• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two silver age heroes now Oscar nominees

6 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Am I the only one that thought that BP was over rated?

No. I can say that almost every co-worker/friend that saw it felt the same way. Sometimes early hype = unrealistic expectations which can't be met. I also think that the social significance depends on where you are located. Alberta is a relatively young province with a small population historically (estimated population of 165,000 in 1905 when it became an official province of Canada), and we did not have the history of racism towards African Americans that occurred in the USA. Instead, it was/is towards First Nations/Indigenous peoples. A blockbuster super hero film featuring a First Nations/Indigenous hero would be way more socially significant here.

Edited by kimik

I thought Black Panther was one of Marvel Studios' weaker efforts (predictable plot, excessive use of CGI), but I am thrilled a super-hero movie got a best picture nomination.  That is an enormous milestone for all of us CB fans.  Who knows, it might win.  (How in the world Bohemian Rhapsody (and I'm a huge Queen fan) got a best picture nomination is beyond me.)

2 hours ago, zosocane said:

I thought Black Panther was one of Marvel Studios' weaker efforts (predictable plot, excessive use of CGI), but I am thrilled a super-hero movie got a best picture nomination.  That is an enormous milestone for all of us CB fans.  Who knows, it might win.  (How in the world Bohemian Rhapsody (and I'm a huge Queen fan) got a best picture nomination is beyond me.)

Agreed...the word "bloated" comes to mind...