• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, Comic Connect, Heritage, etcetera... Wins...
32 32

2,451 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

There’s like maybe 3 people on the planet besides me that collect Mopsy, but apparently they were out in force for last night’s weekly Heritage auction. I remained undeterred 

By the way, you gonna try to go for this? I don't think it will end up too expensive, all things considered.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/gladys-parker-mopsy-daily-single-panel-comic-strip-original-art-dated-9-27-63-bell-mcclure-syndicate-1963-/a/122027-11622.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

Yes, thanks.  I have this one saved in my watchlist, and It goes off tonight.  But so far I've resisted the urge to start down the road of original art.  I'm probably going to let it go.  If I can find some of Gladys Parker's original art from the early '50s, I may go for it.  This one comes from a later period.

3 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes, thanks.  I have this one saved in my watchlist, and It goes off tonight.  But so far I've resisted the urge to start down the road of original art.  I'm probably going to let it go.  If I can find some of Gladys Parker's original art from the early '50s, I may go for it.  This one comes from a later period.

Yeah, I know. I noticed it was from the 60s, I guess that's why all these go for less than 300$. Still cool though and it made me think of you. 

I have another question for you. I too collect golden age that, while not ultra popular, is rare enough that I can get into a bidding war over it and I get to point where I realize that the price this win gets may shape the value of that comic for years to come. Or it can just be a blip and I am the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who overpaid, since if there's only two of us who are willing to pay this much, if ever I put it up for auction again, that same price may not be obtained. And if I let it go for cheaper than the price it would get if I keep bidding, I keep the recorded price low enough that I could get it for that price (or the same factor over guide for another grade) next time the comic comes up again (even if that's next year). But then I have to wait of course. Just want to share what goes through my head on such occasions. Do you think of this too? What made you go all the way on this one? 

24 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Yeah, I know. I noticed it was from the 60s, I guess that's why all these go for less than 300$. Still cool though and it made me think of you. 

I have another question for you. I too collect golden age that, while not ultra popular, is rare enough that I can get into a bidding war over it and I get to point where I realize that the price this win gets may shape the value of that comic for years to come. Or it can just be a blip and I am the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who overpaid, since if there's only two of us who are willing to pay this much, if ever I put it up for auction again, that same price may not be obtained. And if I let it go for cheaper than the price it would get if I keep bidding, I keep the recorded price low enough that I could get it for that price (or the same factor over guide for another grade) next time the comic comes up again (even if that's next year). But then I have to wait of course. Just want to share what goes through my head on such occasions. Do you think of this too? What made you go all the way on this one? 

image.gif.f3483606daaafcb180946c19dd36173c.gif

if it’s a 5 figure and up book, I only pull the trigger if I feel I can get my money back. I’m only renting the books anyway, the way I see it.

If it’s less than a 5 figure book, I run the numbers thru a complicated algorithm and then say oh WTF. These books I really think I’m going to lose money on. I buy Mopsy because I find Gladys Parker to be a fascinating person

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

26 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

image.gif.f3483606daaafcb180946c19dd36173c.gif

If it’s less than a 5 figure book, I run the numbers thru a complicated algorithm and then say oh WTF. These books I really think I’m going to lose money on. I buy Mopsy because I find Gladys Parker to be a fascinating person

Haha, and yeah the reason I ask is because it does look like you may lose money (or at least there's a bigger chance than on other GA books) and I was curious, since I have been there too. Thanks for the response!

I actually don't know why consignors get some of these books even slabbed in the first place.  doh!

Especially considering the fact that the slabbing costs for so many of them are higher than what they can sell the slabs for, even before the other ancillary costs associated with selling are added in.  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

22 minutes ago, jbud73 said:

Has anyone seen their wins from the May Comic Connect Auction? 6 weeks and counting for me. :insane:

I won 3 books in the May CC auction and just received them yesterday.  I had called and nicely asked about the status last week.

Good luck, and hope you receive your books soon.

Hey jbud --

I got my one win in the mail today after sending the check the day after the auction finished.  Pretty standard Comiclink timing, so far as I can tell.

19 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I actually don't know why consignors get some of these books even slabbed in the first place.  doh!

Especially considering the fact that the slabbing costs for so many of them are higher than what they can sell the slabs for, even before the other ancillary costs associated with selling are added in.  :tonofbricks:

I would bet a lot of low dollar slabbed books where the case is almost worth more than the comic were sent in by first-time CGC submitters who envisioned nearly every comic returning as an easy 9.8, possibly even a perfect 10! Thank you CGC for crushing their dreams.

On 7/7/2020 at 5:08 PM, jbud73 said:

Has anyone seen their wins from the May Comic Connect Auction? 6 weeks and counting for me. :insane:

I got mine within a week and a half after the auction ended

8 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

I would bet a lot of low dollar slabbed books where the case is almost worth more than the comic were sent in by first-time CGC submitters who envisioned nearly every comic returning as an easy 9.8, possibly even a perfect 10! Thank you CGC for crushing their dreams.

I recently got a lot, which the person wouldn't break out, just to fill in a few difficult issues.  So along with the ones I wanted, I got a bunch of others that even though they were in 9.8, I couldn't get much more than the price of the slab for them (I think I ended up doing $25 with free shipping on a bunch of them).  I was thinking that he just sent in 25 to get prescreened as 9.8s and maybe got surprised by how many filler books actually ended up slabbed.  The only choice then was to put it in a lot for some sucker like me. 

23 hours ago, Drummy said:

Hey jbud --

I got my one win in the mail today after sending the check the day after the auction finished.  Pretty standard Comiclink timing, so far as I can tell.

Yeah, very reliable timing for shipping and payment in my experience. As for shipping, check out and pay before the auction ends if you can, and you'll get things pretty quickly a lot of the time.

5 hours ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

I got mine within a week and a half after the auction ended

Still waiting.

On 7/6/2020 at 12:49 PM, JakeM said:

I was kind of surprised this book went for the price it did. This exact copy got flipped twice last year according to GPA. This one will now stick around in our collection for a while. I adore this wild cover.

lf.jpeg

the colorist did a great job on that cover