• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone recommend a decent shipping tape?

44 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I shouldn't be surprised that a forum of detailed collectors who perform studies on various comic storage materials, is as hardcore about their packaging tape...yet I am.

I just use whatever clear tape they sell at the post office or at Office Depot/Staples.  It's heavy duty and holds my packages together.  Heck, I even use it to tape some corners as added protection.

I'm hoping to begin shipping five to ten packages a day. Saving on shipping supplies can add up quickly. I sold two oversized boxes this week and charged $12 less than actual cost. A stupid and costly mistake. Getting a handle on both ends of shipping can really add to the bottom line. My Post Office has prices at least 50% more than Amazon.

53 minutes ago, Gaard said:

A somewhat related question...

Why is blue painter's/masking tape considered superior to regular masking tape when packing comics?

Some people use it for the interior of the package because it removes easily.  I don't believe it is allowed by the post office for external use on the box, and it would not work very well there.  Just the interior.

32 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
1 hour ago, Gaard said:

Why is blue painter's/masking tape considered superior to regular masking tape when packing comics?

Some people use it for the interior of the package because it removes easily.  I don't believe it is allowed by the post office for external use on the box, and it would not work very well there.  Just the interior.

I use it for exactly this reason.  There's nothing worst than when sellers tape the books together with heavy duty packing tape.  If you buy several books and they all come taped together, your only solution is to use a knife to cut the tape.  Which then means you have to be careful not to cut the book/bag/boards.  Also, the bag/boards are a total loss at that point forcing you to re-bag (which isn't a problem if you typically re-bag anyways).  Blue painters tape on the other hand comes off easy and doesn't leave a sticky residue behind.  I always tape books together, then tape them to the middle of cardboard so they don't shift, then sandwich the cardboards ends together and tape that as well.  Anywhere there's tape i'll fold the ends so it's easy for the buyer to lift and peel.  (Then of course this goes in the box/package which is taped with legit packaging tape.)

20 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:
58 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
1 hour ago, Gaard said:

I use it for exactly this reason.  There's nothing worst than when sellers tape the books together with heavy duty packing tape.  If you buy several books and they all come taped together, your only solution is to use a knife to cut the tape.  Which then means you have to be careful not to cut the book/bag/boards.  Also, the bag/boards are a total loss at that point forcing you to re-bag (which isn't a problem if you typically re-bag anyways).  Blue painters tape on the other hand comes off easy and doesn't leave a sticky residue behind.  I always tape books together, then tape them to the middle of cardboard so they don't shift, then sandwich the cardboards ends together and tape that as well.  Anywhere there's tape i'll fold the ends so it's easy for the buyer to lift and peel.  (Then of course this goes in the box/package which is taped with legit packaging tape.)

I seal books in a slab bag or other oversize bag, as additional wet weather insurance, and so that tape is not on comic sleeves.  Sometimes I will then wrap in newspaper, so the tape comes off extra easy, prior to sandwiching.

4 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

This is a pretty good tape. I listen to it a lot when i'm shipping.

powerslave-mc-usa-cassette.jpg

Aces High. :x

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Personally I hate any tape near a book. If you are shipping multiple books simply put them in a larger bag with some cardboard inside the bag, and tape that shut. I get in some orders where the box weights 3 pounds and 2 of it is tape. 

Edited by joeypost

I place multiple bagged/boarded comics inside of a larger plastic bag. 

Then I sandwich with cardboard. 

Then I use blue painters tape. 

The plastic bag prevents any pull damage in the highly unlikely event that it occurs from the blue painters tape. 

The WORST is when someone tapes the comic to a piece of cardboard, especially the back of the comic! You try to slide or (heaven forbid) lift the book off the cardboard and WHAMMO! Bends and stress. 

After packaging thousands of books, I've learned that LESS IS MORE when it comes to tape! 

..and yes, the quality of packing tape varies wildly. Cheap tape is absolutely worthless IMHO. 

I also use an Exacto knife to deal with all the superfluous tape I encounter. I can be more precise and careful with the book. 

I don't know how the receiving department peeps at CGC keep their sanity. I would love to hear some of the horror stories concerning the way customers package their books. 

Edited by newshane

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I always tape books together, then tape them to the middle of cardboard so they don't shift...

I loved the rest of your post, but I absolutely despise this practice. :mad:

If the cardboard is properly sized and cut, there is no need because the outer tape will prevent the books from shifting. 

Edited by newshane

1 minute ago, newshane said:

I loved the rest of your post, but I absolutely despise this practice. :mad:

If the cardboard is properly sized and cut, there is no need because the outer tape will prevent the books from shifting. 

I'm confused how the outer tape prevents the book from shifting.  My cardboard cutouts are usually about 3/4" bigger on each side than the books I've packed.  I suppose it's irrelevant, but it's more like a last LAST resort should the postal worker drop the package and somehow damage a corner.  My hope would be that the extra border I've provided somehow blunts the impact and prevents the corner of the actual books from getting damaged.  Like I said, if a box is so damaged that I've resorted to praying that my cardboard corner is actually going to prevent damage, I'm guessing something catastrophic happened to the delivery guy.

