• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I press Captain Marvel Adventures #26?

26 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I know.  And it’s kind of embarrassing as they are playing a game of defining “archival”.  The fact is, it’s not Mylar D, it’s not polyester film, and it’s not inert.  Most likely, it’s a pvc based product.  These will accelerate aging over time.  CGC used to recommend changing the case and reholdering every 6-8 years.  However, they apparently decided that was no longer their concern.  I can tell you that they refuse to disclose what materials are used for the case as if they invented plastic and it’s proprietary knowledge, which is kind of funny.

Edit:  I just realized, we’ve already had this conversation.  I guess somehow what I’m telling you isn’t get it through, in which case, sure, the CGC case is archival.  Also, the world is flat.  Also, the moon landing was faked.  Smoking is good for your health.  Jim Morrison is still alive and working as a grill cook in New Mexico... I can do this all day!  :whatev:

sorry I see that we had this conversation before.. but we don't know what they made their cases of.. doesn't mean its not archival currently... I am not one of those conspiracy theory people I am just going off what the site has stated many times over I am sure they wouldn't advertise this if it wasn't archival safe as the lawsuits that would follow could be bankrupting and extremely detrimental. I am sure someone can get the plastic tested... it could be melinex cases. Maybe we should put out a call to the boards about the plastic holders to get it test? 

3 hours ago, Krismusic said:

sorry I see that we had this conversation before.. but we don't know what they made their cases of.. doesn't mean its not archival currently... I am not one of those conspiracy theory people I am just going off what the site has stated many times over I am sure they wouldn't advertise this if it wasn't archival safe as the lawsuits that would follow could be bankrupting and extremely detrimental. I am sure someone can get the plastic tested... it could be melinex cases. Maybe we should put out a call to the boards about the plastic holders to get it test? 

It's not a bad idea.  I posted a question in the "Ask CGC" section and was given a fast shutdown, "materials are completely archival and proprietary, etc., etc. don't worry, it's all good".  And my question wasn't allowed to be posted for the public.

I should tell you that many companies will call their materials "archival" even when they really aren't.  The people that make top loaders call their product archival (it isn't).  Some makers of polypropylene bags and "acid-free" backing boards will call their products archival (they aren't).  I think it's a debatable term in advertising but I'm personally concerned with long term storage and thus, I have the same concerns that museums and the LoC have.  That means, no chemical reactions, no off gassing, and no accelerating the aging of the material stored (all things relatively speaking).  The only material that I know of that meets these criteria is polyester film (which is used in Mylar, Mylites, and other similar products).  Polyester film is what the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence are stored in so it should be good enough for comics and magazines.  2c

29 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

It's not a bad idea.  I posted a question in the "Ask CGC" section and was given a fast shutdown, "materials are completely archival and proprietary, etc., etc. don't worry, it's all good".  And my question wasn't allowed to be posted for the public.

I should tell you that many companies will call their materials "archival" even when they really aren't.  The people that make top loaders call their product archival (it isn't).  Some makers of polypropylene bags and "acid-free" backing boards will call their products archival (they aren't).  I think it's a debatable term in advertising but I'm personally concerned with long term storage and thus, I have the same concerns that museums and the LoC have.  That means, no chemical reactions, no off gassing, and no accelerating the aging of the material stored (all things relatively speaking).  The only material that I know of that meets these criteria is polyester film (which is used in Mylar, Mylites, and other similar products).  Polyester film is what the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence are stored in so it should be good enough for comics and magazines.  2c

well I posted a question to ask CGC as well. I'll see what they say now a days... but there are many cases made with mylar inert similar material so why wouldn't they use the same plastics as well specially if they are stating archival safe.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:24 AM, Bart Allen said:

You're right - thanks :3 But I'm still curious as to whether I should get it pressed before sending it to CGC ~

Yes. The roll will be revised perfectly when pressed. All corner will line up squarely, the edges flush, the book will be very attractive and have substantially more eye appeal and marketability, thus enjoying a dramatic increase in value. Press it and slab it. The full boat. You'll  be glad you did, listen to me! ^^

On 1/29/2020 at 2:54 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I know.  And it’s kind of embarrassing as they are playing a game of defining “archival”.  The fact is, it’s not Mylar D, it’s not polyester film, and it’s not inert.  Most likely, it’s a pvc based product.  These will accelerate aging over time.  CGC used to recommend changing the case and reholdering every 6-8 years.  However, they apparently decided that was no longer their concern.  I can tell you that they refuse to disclose what materials are used for the case as if they invented plastic and it’s proprietary knowledge, which is kind of funny.

Edit:  I just realized, we’ve already had this conversation.  I guess somehow what I’m telling you isn’t get it through, in which case, sure, the CGC case is archival.  Also, the world is flat.  Also, the moon landing was faked.  Smoking is good for your health.  Jim Morrison is still alive and working as a grill cook in New Mexico... I can do this all day!  :whatev:

On 1/29/2020 at 12:11 PM, Krismusic said:

it says on the site that the slab is archival... 

image.png.026774981110fb6435012aa17058590f.png

8E488893-E139-4122-9730-7EE6EF765C0F.gif.f110425f5360db65a9a5302c479cdbf8.gif
47E77FC3-063F-41BA-977A-D4AA75F5EEF8.gif.1ee99ed3894c99e395b243e5a824b58b.gif

On 1/30/2020 at 11:35 PM, James J Johnson said:

Yes. The roll will be revised perfectly when pressed. All corner will line up squarely, the edges flush, the book will be very attractive and have substantially more eye appeal and marketability, thus enjoying a dramatic increase in value. Press it and slab it. The full boat. You'll  be glad you did, listen to me! ^^

Thanks a lot :3