• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, Comic Connect, Heritage, etcetera... Wins...
33 33

2,480 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2021 at 5:30 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 2/25/2021 at 5:21 PM, Buzzetta said:

Who wants to be the brave soul that bids $44,000 just to see if one of those lunatics bids $46,000?

3EBB2EAC-4666-4E8C-B799-C6BAD5452860.gif

You two frigging stupid screwballs..............I took your advice and placed a bid of exactly $44,000 and nobody took it up to $46,000!!!  :frustrated: :mad:  :censored:  

WTF:..............now I am stuck with this drek "common as dirt" book here all because of you two knuckleheads:  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dtransformers%2B1%26ItemType%3DCB%26CGC%3DYES%26CBCS%3DYES%23Item_1452303&id=1452303&itemType=0

00063922399000111127459004.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

51 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

You two frigging stupid screwballs..............I took your advice and placed a bid of exactly $44,000 and nobody took it up to $46,000!!!  :frustrated: :mad:  :censored:  

WTF:..............now I am stuck with this drek "common as dirt" book here all because of you two knuckleheads:  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dtransformers%2B1%26ItemType%3DCB%26CGC%3DYES%26CBCS%3DYES%23Item_1452303&id=1452303&itemType=0

00063922399000111127459004.jpg

3093 of these have been graded!!!  

1 hour ago, Black Bat said:

3093 of these have been graded!!!  

Oh sorry, my mistake and clearly my bad then..................nowhere even close to the 13,966 copies of Hulk 181 that's already been slabbed.  doh!

I am absolutely surprised then that this "super rare"  :devil:  Transformers 1 didn't hit into 6-figures like what the Tomb of Dracula 10 did.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/26/2021 at 6:18 AM, ronnieramone said:

The other sites give me the opportunity to outbid would-be snipers.  That style of auction gives me the advantage of often (though not always) being able to spend more money than my opponent -because I am given the time to do so- and that gives me a much higher win percentage there.  Winning the thing that you want leads to a much more gratifying experience over all.  It is a much better experience than being sniped at the last second without so much as an idea of how much you would have needed to outbid them by.

I would argue that other people in much better financial situations than myself share in my frustrations there, and that is why you are seeing such enormous prices on 9.8s or higher, especially on Comiclink.  The people with tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend on comics very likely could drop millions if they so chose.  If they want a book bad enough and they don't understand the market or how much they should bid, why not enter a ridiculous number like a hundred grand?  Or two hundred grand?  That's the only way to guarantee you will not be outbid when the timer goes off.  Trouble is, all you need are two such individuals to drive up the cost of the high-end books to the maximum.

I would definitely tend to agree with you in terms of the atomic bomb style snipe bids that takes place right in the last few seconds of an auction using the CL or EBay auction format, as per one of my previous posts from the X-Men 94 thread in the BA Forum:  hm  (thumbsu

On 2/25/2021 at 10:38 PM, lou_fine said:

Oh yes they do, if you take into consideration the fact that the two auction formats are completely different from one another.  hm

The Heritage auction format (similar to the CC 3-minute extended bidding format) keeps the auction going one bid at a time until there is an eventual winner.  This clearly provides the bidder with some time to consider if they rationally should take the bid up to the next bid increment or not.  Especially in the case of the CC auction format which gives you an extended 3 minutes to decide which believe me, is a whole lot of time for you not to make any irrational bidding decisions.  hm  (thumbsu

The CL auction format is much like the eBay format and as such, an auction ends right on the button according to its pre-designated scheduled time.  As such, this will at times clearly work out to the advantage of the consignor when it comes to hot in-demand books as you will often get two potential bidders who decide that they want a particular book and each will end up throwing in a Hail Mary completely out of this universe bid on the assumption that nobody else would be that stupid to throw in a similar kind of bid.  :screwy:  :fear:

If you take a look at the bidding history of this particular X-Men 94 lot, it looks like the bidding was sitting at only the $8K range with less than 10 seconds to go before a couple of most likely automated computerized sniping programs jumped it right into the $20K+ range in the last 7 seconds of the auction which must have put the consignor into a big huge  :whee:  :banana: party mood.  Clearly the case of a consignor's dream come true with this scenario, but for the lucky unlucky winner, it's really more of a self-induced nightmare come to life and yet nobody to really blame but themselves. :screwy: :screwy:

I'll most definitely  :takeit: , the money that is!!!  :bigsmile:

Is it just me, or did CL do away with their search function? I guess you still have the option of using that tiny search function at the top of the page, but I preferred the other one. You know, old age/larger fonts. :preach:

9 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I've been outbid on over 20 lots in this auction and still 20 more to go... also likely losses, and so far managed to win one that I wanted. It was higher than FMV but the prettiest 9.0 I've seen in some time. Auctions usually require going out of our comfort zone. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Slu3e9o.jpg

Awesome looking copy :applause:

9 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I've been outbid on over 20 lots in this auction and still 20 more to go... also likely losses, and so far managed to win one that I wanted. It was higher than FMV but the prettiest 9.0 I've seen in some time. Auctions usually require going out of our comfort zone. GOD BLESS....

