• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, Comic Connect, Heritage, etcetera... Wins...
32 32

2,451 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

I've bought on comiclink for years, and always found the prices yielded to be around FMV.

I decided to give them a try with selling recently. I sent in a dozen or so books...mostly keys, some hotter than others.

Well, some of the auctions are still on-going, but so far I've had one hit GPA exactly, and the rest are 15-25% below FMV.

Safe to say, I'm not impressed. I'm not blaming CL. Obviously putting anything up for auction leaves the outcome up to fate, but...I don't think I'll ever submit to CL again. It saves me trips to the post office, but is it really worth 15-25%? Which in some cases, we're talking hundreds of $$ below GPA per book...

If anything, what I'm personally experiencing makes me want to start BUYING more off CL... 

My post has no motive. Just sharing my experience to add to the collective... YMMV

wait to see, depening on the book they double in the last day, or last hour!

9 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Appreciate the sentiment, but the "so far" was in reference to books where the auction has already ended....c'est la vie. Can't do anything about it now...

giphy.gif

oh, yikes. 

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Sorry for your results but i have to say your reaction mirrors my experience exactly.  Unless you just don't want to spend any time selling your books I just don't see very good results on books unless they are single highest grade books or incredibly rare books that people can't get anywhere else.  Almost everything else will get a 10- 20% trim.  Of course that does not leave enough meat left on the bone once you factor in shipping cost to get the books, e-bay / paypal cost so I just have stopped even looking at the ComicLink auctions as a buyer.  More deals of the rest of you guys.

How about some numbers to support this assertion? Here, I'll give you some numbers to refute it as I think your impression is just flat out misinformation relative to anything desirable and/or key. 

ASM 300 in 9.4 and 9.6. In the last year I've sold 13 in those grades, pretty much evenly split between eBay and CL. This is neither single highest graded nor incredibly rare (quite the opposite obviously). The 2 9.4s on ebay averaged $434, the 3 on CL averaged $444. The 5 9.6s on ebay averaged $674 and the 3 on CL averaged $660.

How about New Mutants 98s, since I have a very good sample size and again pretty much the opposite of incredibly rare and none were single highest graded. In the last couple of years, 8 copies in 9.8 on ebay for an average of $746, 5 on CL at $765. 6 copies in 9.6 on CL at $353 and 9 copies on ebay at $338.

NYX 3 in 9.8. 7 copies on CL $882 average. 5 copies on ebay $853 average.

Where is this 10-20% trim on books that aren't either single highest graded or incredibly rare?

Edited by LordRahl

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

How about some numbers to support this assertion? Here, I'll give you some numbers to refute it as I think your impression is just flat out misinformation relative to anything desirable and/or key. 

ASM 300 in 9.4 and 9.6. In the last year I've sold 13 in those grades, pretty much evenly split between eBay and CL. This is neither single highest graded nor incredibly rare (quite the opposite obviously). The 2 9.4s on ebay averaged $434, the 3 on CL averaged $444. The 5 9.6s on ebay averaged $674 and the 3 on CL averaged $660.

How about New Mutants 98s, since I have a very good sample size and again pretty much the opposite of incredibly rare and none were single highest graded. In the last couple of years, 8 copies in 9.8 on ebay for an average of $746, 5 on CL at $765. 6 copies in 9.6 on CL at $353 and 9 copies on ebay at $338.

Where is this 10-20% trim on books that aren't either single highest graded or incredibly rare?

You're never paranoid about selling expensive books on Ebay? I've been giving some thought about going to CL for expensive books to eliminate any possibilities of being 'taken' by scammers.

13 minutes ago, Gaard said:

You're never paranoid about selling expensive books on Ebay? I've been giving some thought about going to CL for expensive books to eliminate any possibilities of being 'taken' by scammers.

No real issues with outright scammers but you do get a fair bit of non paying bidders which can be a hassle.

22 hours ago, LordRahl said:

You are comparing prices you realized on e-bay and on ComicLink and are not comparing the 12 month GPA prices for those books.  Aren’t all of your prices listed about 10% under GPA averages?

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

You are comparing prices you realized on e-bay and on ComicLink and are not comparing the 12 month GPA prices for those books.  Aren’t all of your prices listed about 10% under GPA averages?

Ummm... what other venues are there that you think get 10-20% more? Also, my sales are actual sales. You know, the kind that aren't shilled to inflate prices on eBay

2 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Ummm... what other venues are there that you think get 10-20% more? Also, my sales are actual sales. You know, the kind that aren't shilled to inflate prices on eBay

I’m not sure about shilling bumping up GPA but I said my ComicLink sales seem to be consistently 10%-20% below GPA and your examples of your sales were pretty close to 10% off GPA.  I find I don’t have too tough a time getting pretty close to GPA for hot books on E-Bay but I also set my BINs a bit higher and accept GPA offers.  I found I was getting quite a trim on prices on ComicLink especially when the books were more common so I stopped selling in there.  

41 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I’m not sure about shilling bumping up GPA but I said my ComicLink sales seem to be consistently 10%-20% below GPA and your examples of your sales were pretty close to 10% off GPA.  I find I don’t have too tough a time getting pretty close to GPA for hot books on E-Bay but I also set my BINs a bit higher and accept GPA offers.  I found I was getting quite a trim on prices on ComicLink especially when the books were more common so I stopped selling in there.  

Shilling is absolutely bumping GPA up, fake "sales" have been talked about here at length. Marketplace manipulation is absolutely a thing on eBay because it's so easy to pull off. Take ASM 300 in 9.6 as an example. One 9.6 sale at $1250 while literally 5 other copies sold for $500 less at the same time. You think that's a legit sale? And it is absolutely skewing the average up. 

You're also conflating BIN and auction prices. If you are setting BIN's on ebay and getting more than you are at auction, it follows that you'd also get more on the exchange with CL. The format is what is influencing the price, not the venue. Some of us however don't have the patience/time to wait weeks/months to get 10% more. 

Bottom line is auction prices on eBay are not 10-20% higher than CL, which is what it sounded like you were saying.

Very easy to drive up values on books and manipulate GPA 

All you have to do on lower end books is build in free shipping to the price.  I have made mention of this before. 

Say GPA on a book is $50.  A slab that is priced at $50 + shipping is basically the same price as a slab that is $62 including shipping.

As soon as the $62 copy sells it has jumped up GPA by over 20%. 

Now that instance is meaningless on higher price items.  However I noticed this when a seller had multiples of a con book around 5-6 years back and was pulling this trick.  With each sale the price of his remaining stock went up. 

15 hours ago, CycleGirl said:

I picked this up at the last Heritage Auction. The price was a bit higher than gpa, but it was the book and grade that I very much wanted. Sellers seem to have pretty high expectations on this book in higher grades.

detective-359.thumb.jpg.48f104fc3c5a6c27adb51a53beebba00.jpg

Compared to SA Marvel keys that have exploded in price over the last two years, I think you did quite well. Great book and grade! In 1-2 years if Warner/DC can put out a decent Batgirl flick I think we'll see a nice up tick in this book. 2c

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Picked up some lower mid grade GA stuff. The EC Books ... lately it seems you might as well just throw GPA out the window.   The Whiz Comics was a decent deal considering what I have seen the book go for recently. 

00427211555000110218077007.jpg

I thought hard about bidding on this, because I knew it was cheap.  Really cool book, nice grab.