(For the record, I've only shipped small quantities.  6 books or a slab at a time.  I've never really submitted a large quantity of books for anything.  So it's usually book > cardboard sandwich > bubble wrap > Priority shipping box.  If a book arrives damaged, I sure hope the postal worker was escaping from a vicious dog and had to sacrifice my package to save himself.  :roflmao:)

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm confused how the outer tape prevents the book from shifting.  My cardboard cutouts are usually about 3/4" bigger on each side than the books I've packed.  I suppose it's irrelevant, but it's more like a last LAST resort should the postal worker drop the package and somehow damage a corner.  My hope would be that the extra border I've provided somehow blunts the impact and prevents the corner of the actual books from getting damaged.  Like I said, if a box is so damaged that I've resorted to praying that my cardboard corner is actually going to prevent damage, I'm guessing something catastrophic happened to the delivery guy.

(For the record, I've only shipped small quantities.  6 books or a slab at a time.  I've never really submitted a large quantity of books for anything.  So it's usually book > cardboard sandwich > bubble wrap > Priority shipping box.  If a book arrives damaged, I sure hope the postal worker was escaping from a vicious dog and had to sacrifice my package to save himself.  :roflmao:)

The real problem with this is that it is a PAIN for the customer to remove the book without bending it to varying degrees! 

Your cardboard cutouts are much more generous than mine, so I can understand why you'd need to secure the book from shifting. 

My cardboard is barely larger than the comic itself, so if the book moves at all, it ends up hitting the tape and that's what prevents it from shifting. 

A little bit of give isn't a bad thing, by the way. If you pack things down TOO tightly, then any damage to any part of the package will transmit to the books. 

I hope that makes sense? Closing down shop, and I have to pick up the baby...I will return later. 

16 minutes ago, newshane said:

The real problem with this is that it is a PAIN for the customer to remove the book without bending it to varying degrees! 

Your cardboard cutouts are much more generous than mine, so I can understand why you'd need to secure the book from shifting. 

My cardboard is barely larger than the comic itself, so if the book moves at all, it ends up hitting the tape and that's what prevents it from shifting. 

A little bit of give isn't a bad thing, by the way. If you pack things down TOO tightly, then any damage to any part of the package will transmit to the books. 

I hope that makes sense? Closing down shop, and I have to pick up the baby...I will return later. 

I had to put together a visual representation of what my packaging looks like.  (Paint skills ftw.  :insane:)  The blue tape comes off easily (the triangle represents where i've folded it over itself so it's easy for buyers to peel back the tape).  I suppose the only concern I have with my own packaging is the tape along the spine.  I've recently begun using "Thick" bags which can comfortably fit boards on both the front and back of the book (so the book is sandwiched within the polypropylene bag by boards to start).  That and some liberal application of the tape hopefully doesn't cause any damage to the spine.

image.thumb.png.dcc7c63ec9c6a16afbddf25c367b4835.png

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:09 PM, shadroch said:

I'd been getting mine from Amazon, five rolls at a time but the brand I used no longer sells through Amazon and the stuff they recommended  for a replacement is sad and pathetic.  I like clear tape, so there is that. 

Scotch 3750 commercial grade.

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I had to put together a visual representation of what my packaging looks like.  (Paint skills ftw.  :insane:)  The blue tape comes off easily (the triangle represents where i've folded it over itself so it's easy for buyers to peel back the tape).  I suppose the only concern I have with my own packaging is the tape along the spine.  I've recently begun using "Thick" bags which can comfortably fit boards on both the front and back of the book (so the book is sandwiched within the polypropylene bag by boards to start).  That and some liberal application of the tape hopefully doesn't cause any damage to the spine.

image.thumb.png.dcc7c63ec9c6a16afbddf25c367b4835.png

Okay, that's not as bad as what I thought...

I thought you folded a piece of tape, stuck it on the back center of the bagged and boarded comic, and attached it to the cardboard itself. 

when sending a single comic, I use this method:

1- comic is bagged and boarded.

2 - cut two pieces of stiff cardboard that are about 1/2 inch larger edge around entire book. I try to have the two pieces have opposite running corrugated interiors to maximize stiffness factor.

3 - place the bagged/boarded comic face down on one piece of the cardboard so that the backing board is what makes contact to the painters tape

4 - using TWO 5" pieces of 2" wide blue painters tape with ends folded over one 1/2 inch, I apply the tape to the bag and cardboard at two opposing corners, snug enough that the book will not slide around but not strangle to book itself.

5 - take the second piece of cardboard and make the sandwich-- applying regular shipping tape pieces in the middle of the four sides with one end folded over (all on the same side) - I further place an "X" on the folded over tabs for visual clarity

6 - on the folding up packing slip which is tucked slightly under on of those X tabs - make a note saying "for best results, remove the outer tape using the "X" tabs first"

The rest is self explanatory with the blue tape. Depending on the value of the book being sent-- it either gets sent in a properly sized bubble mailer or boxed. Never had anyone complain about my packaging or report any damage.

I do always make sure to use tape on the outer package as well-- all paper edges. I also tape a pre-printed small paper label on each side of the outside package that reads "Please Do Not Bend". Please is a magic word imo.

PS- if boxing the book(s) - I also use a healthy wrap of bubble wrap around the sandwich.

Edited by 01TheDude

I neatly wrap the bagged & boarded book in newspaper first (much like wrapping a present, to include tape), that way there's no need to fold tape or worry about tape damage. When pulling the tape, it will simply rip the newspaper off without stressing the contents in the slightest (worst case). Painters tape always...