• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, Comic Connect, Heritage, etcetera... Wins...
32 32

2,451 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

After watching this auction so closely, my suspicion is that there are simply fewer bidders. I really had to resist bidding on some Witching Hours that also went quite cheap.

Crud.  Now I wish I had looked over every listing in this auction. Better scour to see what’s left. 

I really try and stay focused with my purchases...but you make hay when the shines too. 

16 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Ok, I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this or if it rubs some the wrong way but I need to get this figured out.  

My question is with regard to Heritage auctions.  I don’t often bid on their auctions as 90% of the time I get skunked by bidders who seem to have more money than sense. 

But I also heard for a long time about how Heritage employees are allowed to bid in Heritage auctions and the innuendo that there’s shill bidding going. 

I’ve never been sure if that’s accurate or just gossip and/or sour grapes. But occasionally I’ll see something like what I saw just now and it makes me wonder.

A couple of weeks ago I spotted several books I was interested in on HA.  At first I was excited because it looked like an opportunity to fill a lot of gaps in my collection. But while the grades on the labels were nice, the books looked like they were graded very loosely. Since I try and “buy the book, not the label” I eventually decided to throw in a couple of half-hearted bids...and of course was blown out of the water. 

So this afternoon I’m searching eBay and lo and behold what do I see?

E0E5D882-52E2-4E89-9EF4-3750EABEC3AC.thumb.png.9d88ccb7fcaab0339a8608fca8cf892a.png  
This is listed on eBay by HA for $149.95 OBO

A35A7346-E030-415D-BF3A-AAF4DFA31FAB.thumb.png.f260403ac0a9751eccf9a572e4e074ba.png

Look familiar?  Supposedly ended for $144.00 on HA

5732FF94-03CC-4E19-B0AA-F254E11CE59F.thumb.png.4d52fe378d515e45dea05d8188ddce26.png

This is listed for $119.95 OBO...

981E745D-5578-4A41-9A6F-46E85290AD59.thumb.png.6ce798324f5705fcec48fe829575c504.png

...but ended on HA for a paltry $43

CB0845D4-B54E-416A-AE4B-B3DE8971C1F3.thumb.png.4bf8d620191d983a658d80508b8ceda6.png

And again listed by HA on eBay for $139.95 OBO....

EC7D0113-A5BD-47C0-9DAF-B9E9B4BFC88B.thumb.png.dcf35ed7d524c32cce042bc6ff34f3b7.png

...but “sold” for $47 in their own auction.

(Incidentally, these aren’t the actual books I bid on, just part of the group) 

So what gives?  

Is this an example of HA employees shilling their auctions and getting stuck as the high bidder and now trying to blow these out the back door on eBay?

If the consigner doesn’t like the results can he just unilaterally void the auction?

Or likewise, if HA doesn’t like the results, can they just void the results and then sell through eBay?  It’s interesting that in the HA listings they provide supposed past HA auction results for similar books. And of course, all those results make it look like these books go for stupid money. They sure don’t look like these results. 

Is this simply a case of buyer’s remorse and the high bidder backing out?  But I’ve seen this type of thing more than once. Does HA have that many dead-beat bidders? And why?  The last two books even with buyer’s premium sold for just a little over the cost of slabbing. Why back out of that?

I’ll like to get some input because HA has another book I’m interested but I’d to know if it’s even worth the time and effort to mess with. 

I'd ask @Joe All Star about this. he's consignment director at heritage auctions, i believe. 

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Or likewise, if HA doesn’t like the results, can they just void the results and then sell through eBay?  It’s interesting that in the HA listings they provide supposed past HA auction results for similar books. And of course, all those results make it look like these books go for stupid money. They sure don’t look like these results. 

Not sure what you mean when you say the previous auction results for these exact same books in the exact same grades had completely different results:  ???

1)  The Star Trek #59 you pointed out sold for $43 while the HA Archives indicates a total of 10 copies in CGC 9.4 graded condition selling between $35 to $66;

2)  The Star Trek #56 you pointed out sold for $47 while the HA Archives indicates a total of 8 copies in CGC 9.4 graded condition selling between $47 to $88; and

3)  The Star Trek #49 you pointed out solf for $144 while the omly other listed CGC 9.4 graded copy on HA sold for $131.45.

Looks like the winner of these 3 Star Trek books probably got the first 2 at a good price and is now simply hoping to flip them for a completely outrageous BIN price which he will most likely not be getting.  No harm in a seller asking whatever he wants, although I strongly doubt that anybody will bite given the prior HA results.  hm  (shrug)

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like the winner of these 3 Star Trek books probably got the first 2 at a good price and is now simply hoping to flip them for a completely outrageous BIN price which he will most likely not be getting.  No harm in a seller asking whatever he wants, although I strongly doubt that anybody will bite given the prior HA results.  hm  (shrug)

Yeah, looks like your right. 

