• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, Comic Connect, Heritage, etcetera... Wins...
32 32

2,451 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Reprint of Strange Adventures #50 Robot Cover .

00359812394000110956655019.jpg

And a parachute cover!  (thumbsu

On 1/22/2019 at 10:04 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I may be mistaken but prices seem pretty soft. All the higher grade ASM 129's sold well under GPA. My Spidey Sense is telling me the market is soft and the taxes don't help.

I did win this.........

Take a look at what the Hulk 181 in 9.8 is up to.  As of this writing it is up to $59,000 for the Mile High II Copy. 

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D1%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%23Item_1297653&id=1297653&itemType=0

Previous sale for a 9.8 was in December for $29,000.

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:04 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I may be mistaken but prices seem pretty soft. All the higher grade ASM 129's sold well under GPA. My Spidey Sense is telling me the market is soft and the taxes don't help.

I did win this.........

Take a look at what the Hulk 181 in 9.8 is up to.  As of this writing it is up to $59,000 for the Mile High II Copy. 

http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D1%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%23Item_1297653&id=1297653&itemType=0

It seems like you could have bought something good with that kind of money.

HULK 1 4.0 WP goes for 16.4k tonight! this is a stellar price, and shows just how out of touch GPA is on many important books, thanks to CL's stubbornly annoying refusal to allow their sales data to be used by GPA. last sale on GPA in this grade is $12,230, so they're only off by about 25%! i'm sure the WP helped this one get a record high price. 

hulk1-4.0WP-jan2019.jpg

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

HULK 1 4.0 WP goes for 16.4k tonight! this is a stellar price, and shows just how out of touch GPA is on many important books, thanks to CL's stubbornly annoying refusal to allow their sales data to be used by GPA. last sale on GPA in this grade is $12,230, so they're only off by about 25%! i'm sure the WP helped this one get a record high price. 

hulk1-4.0WP-jan2019.jpg

I struggle to see how GPA is out of touch here? Here are the last 5 sales we have recorded:

Dec-23 2018 - $12,230 ow-w

Sep-28 2018 - $12,979 ow-w

Jun-24 2018 - $12,000 cr-ow

Mar-29 2018 - $14,200 w

Jan-04 2018 - $10,500 ow-w

This grade doesn't come up often. I think the price is within the trend (and certainly matches the March white pager), but in general the huge growth we saw in 2014-2016 has been a little less dramatic from 2017 onwards. One price point in one auction doesn't always tell the full story. 

38 minutes ago, gpanalysis said:

I struggle to see how GPA is out of touch here? Here are the last 5 sales we have recorded:

Dec-23 2018 - $12,230 ow-w

Sep-28 2018 - $12,979 ow-w

Jun-24 2018 - $12,000 cr-ow

Mar-29 2018 - $14,200 w

Jan-04 2018 - $10,500 ow-w

This grade doesn't come up often. I think the price is within the trend (and certainly matches the March white pager), but in general the huge growth we saw in 2014-2016 has been a little less dramatic from 2017 onwards. One price point in one auction doesn't always tell the full story. 

i didnt mean to imply that it's GPA's fault. it's CL not reporting their proprietary data to you guys. i've tracked CL sales on silver age keys for a few years now and there are quite a few results which are significantly different than what appear on GPA, though not often by this much. it's a shame that some auction sites choose to prioritize secrecy and potential profit over transparency. whether or not this sale is a sign of the market now, or an outlier will reveal itself in time. but for GPA to be truly reflective of the market, CL sales ought to be included. of course i understand why they are not. i still value GPA as a very useful guide. but it's incomplete, as this demonstrates. 

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

And to all the boardies here who said nobody would even pay an extra penny for the so-called "worthless" CVA label or sticker.  :whatthe:

I guess this goes to show there really are a lot of collectors willing to pay up for a label, as clearly evident by past auctions when bidders would pay multiples more for a 9.8 graded book even though it might look worse or possibly overgraded when compared to a superior looking 9.6 graded copy.  hm  

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i didnt mean to imply that it's GPA's fault. it's CL not reporting their proprietary data to you guys. i've tracked CL sales on silver age keys for a few years now and there are quite a few results which are significantly different than what appear on GPA, though not often by this much. it's a shame that some auction sites choose to prioritize secrecy and potential profit over transparency. whether or not this sale is a sign of the market now, or an outlier will reveal itself in time. but for GPA to be truly reflective of the market, CL sales ought to be included. of course i understand why they are not. i still value GPA as a very useful guide. but it's incomplete, as this demonstrates. 

