• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oldest Original Owner Collection
1 1

80 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I love your history, Marty...not many people left who bought books off the stands in WWII.

Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure...I truly enjoy sharing posts of my collection with the collecting community.  As I've said before , when I was buying these books

off the newsstand, never did I think I would be sending pictures of them through the air.

Marty

4 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Hey Marty. Glad to see you posting here again. My impression from the forum across the street was that folks aren't as interested in older books.

Thank you!...happy to say my collection has been well received at many of the threads out there.

Marty

On 1/28/2019 at 8:12 PM, MrBedrock said:

This is super interesting to me. I have heard from other older collectors that different newsstands carried different publishers and that some publishers, like Nedor and as you mention here - Street and Smith, were specifically available in train stations or on trains. Fascinating stuff. Thanks Marty!

It is interesting.  Makes me wonder whether S&S was targeting an adult audience by selling at train stations.

When I was a kid in the 1960s, I don't remember stores catering to any specific line.  But, of course, there were only a few active companies by then.  The only exception I can recall is a shoe repair store that for some reason had an extensive display of Classics Illustrated for sale, but no other comics. 

I remember that in the early to mid 1940's  English teachers were not happy about CLASSIC COMICS...

they felt that students were reading them instead of the actual books.  I was reading them but I never had an

opportunity to use one for a school report.

IMG  DR  (200 dpi).jpg

Every once in awhile I am shocked and pleased to discover that a COMIC BOOK I bought back in 1947 for 10 cents

was sold  for $720.00 in just VG condition at the December 30, 2018 HERITAGE AUCTION...never would I have

believed that back then.  

IMG  JUNIOR #9  (200 dpi).jpg

On 2/1/2019 at 8:10 AM, Marty Mann said:

I remember that in the early to mid 1940's  English teachers were not happy about CLASSIC COMICS...

they felt that students were reading them instead of the actual books.  I was reading them but I never had an

I used them a couple times, but much later than that. Trouble is, they omit some of the minor plot threads. I was the only kid in my english class that did oral book reports - I figure, why not, when a comma fault or three spelling mistakes gets you an "F."  A few times I was asked by the teacher about some nuance that was lacking in the Classics and I was thankfully able to initiate a bit of a group discussion with a few of the brainiacs that also read the book in order to cover myself. Good times.  :cloud9:

Edited by PopKulture

On 2/1/2019 at 4:10 AM, Marty Mann said:

IMG  DR  (200 dpi).jpg

Holy Moley, I also have a copy of this Classic Comics #13 4 HRN28.  Love these early issues, they were so well done and entertaining.  :x

1822695289_ClassicComics134HRN28.thumb.jpg.460ce696bfb0dca7482e43ac547a083d.jpg

On 1/23/2019 at 2:56 PM, Marty Mann said:

Started in 1942 with a copy of ALL-WINNERS #4 (CGC Grade 3.0 Cream to Off-White) continued until 1954 when I joined the NAVY.

Books were packed away until 1970 when I attended a Comic Book Show with my two boys.  Went home from the show and dug them

out.

Thanks for asking...

Marty

Love the story of your collection!

Not sure if it's been asked before, did your sons get the comic collecting gene?

2 hours ago, GACollectibles said:

Love the story of your collection!

Not sure if it's been asked before, did your sons get the comic collecting gene?

Yes they both did, now owning a large collection of original owner newsstand Bronze Age gems.

Marty

Edited by Marty Mann

Out of the boxes of comics I bequeathed to my little brother in the '50's, I did save my 3D's at the time.  The Three Dimension Comics and Tor, I bought at the local news stand in the fall of 1953 for the princely sum of a silver quarter each.  These books, BTW, are an inch taller, and about a half inch wider, than the average comic book produced at that time.

The last three I had bought from a comic book ad in 1959, for I think it was a dollar.  I was highly pissed that on the best one somebody had apparently spilled coffee.

Three Dimension Comics.jpg

Tor.jpg

The House of Terror.jpg

True 3D.jpg

Captain 3D.jpg

The one thing that offered me a challenge, was trying to find issue number two of Comics that only published one issue (One-Shots).

There was no one to tell you that there was only one issue...so I spent an awful lot of time searching newsstands for Comics that

would never exist.

IMG  KO  (200 dpi).jpg