• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best of 2018: Results posted

19 posts in this topic

Thanks Brian and Bill for organizing this.

Thanks to everyone who took part in the Best Of and posted OA. It was great seeing all these beautiful art pieces, it was a particularly good year. Choosing my votes was arduous, as there were so many pieces I wished I could vote for. 

For those who voted for my commission: Thank you, you have great taste. (:

I have placed so much higher in the past but I didn't get more than a few this time. Heck I didn't even vote this year so it is clear my interest in actively collecting has waned a bit but I am still in the game! Congrats to everyone who participated and had fun as that is the point, not being the leading vote getter! I actually like my Green / Austin Doc page more than the BWS dps and the latter got 2 votes while the former got none!

Edited by Bird
man I love exclamation points!!!

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

I have placed so much higher in the past but I didn't get more than a few this time. Heck I didn't even vote this year so it is clear my interest in actively collecting has waned a bit but I am still in the game! Congrats to everyone who participated and had fun as that is the point, not being the leading vote getter! I actually like my Green / Austin Doc page more than the BWS dps and the latter got 2 votes while the former got none!

So long as you enjoy sharing you acquisitions that is the important thing. Seeing what everyone got over the past year is why I do it. So easy to miss stuff being posted originally. Hope next year you consider voting. 

5 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

So long as you enjoy sharing you acquisitions that is the important thing. Seeing what everyone got over the past year is why I do it. So easy to miss stuff being posted originally. Hope next year you consider voting. 

I just had no tolerance for going through every one this year and I feel that I need to do that if I am going to vote. But yes, seeing the year's buys in one place is awesome.

Incredible. Simply incredible stuff. Kirby splashes, Krenkel maidens, Fuchs illos. And boy did Wood's inking make Heck's pencils appealing! 

I never venture over that way, as I am not a skilled traveler in those parts, so thank you for posting the results/links.  :foryou:

As a matter of clarification, were all those works acquired by the owners just this past year?

10 hours ago, PopKulture said:

As a matter of clarification, were all those works acquired by the owners just this past year?

I think that's the general idea..my three entries were purchased in 2018 FWIW, was a joy to participate, thanks for organising things and thanks to you people who voted for my stuff.

I know it makes me a bad person, but I'm glad I ended up above James Halperin in the panel pages section ;) There's hope for us mere mortals yet.

First time “Best of” voter and nominee...I enjoyed seeing so many OA highlights in one place.  Like many, I was challenged to select only 5 pieces as there were like a dozen in each category that deserved standing ovations.  The process also celebrates our diverse collecting interests and individual voter tastes, rather than a parade for BSDs.  In comics, somebody has a higher grade copy of whatever you bought that year.  With art, I’m inspired knowing many of my favorites are in my budget range and have expanded my wantlist accordingly.  Looking forward to next year!

1 hour ago, GreatEscape said:

First time “Best of” voter and nominee...I enjoyed seeing so many OA highlights in one place.  Like many, I was challenged to select only 5 pieces as there were like a dozen in each category that deserved standing ovations.  The process also celebrates our diverse collecting interests and individual voter tastes, rather than a parade for BSDs.  In comics, somebody has a higher grade copy of whatever you bought that year.  With art, I’m inspired knowing many of my favorites are in my budget range and have expanded my wantlist accordingly.  Looking forward to next year!

Thanks for participating!

This is something that provides hours of enjoyment of beautiful and interesting OA. Thanks to everyone who participates and makes the effort to post their best acquisitions from the previous year. And to Brian & Bill for organizing!

In this company every single vote your own art get is just icing on the cake...:applause:

I always enjoy the picks as it never goes down like I think it will. For the Best Of, my Batman cover received one vote and my cover to a comic no one’s ever heard of (including me) with a no-name character gets six.  That’s what fun about it for me.

I vote based on nostalgia and not necessarily childhood nostalgia.  I would have voted for the 300 cover 5 times if I could because I remember being a young Marine having the time of my life and reading that book while stationed in 29 Palms, CA. Sitting in the car with my buddies on a road trip to Vegas before a deployment and buried in it while they made fun of me. Glory days.

1 minute ago, Oddball said:

I always enjoy the picks as it never goes down like I think it will. For the Best Of, my Batman cover received one vote and my cover to a comic no one’s ever heard of (including me) with a no-name character gets six.  That’s what fun about it for me.

I vote based on nostalgia and not necessarily childhood nostalgia.  I would have voted for the 300 cover 5 times if I could because I remember being a young Marine having the time of my life and reading that book while stationed in 29 Palms, CA. Sitting in the car with my buddies on a road trip to Vegas before a deployment and buried in it while they made fun of me. Glory days.

Ya, its always hard to figure out what people will vote on. Ya the famous or popular artists and series gets alot of votes. Its the obscure art that will surprise. My Jael art by Dan Smith got 7 votes. Dan Smith is an artist who worked from the late 1800s to 1930s, the art was created in 1920  and few collectors know who he is. Go figure.

On 1/22/2019 at 8:16 PM, Bird said:

I feel your pain.