• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, Comic Connect, Heritage, etcetera... Wins...
32 32

2,471 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Point Five said:

That's great!  (thumbsu  I've got a low-grade copy... rarely see it above VG or so.  

Thanks !

I had only seen it pop up on Heritage and kept bidding there but the pricing was more than I wanted to pay for it.

I CGC 4.5 went for $330 last year and a raw VG+ went for $660 on Heritage back in January. 

So I figured $350 for the 5.5 was a fair price in comparison.   At this point I have all the WDCS war books.  I just have to get one of them graded for the set. 

On 4/30/2021 at 3:05 AM, Bludriver said:
On 4/29/2021 at 8:21 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Maybe try eBay...Check this out this WMD just sold tonight on Clink for 235.  The second one is one I have been trying to sell on eBay for like 4-5 months... I don't get ithm

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 11.16.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 11.20.51 PM.png

Expand  

This happens all the time. People bid with blinders on.

On 4/30/2021 at 5:43 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

I had a book on eBay listed at $3700 for a year. Put it in a ComicConnect auction and it sold for $5800. I was happy, but it made no sense. Some collectors affluent collectors don't do their due diligence. 

On 4/30/2021 at 9:16 AM, batmiesta said:

Last months Clink auction sold a FF G/S #2 in a 9.6 for around $900 (if I remember rightly) yet there were 2 on ebay one at or around $225 the other $275 so try to figure that one out. O.o

You guys are all completely right as I ALSO SIMPLY DON'T GET IT.  O.o

I guess it's all really a matter of knowing your customer base and the marketplace that you are putting your items in.  A perfect analogy would be if you have a designer brand fashion item and you want to get top dollar for it, would you expect the deeper pocketed customers to peruse the local flea market or army surplus store to pick up items of interest that suit their fancy or would they be more likely to go to Rodeo Drive or similar type haunts to window shop for their items.  It's not exactly rocket science here, but guess which venue would get you more dollars for the exact same item.   hm   doh!

Unless it's the super hot and readily available items that you see in the marketplace all the time like a Spidey 300, Hulk 181, MOKF 15, etc, I don't understand why you would expect comic book shoppers to scroll through tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousand of comic book items on a regular ongoing basis to see if there is anything there on eBay that might interest them enough to risk placing a bid on with a seller that they most likely have never ever heard of.  Believe me, this is very time-consuming, strenuously tedious, and highly non-productive WORK for anybody to go through if they want to window shop for a comic book that might spark their interest.  :p

The key thing that I simply don't understand in this whole equation here is why do THE SELLERS choose to select the eBay venue to sell their items if they truly feel that they have a vintage collectible item that should be going for top dollars.  Why not select an professional comic book auction site like CL or CC to do all of the hard laborious work in terms of coming up with the listing description, shipping and handling, dealing with customer complaints and related issues, etc. and you can get all this for LESS THAN what you have to pay to Ebay and PayPal and one where YOU have to do all of this work yourself.  Most of all, if you want top dollars for all of your hard work, why go to eBay where you indeed do have the world wide web, but guess what, you have the wrong eyeballs looking at your items.  The big dollar comic book buyers and most of the CGC label chasers who willingly open up their wallets tends to roam through the comic book auction sites much more so than on eBay.  hm

Bottom-line:  So, if you want top dollar for your collectible comic book, why not take it to a site (for a cheaper cost to you and less work) which is specifically tageted to those types of customers, as opposed to taking it to a site (for a higher cost to you and all the work) where basement bargain hunters go to fish through tens of thousands of pieces of drek to hopefully find something of value that might interest them.  To me, it's an absolute no-brainer and I just don't get it.  :makepoint:  (shrug)

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I guess it's all really a matter of knowing your customer base and the marketplace that you are putting your items in.  A perfect analogy would be if you have a designer brand fashion item and you want to get top dollar for it, would you expect the deeper pocketed customers to peruse the local flea market or army surplus store to pick up items of interest that suit their fancy or would they be more likely to go to Rodeo Drive or similar type haunts to window shop for their items.  It's not exactly rocket science here, but guess which venue would get you more dollars for the exact same item.   hm   doh!

