• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, Comic Connect, Heritage, etcetera... Wins...
32 32

2,451 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2019 at 2:45 AM, Black_Adam said:

What's with the bottom right corner? Is the slab broken or is that the seller's scanner? I noticed a few on CC looked like that... 

Not sure. As long as it’s not on the book. 

Against my better judgement, I’ve had the itch to buy some comics again and was perusing the latest Clink auction. 

There’s been talk recently of CGC going through a super-strict phase. That being the case, I was a bit surprised by some of the books in new holders I was looking at. 

There’s some early Bronze books in the 8.5-9.0-9.2 that, while maybe not over-graded, don’t strike me personally as coming from a super-strict era of grading either. 

Maybe I’ve been spoiled by strictly graded books in the grades from the past. Maybe the books have been pressed nice and flat - never understood why CGC would be lienient on color-breaking defects just because the book is flat, but I digress - and that may be what’s going on. 

Even some of the 9.8 late-Bronze/early Copper books in new holders I’ve looked at have defects that I could spot from a scan. 

Yes, yes, I know 9.8s aren’t “perfect” but again, coming from a supposedly strict era of grading, I would think defects on a 9.8 would only be noticeable in hand if at all. 

I like the new holder and since the books I’m looking at aren’t worth the re-holder fee and aren’t rare, I was trying to target books in the new holder, figuring I might be getting a more strictly graded book as a bonus. 

But more and more I’m finding myself drawn to books in the previous holder as the books in that holder - at least the ones I’ve looked at - seem to have a better appearance. 

There’s a question in here somewhere but I think I lost it. 

I guess I’m asking if it’s just me or has anyone else noticed this?  Is there a specific date range for the new holder where the books where graded strictly?

On 3/15/2019 at 5:11 PM, greggy said:

Got my January cheque today.

Woo hoo, I'm rich

Good news: January cheque showed up today.

Bad news: they forgot to send the replacement November cheque - the one I've been phoning and e-mailing repeatedly about...

:frustrated:

21 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Good news: January cheque showed up today.

Bad news: they forgot to send the replacement November cheque - the one I've been phoning and e-mailing repeatedly about...

:frustrated:

Ha ha

On 3/16/2019 at 12:05 PM, Number 6 said:

Against my better judgement, I’ve had the itch to buy some comics again and was perusing the latest Clink auction. 

There’s been talk recently of CGC going through a super-strict phase. That being the case, I was a bit surprised by some of the books in new holders I was looking at. 

There’s some early Bronze books in the 8.5-9.0-9.2 that, while maybe not over-graded, don’t strike me personally as coming from a super-strict era of grading either. 

Maybe I’ve been spoiled by strictly graded books in the grades from the past. Maybe the books have been pressed nice and flat - never understood why CGC would be lienient on color-breaking defects just because the book is flat, but I digress - and that may be what’s going on. 

Even some of the 9.8 late-Bronze/early Copper books in new holders I’ve looked at have defects that I could spot from a scan. 

Yes, yes, I know 9.8s aren’t “perfect” but again, coming from a supposedly strict era of grading, I would think defects on a 9.8 would only be noticeable in hand if at all. 

I like the new holder and since the books I’m looking at aren’t worth the re-holder fee and aren’t rare, I was trying to target books in the new holder, figuring I might be getting a more strictly graded book as a bonus. 

But more and more I’m finding myself drawn to books in the previous holder as the books in that holder - at least the ones I’ve looked at - seem to have a better appearance. 

There’s a question in here somewhere but I think I lost it. 

I guess I’m asking if it’s just me or has anyone else noticed this?  Is there a specific date range for the new holder where the books where graded strictly?

They have been brutal on copper and moderns. Or perhaps I should say they seem to have changed their criteria and are now downgrading things that were previously not downgraded, production related flaws like printers creases and bent staples. Silver and bronze seem to be graded the same and I wouldn't say they are in a particularly strict period for those.

I've bought on comiclink for years, and always found the prices yielded to be around FMV.

I decided to give them a try with selling recently. I sent in a dozen or so books...mostly keys, some hotter than others.

Well, some of the auctions are still on-going, but so far I've had one hit GPA exactly, and the rest are 15-25% below FMV.

Safe to say, I'm not impressed. I'm not blaming CL. Obviously putting anything up for auction leaves the outcome up to fate, but...I don't think I'll ever submit to CL again. It saves me trips to the post office, but is it really worth 15-25%? Which in some cases, we're talking hundreds of $$ below GPA per book...

If anything, what I'm personally experiencing makes me want to start BUYING more off CL... 

