copy of TMNT for 3.5 times greater the cost of the 28th best copy of Scooby Doo? Seems like Scooby is the slam dunk here for rarity and value??

it might be rare, but does anyone want it?  Most people would rather have a TMNT 1.  

12 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Can anyone tell me why The Amazing-Spider-man #43 is SOOO affordable?!

I'd have to say because its just an origin story which is always significantly lower than the 1 appearance issue. Kinda like difference between ASM 101 and 102. The 101 gets most of the attention and is highly sought after while the 102 is kinda like an after thought.

Scooby Doo #1 (March 1970) has the same problem as a lot of TV-and-Movie-and-Toy comic books... it came AFTER the show.  The first 17 episodes of Scooby Doo had already aired before Scooby Doo #1 was released.  Scooby Doo was already a successful cartoon before the comics were produced to "take advantage" of the already existing market.

Why are Twilight Zone comics so cheap?  They came after the show.

Why are Star Trek comics so cheap?  They came after the show.

Why is Star Wars #1 (from Marvel, the biggest publisher) so cheap?  Star Wars wasn't a comic, it was a movie. It was toys.  The comic was probably a rush-to-market (ahead of the movie), because Darth Vader looks green on #1 cover, good guys have red lightsabers #1, #2, etc., Jabba is wrong #2, etc.

Why are Transformers and GI Joe (also from Marvel) so cheap?  They were toys that also had a comic. TMNT comics got toys later.  After it sold out and had a 2nd print. After it sold out and had a 3rd print.  TMNT was a comic first, and a reprint comic second, and a reprint comic third.

It's possible that the comic market has shifted some lately, since Scooby Doo #1 is a lot more valuable than 10 years ago, and Batman Adventures #12 came after the TV show for Harley Quinn and it has established big value... but generally speaking, the comic market has not rewarded comics that show up after the other markets introduce characters first or rewarded comics for toys (Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man, etc.), or even if the comics came first (by a few months).

It you want a big name (bigger than Scooby Doo) for a really cheap price... Blip #1 (1983, Marvel) has the first Mario, and it's about $20.

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Because the 1st Rhino is Amazing Spider-Man #41? :foryou:

16 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I'd have to say because its just an origin story which is always significantly lower than the 1 appearance issue. Kinda like difference between ASM 101 and 102. The 101 gets most of the attention and is highly sought after while the 102 is kinda like an after thought.

But but but ... the full appearance of MJ :(

17 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The first appearance of Ultra was Action Comics #13 :gossip:

Ultra-Humanite.

(Always been a JSA fan.)

Edited by Ken Aldred

Just now, Ken Aldred said:
16 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The first appearance of Ultra was Action Comics #13 :gossip:

Ultra-Humanite.

Called "Ultra" for short.  They made two movies about him... Unbreakable and Glass, with Ultra-Humanite called "Mr. Glass" and played by Samuel L. Jackson. :wink:

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Scooby Doo #1 (March 1970) has the same problem as a lot of TV-and-Movie-and-Toy comic books... it came AFTER the show.  The first 17 episodes of Scooby Doo had already aired before Scooby Doo #1 was released.  Scooby Doo was already a successful cartoon before the comics were produced to "take advantage" of the already existing market.

Why are Twilight Zone comics so cheap?  They came after the show.

Why are Star Trek comics so cheap?  They came after the show.

Why is Star Wars #1 (from Marvel, the biggest publisher) so cheap?  Star Wars wasn't a comic, it was a movie. It was toys.  The comic was probably a rush-to-market (ahead of the movie), because Darth Vader looks green on #1 cover, good guys have red lightsabers #1, #2, etc., Jabba is wrong #2, etc.

Why are Transformers and GI Joe (also from Marvel) so cheap?  They were toys that also had a comic. TMNT comics got toys later.  After it sold out and had a 2nd print. After it sold out and had a 3rd print.  TMNT was a comic first, and a reprint comic second, and a reprint comic third.

It's possible that the comic market has shifted some lately, since Scooby Doo #1 is a lot more valuable than 10 years ago, and Batman Adventures #12 came after the TV show for Harley Quinn and it has established big value... but generally speaking, the comic market has not rewarded comics that show up after the other markets introduce characters first or rewarded comics for toys (Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man, etc.), or even if the comics came first (by a few months).

It you want a big name (bigger than Scooby Doo) for a really cheap price... Blip #1 (1983, Marvel) has the first Mario, and it's about $20.

Appreciate the info on the above.  I was just the right age to 'get' the TMNT when they 1st appeared.  I purchased #1 third print from my LCS and even sent away for the t-shirt iron on image, which was awesome, and like many others, I was totally hooked, having purchased every subsequent issue through #20, and also picking up a #1 first print.  The Turtles were fun, entertaining and spoke to a certain audience at the time.  Once they were published at Archie and the Saturday morning cartoon appeared on TV, I lost interest.  But I was completely aware of the cultural phenomena it became: pjs, puzzles, games, books, more cartoons, movies, and...wait a sec, sounds familiar.  Oh, that's right, its the same bit of nostalgia I felt for Scooby Doo, who had been on TV for 15 years already, and who also had numerous books, puzzles, pj's etc published.

If you want to know which I'd rather have today, well, let me put it to you this way:  I sold my TMNT #1 first print, and I am actively seeking a high grade Scooby Doo #1 (and have been for several years).