• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion on flaw
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, first time posting. I wanted to see if I can get an opinion from an experience user. 

I want to get an Adam Hughes comic which seems to be in overall good shape but for one flaw. There is a small tear at the top spine, probably caused by the binding process.

My question is would this one flaw by itself prevent the copy from getting a 9.8?

I appreciate any thoughts. 

E01D33FD-8E21-4F99-96FF-DE7D18EFFA9D.jpeg

7 minutes ago, GFlo said:

Hey everyone, first time posting. I wanted to see if I can get an opinion from an experience user. 

I want to get an Adam Hughes comic which seems to be in overall good shape but for one flaw. There is a small tear at the top spine, probably caused by the binding process.

My question is would this one flaw by itself prevent the copy from getting a 9.8?

My guess is MAYBE.  If you want a CGC 9.8 I would just buy one already slabbed and then you can eliminate the maybe...

Added bonus, you won't have to wait 6 months to get your book slabbed!

Edited by Karl Liebl

Good logic and I thought of that. Price is an issue though. It would be 250-300 as opposed to 140 or so. 

I just bought another AH cover for $220 and it’s getting so expensive. 😕

4 hours ago, GFlo said:

Good logic and I thought of that. Price is an issue though. It would be 250-300 as opposed to 140 or so. 

I just bought another AH cover for $220 and it’s getting so expensive. 😕

to me the price is negligible to get the book in the grade you are seeking. The $140 price tag you mention means you are looking for the virgin variant. Submitting it to be graded has a cost, as does shipping it. The total cost would be around $200 by my estimate and there is no guarantee of getting the 9.8 grade. You could spend $200 to get a CGC 9.4, or CGC 9.6.

Why not just pay $50 more to get the CGC 9.8?

Actually the $140 is the total: they’re going for $100+ (without any indication that the more expensive ones are in better condition) and the service they qualify for (modern) is $20. Shipping should be $20-30. That puts the difference at $100 assuming the next one that goes on sale sells for $250 (last one was on December). I have a feeling that when available it’ll go north of $300 as there are very few.

The issue I see is that it compounds. So it’s $100-$200 for this one comic. Then the next would be the same and now it’s $200-$400. That’s not sustainable as I want to build a collection at a slow but steady pace. 

So do you also think that this is a maybe like Karl (BTW, thank you, Karl!) or a nay?

21 hours ago, GFlo said:

If there's nothing else wrong with it, and if that's from the binding/printing process then it should have no problem being graded a 9.8. That's not something, absent other flaws or defects, that prevents it from obtaining that grade. 

The Marvel's Project sketch covers had even more noticeable spine corner issues, and I submitted probably 35 of them that were free of other defects and mine came back 9.8's across the board. 

I won't lie I'm talking out of my rear end here with a total guess.

I'm going to say that it is an acceptable 9.8 as it is one that came from shipping and 9.8 isn't a perfect score.  As long as that is the only defect.  This is just my humble opinion and if it comes back a 9.6 then I guess I'm wrong. lol 

Good luck anyway. 

4 hours ago, RedKSuperman said:

I'm going to say that it is an acceptable 9.8 as it is one that came from shipping and 9.8 isn't a perfect score.  As long as that is the only defect.  This is just my humble opinion and if it comes back a 9.6 then I guess I'm wrong. lol 

Good luck anyway. 

If that happened from shipping, then it is damage and a flaw in the eyes of CGC. The only chance he has at a 9.8 is if the book is otherwise perfect and CGC is seeing this flaw on all their submissions.  I say No, it will not get a 9.8, nor should it. It's an in-your-face flaw that should be downgraded. I would not be happy buying this book as a 9.8 slab. 

15 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If that happened from shipping, then it is damage and a flaw in the eyes of CGC. The only chance he has at a 9.8 is if the book is otherwise perfect and CGC is seeing this flaw on all their submissions.  I say No, it will not get a 9.8, nor should it. It's an in-your-face flaw that should be downgraded. I would not be happy buying this book as a 9.8 slab. 

There-in lies another issue :shipping. The book has not shipped yet and that is another gamble all by itself. Will the seller pack it well to prevent anything else happening to the book during transport? 

Here is a copy that doesn't have the small tear:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Captain-Marvel-1-Adam-Hughes-1-100-Virgin-Variant-NM/143100981504?hash=item21517bb100:g:60EAAOSw9z9cNUs8:rk:8:pf:0

In fact I looked at about 10 random listings and none of them had the tear.