• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, Comic Connect, Heritage, etcetera... Wins...
32 32

2,451 posts in this topic

On 11/1/2019 at 12:16 PM, Krismusic said:
On 11/1/2019 at 6:43 AM, an99 said:

I agree.  I bought from CLink one time, but unfortunately, never again.  They have a great selection of books, but shipping costs to Canada are ridiculous.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:33 AM, Black_Adam said:

Yep, Comiclink's $70 shipping to Canada is steep, I used to get the comics shipped to a US mailbox to save money but then they started charging state sales tax which often ended up being even more expensive. I still bid on Comiclink auctions, but only on comic(s) that will make the shipping semi-reasonable, which for myself means less than 10% of the overall cost. More than once I have won a comic worth a few hundred dollars and then had to scramble to either win more auctions or pick something up on the exchange to make the $70 fee (which is good for 1 - 3 slabs) bearable.

Otherwise, it holds me back from bidding on lower-value comics for fear that I will, as mentioned, end up with a $100 comic and a $70 shipping charge (at that point I would most likely have them relist it).

I agree with you guys shipping to Canada sucks, I only bid with taking into account my 70$ shipping fee and potential brokerage fee's wish they could do something to help Canadian collectors. 

I've been in your situation before Black_Adam where I won something and I am scrambling to get something else to make the shipping hit make sense lol. I usually try to find local guys now in Canada to save on the headaches of Comiclink, HA and such. 

Not sure why all of you would take the strategy of bidding and winning books you didn't really want just in order to justify the shipping charges?  :screwy:

Especially when there's a much simpler solution which is just to ask them to hold onto your winnings for you until you do win enough books that you feel comfortable with the shipping charges.  That is, as long as you don't mind waiting a few auctions to get your books.  hm  (thumbsu

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure why all of you would take the strategy of bidding and winning books you didn't really want just in order to justify the shipping charges?  :screwy:

Especially when there's a much simpler solution which is just to ask them to hold onto your winnings for you until you do win enough books that you feel comfortable with the shipping charges.  That is, as long as you don't mind waiting a few auctions to get your books.  hm  (thumbsu

i didn't know of this option before. I thought there was something about payment time frames in there. I saw someone else say this and Im ok with waiting for the next auction and combine them. Do I have to email Customer service for this option? 

Also I dont bid free willy on random books just to justify shipping usually there's a few books I would want but I would focus on the one book and try to get it if I do I will re look at the other books that had my interest and more than likely bid on them and try to win those as well to combine my shipping so its a bit more justified. If there's only one book I want I sit on the bench. 

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I would never bid on a comic I didn't want. It's more a case of the $70 shipping charge for 1-3 books encouraging me to dive deeper into an auction than I normally would (or search the exchange - where I normally never look unless something pops up on my want list) looking for deals to pad my order. For instance, in the last auction I had two wins and, hoping for a third, checked the remaining auctions, placed a few more bids, and was very happy to add this to my collection for only $65 (and no additional shipping).

00163632398000082031080015.jpg

4 hours ago, Krismusic said:

i didn't know of this option before. I thought there was something about payment time frames in there. I saw someone else say this and Im ok with waiting for the next auction and combine them. Do I have to email Customer service for this option? 

Also I dont bid free willy on random books just to justify shipping usually there's a few books I would want but I would focus on the one book and try to get it if I do I will re look at the other books that had my interest and more than likely bid on them and try to win those as well to combine my shipping so its a bit more justified. If there's only one book I want I sit on the bench. 

I didn't know it was an option either.  I probably should have read the fine print more carefully. 

2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

I would never bid on a comic I didn't want. It's more a case of the $70 shipping charge for 1-3 books encouraging me to dive deeper into an auction than I normally would (or search the exchange - where I normally never look unless something pops up on my want list) looking for deals to pad my order. For instance, in the last auction I had two wins and, hoping for a third, checked the remaining auctions, placed a few more bids, and was very happy to add this to my collection for only $65 (and no additional shipping).

00163632398000082031080015.jpg

Nice book! I have one in my collection as well.  I bought it off eBay for $70.