Unfortunately it doesn't demonstrate this at all. Taking all the prices across all books would, and you might be surprised at what you find, that, as with all venues with enough volume, the ups and downs don't give you an overall indication of how that venue performs. When you do take into consideration ALL data points (by averaging out each against the rest of the market) you find there is little to no difference. Otherwise the implication is one venue consistently outperforms all other venues on most books at all times. Which is frankly untrue.

Edited by gpanalysis

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

And to all the boardies here who said nobody would even pay an extra penny for the so-called "worthless" CVA label or sticker.  :whatthe:

I guess this goes to show there really are a lot of collectors willing to pay up for a label, as clearly evident by past auctions when bidders would pay multiples more for a 9.8 graded book even though it might look worse or possibly overgraded when compared to a superior looking 9.6 graded copy.  hm  

The last time we saw the Mile High II copy sell was in June 2014 for $18,750 - this was double the average 9.8 sale price around the same time. So, fast forward to today's market, maybe it has something to do with the CVA label, and maybe the market has once again paid a premium for the Mile High II copy. 

At June 2014 MHII 9.8 sells for $18,750

At June 2014 last few month's 9.8s averaged around $9,830 - so around a 1.9 multiplier

-----

At Jan 2019 MHII 9.8 price sells for $59,000 

At Jan 2019 last few month's 9.8s averaged around $33,870 - so around a 1.7+ multiplier.

I think it's all quite conceivable that this price reflects the MHII label as much as a CVA label. Both arguments could be made.

Either way, $59,000 for a Bronze Age Comic... :whatthe:

Edited by gpanalysis

Can we get back on topic here?!? :slapfight::kidaround::baiting:(::tonofbricks::ph34r::boo::fear:

Although I can't argue that $60k for a friggin' bronze-age book is gd ridiculous...

My totals were wrong from earlier...I actually ended up winning one more book that hadn't hit yet...

Make it 5 total wins for the night out of 40 attempts...paid just under GPA avg for this one too...(exactly $50 above last sale :sick:)

00008421640000110278209002.jpg

3 hours ago, gpanalysis said:

The last time we saw the Mile High II copy sell was in June 2014 for $18,750 - this was double the average 9.8 sale price around the same time. So, fast forward to today's market, maybe it has something to do with the CVA label, and maybe the market has once again paid a premium for the Mile High II copy. 

At June 2014 MHII 9.8 sells for $18,750

At June 2014 last few month's 9.8s averaged around $9,830 - so around a 1.9 multiplier

-----

At Jan 2019 MHII 9.8 price sells for $59,000 

At Jan 2019 last few month's 9.8s averaged around $33,870 - so around a 1.7+ multiplier.

I think it's all quite conceivable that this price reflects the MHII label as much as a CVA label. Both arguments could be made.

Either way, $59,000 for a Bronze Age Comic... :whatthe:

I would attribute it more to the history of that book than the CVA label and fact that it's part of a collection of books that no longer warrants pedigree status. Verzyl owned the book and that's the most significant thing about it beyond Wolverine's first appearance. Verzyl knew his books. Anything else said about this sale is pure conjecture.

10 hours ago, gpanalysis said:

Unfortunately it doesn't demonstrate this at all. Taking all the prices across all books would, and you might be surprised at what you find, that, as with all venues with enough volume, the ups and downs don't give you an overall indication of how that venue performs. When you do take into consideration ALL data points (by averaging out each against the rest of the market) you find there is little to no difference. Otherwise the implication is one venue consistently outperforms all other venues on most books at all times. Which is frankly untrue.

Been meaning to get in touch with you.  I sold a pair of 9.9's of a certain book in late 2017 for $1000 over eBay. I still saved the record of the sale from the email and I am sure I have documentation of it in my PayPal account.  The 9.8's of this book usually command $45-60.  Does CGC ever report data like this and however the data is pulled, how does it identify that the $1000 was paid for two of the books and not just one? 

16 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Peaked in last night and watched most of the key books go for pretty strong prices and went back to watching my movie. 

For the most part yes but I think the Stan Lee signed ff1 7.0 at $33,000 and af 15 7.0 blue for 85k were pretty good deals based on recent sales over the last 5-6 months.

Edited by rabidwolf