• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, Comic Connect, Heritage, etcetera... Wins...
32 32

2,451 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

???

000000000.thumb.jpg.eca9370fbcdf6bac96a44e7f0eea30d9.jpg

7 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

Somebody is:flipbait:

Orrrrrrr.... our hobby has unwittingly become a vehicle for money laundering. 

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

The end is definitely nigh 

lol Will it be Impish or admirable?

Anytime, anyone uses that word I think of Dwight, Jim and the Belsnickel 

"I am NIGH!"

"He is FINALLY NIGH!!!"

1158102074_Heisfinallynighcopy.thumb.png.88fbe56fb02166525f7484554429a4e3.png

1 hour ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Anyone have a sense if this insanity is happening with DC books? Or is this just a Marvel phenomenon? Perhaps brought on by the popularity of the movies and Disney going all in.

Lois Lane 1, 6.0 went for less than the Dec sale noted on GPA. This was not the most perfect copy, but there are only 212 Universal issues, compared to Lois Lane #70 which has 733 Universal issues and the 6.0 is tied for 25th from the top. Not that being 25th is anything to write home about but it's a book that was read and 6.0 is considered on the high side for this issue.

Superman 8 went for less than I expected, but the dust shadow might have had something to do with it. Some of the other Superman issues went for  quite a bit more than the most recent sales, but nothing like those 9.8 Marvels.  

16 hours ago, ronnieramone said:

No, I am a software engineer, so I assumed they have a socket open updating the status in real-time.  The ticking clock seemed real enough.  Expecting users to refresh the page every second is unacceptable in 2021.

I am a bit spoiled in my line of work so I forget how bad some web applications are.  Comiclink is pretty miserable, in my opinion.  I'll stick to Heritage and ComicConnect.

I have found and won many sweet books on ComicLink, often at much better prices than HA. But sure, go ahead and stay off this site in the future, better chance of winning for the rest of us. 

20 hours ago, William-James88 said:

OOOoof, you were in for a rough awakening with Comiclink. That site still operates like it was 2005. Wait till you get that spider 404 page. Always takes me back to 1998.

You're talking about real time and that site doesn't even let you track a book without bidding on it.

Also, by all means go on Heritage and enjoy paying 10% more + extra credit card fees. Hope that real time is worth it.

Paying 10%-20% more doesn't bother me in the slightest.  My time is worth a lot more to me than that.  Who knows how much of it I have left?  Wasting that time on a frustrating user experience with a high probability of serious disappointment is not how I'd like to spend it.

4 hours ago, Spyder! said:

I have found and won many sweet books on ComicLink, often at much better prices than HA. But sure, go ahead and stay off this site in the future, better chance of winning for the rest of us. 

My situation is probably different from yours.  The other sites give me the opportunity to outbid would-be snipers.  That style of auction gives me the advantage of often (though not always) being able to spend more money than my opponent -because I am given the time to do so- and that gives me a much higher win percentage there.  Winning the thing that you want leads to a much more gratifying experience over all.  It is a much better experience than being sniped at the last second without so much as an idea of how much you would have needed to outbid them by.

I would argue that other people in much better financial situations than myself share in my frustrations there, and that is why you are seeing such enormous prices on 9.8s or higher, especially on Comiclink.  The people with tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend on comics very likely could drop millions if they so chose.  If they want a book bad enough and they don't understand the market or how much they should bid, why not enter a ridiculous number like a hundred grand?  Or two hundred grand?  That's the only way to guarantee you will not be outbid when the timer goes off.  Trouble is, all you need are two such individuals to drive up the cost of the high-end books to the maximum.

It's exactly what I would do if I had that level of income.

52 minutes ago, jas1vans said:

So if I am reading this right, it's NOT the time for me to start looking into that first big $100 book for my collection?

Sure you can...the deal is that it used to be a $30 book just last week.