4 hours ago, Krismusic said:

I asked about holding my books (years ago) to combine shipping later and C-link said they wouldn't do it. Mainly because their checkout system is so antiquated. If this has changed I would want to take advantage!

1 minute ago, Lobo1969 said:

I asked about holding my books (years ago) to combine shipping later and C-link said they wouldn't do it. Mainly because their checkout system is so antiquated. If this has changed I would want to take advantage!

I was told the same thing. 

2 pickups from latest HA. questions: The 180 is from the Murphy Anderson collection that is now a pedigree? How do I submit this to ensure this designation? Also, the 120 is the nicest 3.0 I’ve seen, the slight spine roll and the back are obviously why it’s a 3.0, in people’s opinion, would it be worth my while to get it pressed and regraded in hopes of a grade bump? Thanks!04A91E3A-736C-46B7-B0D9-EC19BDE4285C.thumb.jpeg.4ebd21eaed983350c9025bd782ce1c13.jpeg1ADCB54B-0088-4570-B617-26D2A06A47AB.thumb.jpeg.5d508d339434ee0884ac616f53a455d8.jpegD303530F-4160-4AE0-BA75-F6EFDBC527EF.thumb.jpeg.cf5d66ab89cf8703961989b3baaded55.jpeg

2 hours ago, Lobo1969 said:

yeah I had the same situation on a few years ago unless something changed recently... @lou_fine how did you get them to hold books off. As you can see a few Canadian buyers didn't know about this as some have even emailed myself included and were told no they can't do this.... 

@an99 @Lobo1969 @Black_Adam

4 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

yeah I had the same situation on a few years ago unless something changed recently... @lou_fine how did you get them to hold books off. As you can see a few Canadian buyers didn't know about this as some have even emailed myself included and were told no they can't do this.... 

@an99 @Lobo1969 @Black_Adam

Maybe Clink allows it for domestic clients but not foreign? The shipping rates already indiscriminately inflated so... :nyah:

2 hours ago, Krismusic said:
5 hours ago, Lobo1969 said:

Well, that was quite a long time ago, so things have probably changed since my last order from CL.

If I remember correctly, that was back around 2010 or thereabouts and they sent me a box with orders covering a 2 or 3-year time period after I finally gave them approval to ship the books out to me.  Surprsingly, they didn't missed any and they also didn't bother to charge me a storage fee for having to hold onto the books for such a long period of time.  (thumbsu

Well okay, it could also have something to do with their antiquated checkout and shipping system.  lol

I did NOT win this. Someone paid an insane amount for it - the winning bid of $526 is (roughly) 4.6 times GPA for a 9.8 and 25 times GPA for the 9.6. I put in a top bid of $500. Congrats to the buyer, but wow.

00321242398000080967696012.jpg

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

I did NOT win this. Someone paid an insane amount for it - the winning bid of $526 is (roughly) 4.6 times GPA for a 9.8 and 25 times GPA for the 9.6. I put in a top bid of $500. Congrats to the buyer, but wow.

So, are you sincerely trying to convince us that $526 is an insane amount, but yet your $500 bid is a totally rational amount because it is (roughly) only 4.4 times GPA and only 24 times GPA for a 9.6 graded copy?  hm  lol

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So, are you sincerely trying to convince us that $526 is an insane amount, but yet your $500 bid is a totally rational amount because it is (roughly) only 4.4 times GPA and only 24 times GPA for a 9.6 graded copy?  hm  lol

I thought someone would hit me and I'd go to about $150 (top GPA was $115). The $500 was because I wasn't watching and never ever thought it would go that high. Had I bought it for $500 I would have been quite annoyed with myself.

Edited by FlyingDonut

2 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:
7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I thought someone would hit me and I'd go to about $150 (top GPA was $115). The $500 was because I wasn't watching and never ever thought it would go that high. Had I bought it for $500 I would have been quite annoyed with myself.

I think it's quite possible that the winning bidder is very very :censored:  :mad: with himself right now for throwing in such a high bid on the incorrect assumption that nobody else would.  doh!

That's why I generally don't even bother to bid in CL auctions because you usually end up having to throw in one of these insane atomic bomb style bids if you really want to win something.  I much prefer the CC or Heritage format where I know exactly what I have to bid in order to win a book.  (thumbsu