• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

National Comics collecting thread
1 1

89 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Jayman said:

My only National, purchased because it reminded me of my dad who was in the South Pacific in WWII.

National%20Comics%20%2031_zpsyp96hyzh.jp

Very cool - did your dad talk much about his South Pacific wartime experiences?

On 1/23/2019 at 11:39 AM, buttock said:

I got my start with a copy of #7

Well, you definitely can't get a better start than going with a National #7:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, National Comics #7 Mile High pedigree (Quality, 1941) CGC NM+ 9.6White pages. Here is the most sought after of all the issu...

Not sure whatever happened with this Church copy in the end as I distinctly remember Heritage having this copy featured in their auctions about 12 to 15 years ago, with it going unsold a few times as it did not meet reserve.  ???

I imagined it must have eventually found a good home in the end as it is an absolutely gorgeous cover and seems to be rather under appreciated as compared to the rest of Fine's more recognized classic covers.  Never could figure out why as I think it is one of his best covers out there with the detailed artwork and use of colors.  :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, you definitely can't get a better start than going with a National #7:

It was love at first sight when I first glimpsed National 7 in Richard O’Brien’s iconic ‘The Golden Age of Books’.

I have one of the CGC 8.5 copies on the Census, one of my favs and a permanent keeper. :cloud9:

40 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

It was love at first sight when I first glimpsed National 7 in Richard O’Brien’s iconic ‘The Golden Age of Books’.

I have one of the CGC 8.5 copies on the Census, one of my favs and a permanent keeper. :cloud9:

Steve,

That is exactly where I first laid eyes on it and it was what moved me to GA.  Then I found Alan Light's reprints - Flashbacks, Black Condor/Ray, CM Jr. and I have been a Lou Fine and Raboy and many others ever since.  Now if I an ever win a lottery to get a Fantastic Comics #3 :cry:

National is a Quality title that interests me mostly for Lou Fine's exceptional covers. This is also one of those titles where the idea of a run has little appeal for reasons I'd rather not go into here.

My copy of #16, originally acquired through the Bedrock Exchange and Conservatory... 

3490b051-21f4-4f69-adfa-59545c7e169a_zps

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Over the years I finally came to realize that I don't like 7 as much as the consensus.  I'm not saying it isn't a great cover, because it is.  I just find that there are a number of other Fine covers that I like as much if not more.  

That being said, if anyone has a high grade copy, I'll take it.

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

National is a Quality title that interests me mostly for Lou Fine's exceptional covers. This is also one of those titles where the idea of a run has little appeal for reasons I'd rather not go into here.

My copy of #16, originally acquired through the Bedrock Exchange and Conservatory... 

3490b051-21f4-4f69-adfa-59545c7e169a_zps

Lovely copy!  

12 hours ago, buttock said:

24 is one that I have had a hard time finding.  I think it's a wonderful cover!

I agree it's a cool cover; I got lucky as far as locating it. A young antiques dealer that I do a lot with called me one day because he landed a small stack of GA. He's mostly a Silver and Bronze guy, so he was planning on keeping the Cap 12 from the small pile and moving the rest. So I grabbed some cash and spare bronze keys and we worked out a deal for this book, a Pep 40, and Silver Streak 16 that day. I eventually got to buy the Cap a few months later (felt like years!) when he swallowed a large, key-laden collection of bronze books.