• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, Comic Connect, Heritage, etcetera... Wins...
32 32

2,470 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, pickycollector said:

I won the one book that I wanted the most in this auction :banana:

Strange Tales 97 CGC 8.0.jpg

Nice pick up. I went back and forth on that one. In the end there are other books higher on my priority list in this auction. It is a MUCH nicer copy than the other 8.0 closing next week.

2 hours ago, ronnieramone said:

Paying 10%-20% more doesn't bother me in the slightest.  My time is worth a lot more to me than that.  Who knows how much of it I have left?  Wasting that time on a frustrating user experience with a high probability of serious disappointment is not how I'd like to spend it.

My situation is probably different from yours.  The other sites give me the opportunity to outbid would-be snipers.  That style of auction gives me the advantage of often (though not always) being able to spend more money than my opponent -because I am given the time to do so- and that gives me a much higher win percentage there.  Winning the thing that you want leads to a much more gratifying experience over all.  It is a much better experience than being sniped at the last second without so much as an idea of how much you would have needed to outbid them by.

I would argue that other people in much better financial situations than myself share in my frustrations there, and that is why you are seeing such enormous prices on 9.8s or higher, especially on Comiclink.  The people with tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend on comics very likely could drop millions if they so chose.  If they want a book bad enough and they don't understand the market or how much they should bid, why not enter a ridiculous number like a hundred grand?  Or two hundred grand?  That's the only way to guarantee you will not be outbid when the timer goes off.  Trouble is, all you need are two such individuals to drive up the cost of the high-end books to the maximum.

It's exactly what I would do if I had that level of income.

I have been blown out of the water on CL the last two auctions  and was paying 20-30% over market so I feel you. I also agree on extended format, before the insane run up, I did very well in CC auctions because I could match the bids toe to toe, since I had lost a few I was positioned stronger in the ones I really wanted. In hindsight I should have tried to buy everything leading to December that I actually wanted.

Just last night I ran up 4 auctions myself that are highlighted in other threads as shockers that I was willing to grab at higher prices, each one was sniped, but I imagine even if we could bid it out, the final bidder was locked in and I would have just cost him more money. 

26 minutes ago, PKJ said:

I have been blown out of the water on CL the last two auctions  and was paying 20-30% over market so I feel you. I also agree on extended format, before the insane run up, I did very well in CC auctions because I could match the bids toe to toe, since I had lost a few I was positioned stronger in the ones I really wanted. In hindsight I should have tried to buy everything leading to December that I actually wanted.

Just last night I ran up 4 auctions myself that are highlighted in other threads as shockers that I was willing to grab at higher prices, each one was sniped, but I imagine even if we could bid it out, the final bidder was locked in and I would have just cost him more money. 

Obviously when you want the highest graded copy you're not shy about it.  I'm conflicted about which auction format gets better results for the seller.  Does extended bidding give a buyer more time to justify a higher price or does a hard ending cause win at all cost bids?  The rarefied air you are playing in gives you a unique insight but I'm guessing the asset euphoria we're seeing has more to do with it than the auction format.  Incidentally, I bought a book back on night two that I idiotically sold once.  $1200 mistake.  Glad Reuben Blades didn't want it back too.

Edited by ThothAmon

39 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

Proudly overpaid for these two bad boys after losing out at the last few seconds on ASM 1 5.0 and 33 9.0 :pullhair::

image.thumb.png.15357be90a328a6b442424270ae56a62.png

image.thumb.png.aeeb2b0911b6bf6d959dbb5da70d76d7.png

Just resub the 121 for a bump to 9.4 ( and probably a PQ upgrade ) to offset your over bids.

Might as well get a matching label to the 122 while it’s there.:wink:

23 hours ago, PKJ said:

Okay, see you know exactly what I am talking about.  The one I lost I had a max bid of about 30% over GPA and would have gladly bid more if I'd only realized I needed to.  Had I been able to do it again, I would have put a much higher maximum to try and guarantee the win.  Depending on who I was up against, I still might have lost, of course.

Under those circumstances, though, all it takes is two people who really want something (and for whom money is a minor obstacle) to drive up the price to record levels.  They may close at prices neither bidder realistically thought they might need to pay, but there you have a very simple explanation for your spiking auction results.

When you look at these... someone or multiple people are clearly trying to buy the highest grade keys available and the cost of having those in their collection is a trivial matter.  Think about it, what are you going to do if the CEOs of two major mega-corporations decide on a whim that they want to hold a friendly competition to see who can amass the best comic book collection in thirty days?  The pandemic is manifest boredom even for the ultra-elite.

I'm just saying, I wouldn't rule it out.

1 hour ago, JazzMan said:

That is almost 3X market value.  And I thought I overpaid.  Yeesh....  

That one is a perfect example of two people going at it, if you look the third player was out @8500   So if all the same players are in the room next time except for the "fortunate" winner of this copy, I doubt we see the same result.

3 hours ago, PKJ said:

That one is a perfect example of two people going at it, if you look the third player was out @8500   So if all the same players are in the room next time except for the "fortunate" winner of this copy, I doubt we see the same result.

I just wished that bidders did that when it's me selling on Clink.

On 2/25/2021 at 10:04 AM, djpinkpanther67 said:
On 2/25/2021 at 9:59 AM, pickycollector said:

Marvel Super-Heroes #13 CGC 9.6 sold for $16,450 :screwy:

The price went from $8,000 to the final result within the last 5 minutes

I hope it’s that cheap when I decide to go after one

Yes, although it went from $8K up to $16,450 within the last 5 minutes, it went from $31,111 down to this $16,450 mark in the past 15 months.  :tonofbricks:

On 2/25/2021 at 5:50 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 2/25/2021 at 5:48 PM, pickycollector said:

New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 sold for...$42,000 :facepalm:

Money well spent 

Where is @Boston Corbett-migration when he can continue to lecture us all on NM 98 and finally rightfully get to say after all these long years:  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

THUS ENDTH THE LESSON!!!  lol