Unless it's the super hot and readily available items that you see in the marketplace all the time like a Spidey 300, Hulk 181, MOKF 15, etc, I don't understand why you would expect comic book shoppers to scroll through tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousand of comic book items on a regular ongoing basis to see if there is anything there on eBay that might interest them enough to risk placing a bid on with a seller that they most likely have never ever heard of.  Believe me, this is very time-consuming, strenuously tedious, and highly non-productive WORK for anybody to go through if they want to window shop for a comic book that might spark their interest.  :p

The key thing that I simply don't understand in this whole equation here is why do THE SELLERS choose to select the eBay venue to sell their items if they truly feel that they have a vintage collectible item that should be going for top dollars.  Why not select an professional comic book auction site like CL or CC to do all of the hard laborious work in terms of coming up with the listing description, shipping and handling, dealing with customer complaints and related issues, etc. and you can get all this for LESS THAN what you have to pay to Ebay and PayPal and one where YOU have to do all of this work yourself.  Most of all, if you want top dollars for all of your hard work, why go to eBay where you indeed do have the world wide web, but guess what, you have the wrong eyeballs looking at your items.  The big dollar comic book buyers and most of the CGC label chasers who willingly open up their wallets tends to roam through the comic book auction sites much more so than on eBay.  hm

Bottom-line:  So, if you want top dollar for your collectible comic book, why not take it to a site (for a cheaper cost to you and less work) which is specifically tageted to those types of customers, as opposed to taking it to a site (for a higher cost to you and all the work) where basement bargain hunters go to fish through tens of thousands of pieces of drek to hopefully find something of value that might interest them.  To me, it's an absolute no-brainer and I just don't get it.  :makepoint:  (shrug)

Simple. You don't always get top-dollar through CL or CC. It's not a guarantee. 

I've done well with high value books on the big auction sites, but have had some disappointing experiences as well. And by disappointing, I don't just mean low hammer prices, but buyers who have backed out, and a clerical error that kept me from getting paid for 6 months. Once they figured it out they wired me the money that day, but it was concerning. Plus sometimes there's just more hysteria driving up prices on eBay

Don't get me wrong, I'm not overtly defending eBay. And my wife has instructions that if I get hit by a bus tomorrow to call Vin at CC and sell my collection. 

I'm just agnostic when it comes to buying and selling books. There isn't one true place that's universally better. The market is changing too quickly. 

Last week I sold a book (2x GPA) thru an Instagram dealer's live auction. 5% consignment fee and was paid in Bitcoin.  

Edited by MatterEaterLad

8 hours ago, ectocooler said:

I won a book on comiclink’s auction for the first time. I paid right away, just curious how long does it usually take to ship?

My experience is they ship pretty quick.  Should have it in 1 to 2 weeks.  All books in their auctions are on site.

I was charged for some books on 4/14 that still hasn't shipped, but I'm assuming the wait is due because of auction items and exchange items shipping together.

On 5/2/2021 at 1:57 PM, lou_fine said:

Never had a chargeback or other BS with CLink that lost me money, time, and anger that reduced my life expectancy.  That, plus greater profit on average, is why CLink and never ebay again. 

Edited by whomerjay

On 3/24/2021 at 1:12 PM, musicmeta said:

I only have a the #3 in 9.4. It's the only issue I'm missing in 9.8

I think there’s one in the clink May auction. But I may have mistaken it for the GSAV3

I subbed a GSMOKF3 a few months back... It might get 9.6

1 hour ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

I think there’s one in the clink May auction. But I may have mistaken it for the GSAV3

I subbed a GSMOKF3 a few months back... It might get 9.6

You are right about GSMOKF3 in 9.8 on clink in May. I saw that a couple of weeks ago.   I'll be bidding on it for sure but not going to bid too crazy though.  This one may just sail past me if the bidding gets to crazy like the last one.

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

This is the second CLINK auction I didn't win anything.  Similar experience with Heritage.  I did win a few books on ComicConnect recently but I am finding myself backing away from picking up more stuff to fill my house with.

I feel the same.  2021 is the year of the purge as far as I am concerned.   I had an awakening and looked around and said, "What is the purpose of all of this?"  So far I am down 4x 25gallon rubbermaids, 3 short boxes of comics and various other drawers of stuff.  I am going through clothes and everything.   After this year, I will very likely take a complete year off from buying AND selling anything.

Refresh and reevaluate and all that. 

11 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I feel the same.  2021 is the year of the purge as far as I am concerned.   I had an awakening and looked around and said, "What is the purpose of all of this?"  So far I am down 4x 25gallon rubbermaids, 3 short boxes of comics and various other drawers of stuff.  I am going through clothes and everything.   After this year, I will very likely take a complete year off from buying AND selling anything.

Refresh and reevaluate and all that. 

I am doing a big "sort for sale" exercise right now.  All my books were in a pretty random state so I split them out by Marvel, DC, and everything else.  Now I am going through and separating into individual titles then I will put in issue order.  I bought an extra 10 magazine boxes and 100 of these dividers to help with the organizing.  I figure once I am done I will pull stuff to send in to CGC and then off to be sold.

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 8.39.02 PM.png