• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I press Captain Marvel Adventures #26?

26 posts in this topic

Or even slab it? I'm curious, given the old nature of the comic?

There is a small amount of rust on the staple I hasten to add ~

All comments are welcomed!

Captain Marvel Adventures 26 (Fawcett 1943) FN/VF | SHAZAM | 1ST MISTER MIND

Captain Marvel Adventures #26 (Fawcett 1943) FN/VF - 1ST APPEARANCE OF MISTER MIND.  MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL CHAPTER FIVE.  AD PAGE FEATURING CARTOON DEPICTION OF HITLER.

Grade notes: Small amount of rust on outer staple

Spoiler

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.6c789a040f783f26e1e2d2c93cfb2a87.jpg

Spoiler

140305621_s-l1600(3).thumb.jpg.ad27032ffcc385aa2169d8f386614d98.jpg

Spoiler

1564406812_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.f67f1620081def5aa91b06170a468d11.jpg

Spoiler

1646696301_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.5841a2ea67fc6289ba59deafeee5a8be.jpg

Edited by Bart Allen

There might be more, but I can only think of maybe three reasons to get comic books professionally graded and encapsulated. 

1) For protection of the comic book

2) For resale. Slabbed books generally sell easier and oftentimes for more $$. 

3) Aesthetics. One likes the way the books look encapsulated. 

It's difficult  to answer the question "would you recommend slabbing it?" without knowing if any of the three things above apply to or interest you.  This is not a particularly expensive book (though expensive is relative to one's income bracket) In the $150 range. It's not likely to be worth substantially more slabbed, but it would sell easier because of the restoration check done by CGC. The flag cover is kinda cool though. 

If it were mine, I might think in terms of getting it encapsulated some day because the cover is cool and I like the way books look slabbed. But it wouldn't be a priority. 

Edited by Tony S

27 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Personally, I like it just the way it is...

Completely agree.  I would rather have it in its current state, unslabbed, than pressed and encapsulated.  IMHO, you should only consider slabbing a book if you are going to sell it and you feel certain that there will be a substantial delta in price between what it sells for raw vs. certified.  You would be amazed at how many books don't meet that criteria.

And I actually think that more books get damaged through shipping and changing hands in process of and while slabbed than those sold raw in person.  The slab itself is not archival which CGC has been fairly clear about.

By the way, cool book!

Edited by Randall Dowling

On 1/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Completely agree.  I would rather have it in its current state, unslabbed, than pressed and encapsulated.  IMHO, you should only consider slabbing a book if you are going to sell it and you feel certain that there will be a substantial delta in price between what it sells for raw vs. certified.  You would be amazed at how many books don't meet that criteria.

And I actually think that more books get damaged through shipping and changing hands in process of and while slabbed than those sold raw in person.  The slab itself is not archival which CGC has been fairly clear about.

By the way, cool book!

what about this statement on CGC website?

image.thumb.png.452eeefd13f548e752b8d849d50d38a2.png

1 minute ago, Krishosein said:

what about this statement on CGC website?

image.thumb.png.452eeefd13f548e752b8d849d50d38a2.png

That's a pretty shaky claim...

They used to recommend resending books in to change out encapsulation because they aren't using mylar or something as inert as mylar.  I think somebody in their marketing department got a little overzealous in their wording.  (tsk)

27 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

That's a pretty shaky claim...

They used to recommend resending books in to change out encapsulation because they aren't using mylar or something as inert as mylar.  I think somebody in their marketing department got a little overzealous in their wording.  (tsk)

its is mentioned a few more times about their materials being archival 

On 1/2/2020 at 7:07 PM, William-James88 said:

If you still have this comic and didn't slab it yet, be sure to. It's gonna get super hot on the market since there are only 18 comics out there with that universal label and it's the first appearance of the next big bad in the Shazam films.

Aww thanks, and I will ~

I have another copy of CMA #26 although it's in rather bad condition but I shall - there's currently 23 with the universal label.

Edited by Bart Allen

10 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Aww thanks, and I will ~

I have another copy of CMA #26 although it's in rather bad condition but I shall - there's currently 23 with the universal label.

Haha, people are catghing on. For the bad condition one, don't bother with slabbing it, it can still get you a decent amount raw. 

On 1/27/2020 at 9:27 PM, William-James88 said:

Haha, people are catghing on. For the bad condition one, don't bother with slabbing it, it can still get you a decent amount raw. 

You're right - thanks :3 But I'm still curious as to whether I should get it pressed before sending it to CGC ~

1 hour ago, Bart Allen said:

You're right - thanks :3 But I'm still curious as to whether I should get it pressed before sending it to CGC ~

For this one I don't think so. The two busted corners and staple pull is what brings down the grade the most and a press wouldn't fix them so the grade would stay the same.

On 1/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, Randall Dowling said:

By the way, cool book!

it says on the site that the slab is archival... 

image.png.026774981110fb6435012aa17058590f.png

2 hours ago, Krismusic said:

it says on the site that the slab is archival... 

image.png.026774981110fb6435012aa17058590f.png

I know.  And it’s kind of embarrassing as they are playing a game of defining “archival”.  The fact is, it’s not Mylar D, it’s not polyester film, and it’s not inert.  Most likely, it’s a pvc based product.  These will accelerate aging over time.  CGC used to recommend changing the case and reholdering every 6-8 years.  However, they apparently decided that was no longer their concern.  I can tell you that they refuse to disclose what materials are used for the case as if they invented plastic and it’s proprietary knowledge, which is kind of funny.

Edit:  I just realized, we’ve already had this conversation.  I guess somehow what I’m telling you isn’t get it through, in which case, sure, the CGC case is archival.  Also, the world is flat.  Also, the moon landing was faked.  Smoking is good for your health.  Jim Morrison is still alive and working as a grill cook in New Mexico... I can do this all day!  :whatev:

Edited by Randall Dowling
Repetitive Stress Disorder