• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

National Comics collecting thread
1 1

89 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, telerites said:

I wanted to get a MH National and remember them being auctioned.  Haven't they or at least some come up periodically since then?  Isn't there Larson #1 in like 6.5?  I have a few peds in my runs and at one when I was more eager, I wanted to add other peds but finally my wallet spoke some sense into me and I was able to pay for daughter's college.  

Yes to all of that.

11 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

So, you're susceptible to being browbeaten into selling comics? hm

It has happened.

7 minutes ago, telerites said:

I wanted to get a MH National and remember them being auctioned.  Haven't they or at least some come up periodically since then?  Isn't there Larson #1 in like 6.5?  I have a few peds in my runs and at one when I was more eager, I wanted to add other peds but finally my wallet spoke some sense into me and I was able to pay for daughter's college.  

I believe that student loans were invented to meet just this contingency. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I believe that student loans were invented to meet just this contingency. 

I did the undergrad and continue all of her insurances and living expenses.  I am hoping my ex pays for grad school which the kiddo starts this Fall and that has been our agreement Although nothing specified in the divorce decree.  If it falls back on me, student loans are on the horizon.  :cry:

I was very happy when I found a few National covers in collections that I purchased.  BZ used to advertise for original art and may still be interested if anyone has any.

27358113245_329680da89_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

9 hours ago, telerites said:

Great books, Jeff. You might need an edit on this post. You have 35 where the 31 should be.

Edited by MrBedrock

On 1/25/2019 at 11:25 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, you definitely can't get a better start than going with a National #7:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, National Comics #7 Mile High pedigree (Quality, 1941) CGC NM+ 9.6White pages. Here is the most sought after of all the issu...

Not sure whatever happened with this Church copy in the end as I distinctly remember Heritage having this copy featured in their auctions about 12 to 15 years ago, with it going unsold a few times as it did not meet reserve.  ???

I imagined it must have eventually found a good home in the end as it is an absolutely gorgeous cover and seems to be rather under appreciated as compared to the rest of Fine's more recognized classic covers.  Never could figure out why as I think it is one of his best covers out there with the detailed artwork and use of colors.  :cloud9:

A few years ago, I was at a dinner with other collectors and a fellow board member requesting anonymity shared his 2 new Church acquisitions, one of which was this book.  It’s pretty stunning.  The colors and gloss are shocking in hand.  I’ve always been a big fan of Lou Fine’s work and agree this book is well below most peoples’ radar.

11 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

You might have forgotten US 6

Indeed I did, Bruce.  Here it is and I have posted the Police Comics #111 similar cover before but thought I would share it again.

1811121035051.jpg

1710170938051.jpg

Edited by telerites

On 1/25/2019 at 4:47 PM, buttock said:

Over the years I finally came to realize that I don't like 7 as much as the consensus.  I'm not saying it isn't a great cover, because it is.  I just find that there are a number of other Fine covers that I like as much if not more.  

I do prefer 16 over 7, but both are such strong efforts.