My post has no motive. Just sharing my experience to add to the collective... YMMV

3 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I've bought on comiclink for years, and always found the prices yielded to be around FMV.

I decided to give them a try with selling recently. I sent in a dozen or so books...mostly keys, some hotter than others.

Well, some of the auctions are still on-going, but so far I've had one hit GPA exactly, and the rest are 15-25% below FMV.

Safe to say, I'm not impressed. I'm not blaming CL. Obviously putting anything up for auction leaves the outcome up to fate, but...I don't think I'll ever submit to CL again. It saves me trips to the post office, but is it really worth 15-25%? Which in some cases, we're talking hundreds of $$ below GPA per book...

If anything, what I'm personally experiencing makes me want to start BUYING more off CL... 

My post has no motive. Just sharing my experience to add to the collective... YMMV

I think bids are weak this time, buyers market. Maybe a lot of the bigger spenders have been at cons?

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

I started selling my collection on the CL Exchange and Auctions in August 2018. On my third auction now. Books I want to be in complete control of sales $ for I sell on the Exchange but it takes longer. I have noticed the last auction seemed a little weak but I averaged out to -5% GPA. I wondered whether that was due to CL starting to charge state sales tax now and buyers compensating auction offers for that. To be honest, I haven't fret too much about it as I figure it all averages out and CL has been very responsive in their services to me. I hit big on my first auction (MSH 13, CGC 9.6 for $31K) so it will take me a long time to average out overall after that shocker.

51 minutes ago, SilverMAge said:

I started selling my collection on the CL Exchange and Auctions in August 2018. On my third auction now. Books I want to be in complete control of sales $ for I sell on the Exchange but it takes longer. I have noticed the last auction seemed a little weak but I averaged out to -5% GPA. I wondered whether that was due to CL starting to charge state sales tax now and buyers compensating auction offers for that. To be honest, I haven't fret too much about it as I figure it all averages out and CL has been very responsive in their services to me. I hit big on my first auction (MSH 13, CGC 9.6 for $31K) so it will take me a long time to average out overall after that shocker.

That MSH 13 was a beauty! I’m proud to say I was the 22nd highest bidder 

3 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

The stuff I'm bidding on and the stuff I'm selling seems to all be in line with the range I would expect. Maybe some examples of what you are seeing? Question also... how are you determining "FMV"? All books sell within a range, usually a pretty broad range. Take Hulk 181 in 9.4 as an example. In the last 3 months they have sold for $9K and $11K and everything in between (and this doesn't account for the multiple copies sold through venues like CL that GPA doesn't track). What is FMV then?

1 minute ago, LordRahl said:

The stuff I'm bidding on and the stuff I'm selling seems to all be in line with the range I would expect. Maybe some examples of what you are seeing? Question also... how are you determining "FMV"? All books sell within a range, usually a pretty broad range. Take Hulk 181 in 9.4 as an example. In the last 3 months they have sold for $9K and $11K and everything in between (and this doesn't account for the multiple copies sold through venues like CL that GPA doesn't track). What is FMV then?

IH 181 might not be the best point of comparison for “generic” book fmv.

10 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

IH 181 might not be the best point of comparison for “generic” book fmv.

The book doesn't matter. You can take any book and it will sell within a range. Usually that range is 15-20%, sometimes more. I picked ASM 116 in 9.4 as a completely random book, sales for the last year are between $104-185 (that's a pretty broad range). So again, what is "FMV" for an ASM 116 in 9.4?

5 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Sorry for your results but i have to say your reaction mirrors my experience exactly.  Unless you just don't want to spend any time selling your books I just don't see very good results on books unless they are single highest grade books or incredibly rare books that people can't get anywhere else.  Almost everything else will get a 10- 20% trim.  Of course that does not leave enough meat left on the bone once you factor in shipping cost to get the books, e-bay / paypal cost so I just have stopped even looking at the ComicLink auctions as a buyer.  More deals of the rest of you guys.

Edited by 1Cool

15 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Sorry for your results but i have to say your reaction mirrors my experience exactly.  Unless you just don't want to spend any time selling your books I just don't see very good results on books unless they are single copy books or incredibly rare books that people can't get anywhere else.  Almost everything else will get a 10- 20% trim.  Of course that does not leave enough meat left on the bone once you factor in shipping cost to get the books, e-bay / paypal cost so I just have stopped even looking at the ComicLink auctions as a buyer.  More deals of the rest of you guys.

Not sure why I didn't notice it as a buyer prior... Perhaps I've always been bidding on exceptionally desirable books...