I’m pretty sure that HA also has an eBay account. I saw the Heritage watermark on the pictures and jumped to the conclusion that it was their account selling these. 

Looks like he just re-using the pictures from the HA auctions. Wonder if he realizes he’s tipping off potential buyers as to were they can find the previous auction results. Good luck to him.  

My bad. I’ll go back and delete my original post. 

This eBay listing is NOT a Heritage listing. Presumably listed by the 100% legitimate buyer using our images, which We have no problem with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Trek-49-CGC-9-4-1978-Gold-Key-0148362005-File-Copy-Random-House-Archives/264681342495?hash=item3da03cc61f:g:fOgAAOSwpc1efpTJ

March Auction started ending last night, wow there were some deals to be had. 
Thought the GI Janes and the Farmer's Daughter books went for fair to under-market prices.  

Journey into Unknown Worlds 37 (graded by the competition as a 6.0) was a steal at $292 considering a CGC 5.0 sold for $355 two years ago.

Keys that I was tracking held up (CS22 in 3.0)... 

What do you guys think? Anyone get any good deals?  

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

What do you guys think? Anyone get any good deals?  

I was comfortable with what I paid for these two... I don't see the Chambers of Chills 1 often so I figured at $150... why not?

Frontline Combat was a, "why not?" purchase.  I might pass that on to someone else down the road. 

00073131525000112096099002.jpg

00057731650000112069905008.jpg

Had a dozen tracking bids in, about 3-4 books I was fairly interested in, but walked away with only 1 win...78DCC731-03E6-467A-AE7E-279EAE986789.jpeg.242a0e47a8eacc23451a429cd2ea9d09.jpeg

...which is fine as it’s the 1 I wanted to win the most and it looks like there’s several books in the next round that I’ll be seriously interested in. 

So now I have to message Clink to see about holding this book for shipping until the next round. 

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Had a dozen tracking bids in, about 3-4 books I was fairly interested in, but walked away with only 1 win...

...which is fine as it’s the 1 I wanted to win the most and it looks like there’s several books in the next round that I’ll be seriously interested in. 

So now I have to message Clink to see about holding this book for shipping until the next round. 

I want them to ship my stuff pronto this time. Too much uncertainty right now.

2 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I want them to ship my stuff pronto this time. Too much uncertainty right now.

Well, $20 for 1 book is bit much for me. 

I’m not saying it isn’t a legitimate concern, but for me personally if I thought there was a very real chance I wouldn’t get my book I wouldn’t have bid at all. 

I’ll pay with my CC and if the postal system completely collapses between now and the next Clink auction I suspect being out the $100 I spent on this book will be the least of my concerns. 

On 4/5/2020 at 4:35 PM, Number 6 said:

Well, $20 for 1 book is bit much for me. 

I’m not saying it isn’t a legitimate concern, but for me personally if I thought there was a very real chance I wouldn’t get my book I wouldn’t have bid at all. 

I’ll pay with my CC and if the postal system completely collapses between now and the next Clink auction I suspect being out the $100 I spent on this book will be the least of my concerns. 

Well, sure, the USPS ain't goin' under. But they could cancel the next auction or have to shutter their doors for some period of time. Anyhow, that's just me. I come from a family of worriers. It's great fun. :| 

To round out my order, two more cheapies.

00060942394000082083005010.jpg 00134412394000081571148006.jpg

1 hour ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Well, sure, the USPS ain't goin' under. But they could cancel the next auction or have to shutter their doors for some period of time. Anyhow, that's just me. I come from a family of worriers. It's great fun. :| 

To round out my order, two more cheapies.

00060942394000082083005010.jpg 00134412394000081571148006.jpg

Hey  -  I was bidding on that Warlock!

Glad you won..., lol

20 hours ago, lizards2 said:
21 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

00134412394000081571148006.jpg

Hey  -  I was bidding on that Warlock!

Why..............is it because those baddies that Warlock is fighting looks quite similar to your avatar image?  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

16 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Why..............is it because those baddies that Warlock is fighting looks quite similar to your avatar image?  :bigsmile:

No..., because my copy is 9.0/9.2

On 4/9/2020 at 7:03 AM, bluehorseshoe said:

I thought the Clink window for below GPA deals was going to close because there were no cons or other avenues to give money to, but still seems like half the books on there sell for way below GPA.  Picked up all these below GPA

Well, that's probably because a sizeable portion of the CGC generation of collectors who tend to buy these kinds of relatively common books (except for the uber HG CGC label) might just no longer have a job which they can depend upon in this current Covid-19 situation.  hm  :(

17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, that's probably because a sizeable portion of the CGC generation of collectors who tend to buy these kinds of relatively common books (except for the uber HG CGC label) might just no longer have a job which they can depend upon in this current Covid-19 situation.  hm  :(

I think your wrong on a bunch of different fronts. But I dont care either way. Good talk.

Edited by bluehorseshoe