Slu3e9o.jpg

Wish all 9.0s looked like that.:cloud9:

10 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Slu3e9o.jpg

This is another example of what @THE_BEYONDER and I have spoken about when it comes to centering and presentation.  This book is often found with the white of the back cover creeping to the front.  I would take this book over one of those off center 9.2’s and 9.4’s any day of the week. 

Great pickup... 

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Oh sorry, my mistake and clearly my bad then..................nowhere even close to the 13,966 copies of Hulk 181 that's already been slabbed.  doh!

I am absolutely surprised then that this "super rare"  :devil:  Transformers 1 didn't hit into 6-figures like what the Tomb of Dracula 10 did.  :bigsmile:

Did you actually buy it? 

23 hours ago, ronnieramone said:

Okay, see you know exactly what I am talking about.  The one I lost I had a max bid of about 30% over GPA and would have gladly bid more if I'd only realized I needed to.  Had I been able to do it again, I would have put a much higher maximum to try and guarantee the win.  Depending on who I was up against, I still might have lost, of course.

Under those circumstances, though, all it takes is two people who really want something (and for whom money is a minor obstacle) to drive up the price to record levels.  They may close at prices neither bidder realistically thought they might need to pay, but there you have a very simple explanation for your spiking auction results.

When you look at these... someone or multiple people are clearly trying to buy the highest grade keys available and the cost of having those in their collection is a trivial matter.  Think about it, what are you going to do if the CEOs of two major mega-corporations decide on a whim that they want to hold a friendly competition to see who can amass the best comic book collection in thirty days?  The pandemic is manifest boredom even for the ultra-elite.

I'm just saying, I wouldn't rule it out.

There are also ways to manipulate, screw around with, and infuriate the competition on a comic connect auction since their auctions have extended bidding that all occur at the same time and bounce all over the place depending on the bids. 

11 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Wish all 9.0s looked like that.:cloud9:

That wrap was what snagged me .... it's perfect. That, plus what looks like borderline 9.2 condition gave me the impetus to bid high. Whoever I outbid would have won it if they had just upped their bid one notch.... maybe they should have just sold the car ....

I can't believe I spent that much, I remember buying mint copies of that one in the early 90's for 30 bucks. It's one of Batman's TOP foes' 1st appearance, so I'll get used to it. GOD BLESS....

... People are making a lot of why prices are so high at auction, but this one scenario, which is an accurate one, is the comfort that wealthy over seas buyers have with shipping guarantees from the deep pocketed auction houses. I've actually shipped using Comiclink's fixed price listing... splitting the 10% with the buyer, just to have shipping in their hands. Good for the South Pacific and a few other problem regions.

I must confess, seeing the serial number series of 375******* on the book didn't hurt. Anytime you find a book graded during a period where "too tight" grading threads are popping up :whistle:

GOD BLESS....

25 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Did you actually buy it? 

Why YES, YES, of course I did and what a STEAL OF A DEAL that turned out to be now that I know a lot more about its super rarity, courtesy of @Black Bat   :whee:  :banana:

Being the nice guy and generous chap that I am though, and considering that it has only a tiny infinitesimal 3,093 slabbed to date plus the fact that the TOD 10 sold for $106,350; I am willing to take the sacrifice and sell it to you for the same $106,350 amount.  Especially since that sale took place quite a few days ago which is like a full lifetime when it comes to the increasing valuation of comic books in today's red hot hyper marketplace.  :devil:

:takeit:  :takeit:  , YOUR money, that is!!!  lol

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Why YES, YES, of course I did and what a STEAL OF A DEAL that turned out to be now that I know a lot more about its super rarity, courtesy of @Black Bat   :whee:  :banana:

Being the nice guy and generous chap that I am though, and considering that it has only a tiny infinitesimal 3,093 slabbed to date plus the fact that the TOD 10 sold for $106,350; I am willing to take the sacrifice and sell it to you for the same $106,350 amount.  Especially since that sale took place quite a few days ago which is like a full lifetime when it comes to the increasing valuation of comic books in today's red hot hyper marketplace.  :devil:

:takeit:  :takeit:  , YOUR money, that is!!!  lol

lol

Hey...

Nothing surprises me anymore so... I had to ask. 

27 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

lol

Hey...

Nothing surprises me anymore so... I had to ask. 

So, are you saying your answer is a BIG YES to our deal here before the price shoots up even further!!!  lol :whee:  :banana:  

If so, you can wire the money straight into my Swiss bank account and I'll contact CL to ship the Transformers 1 directly to you then.   :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

I believe that I overpaid for this copy of Batman 292 on Heritage but it looks like a great copy.  Not sure if I should have pulled the trigger on it though. $630

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/batman-292-dc-1977-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122107-15086.s

Edited by Antonio
include image

21 minutes ago, Antonio said:

I believe that I overpaid for this copy of Batman 292 on Heritage but it looks like a great copy.  Not sure if I should have pulled the trigger on it though. $630

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/batman-292-dc-1977-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122107-15086.s

1.jpg

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon
greggy is a dork

1 hour ago, Antonio said:

woah wtf?! 620!? I bought a great looking raw for 10$ a few years ago. I'm surprised there aren't more on the census. Might get mine graded.

Edited by William-James88