• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anyone recommend a decent shipping tape?

44 posts in this topic

I'd been getting mine from Amazon, five rolls at a time but the brand I used no longer sells through Amazon and the stuff they recommended  for a replacement is sad and pathetic.  I like clear tape, so there is that. 

I bought a case from uline about 17 years ago. I am about half way through. Works well if you keep it on the dispenser. Is a nightmare if you lose the "end" of the tape and are trying to find it.

I use the clear "Duck" brand with the little duck on it.  I don't use the heavy duty variety, but any of the lighter, cheaper stuff.  It is available on Amazon, and I haven't had any problems with it.  I think you can get it at Staples too.

The stuff I use is sticky. You might want to look into that.

A marvel of technology. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

7 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

The stuff I use is sticky. You might want to look into that. Hell of an advance in technology. 

The non-stick tape is too expensive for me.

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

I use the clear "Duck" brand with the little duck on it.  I don't use the heavy duty variety, but any of the lighter, cheaper stuff.  It is available on Amazon, and I haven't had any problems with it.  I think you can get it at Staples too.

That is the WORST. 

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

I'd been getting mine from Amazon, five rolls at a time but the brand I used no longer sells through Amazon and the stuff they recommended  for a replacement is sad and pathetic.  I like clear tape, so there is that. 

Scotch shipping tape! 

I also use their "reinforced" shipping tape for heavy duty stuff like box seams. Super strong. 

If you're looking for good cheap stuff, I have no idea. 

25 minutes ago, newshane said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

That is the WORST. 

Whatever :eyeroll:  -  I like it - it works great.

25 minutes ago, faster friends said:

I buy mine at the post office. It’s great and super quiet.

Silent tape is definitely one quality to consider.

Some guy bought a "murder bucket" for a gift during our department's "Dirty Santa" gift exchange. It was a mop bucket with a shovel, duct tape, latex gloves, bleach, etc. Certainly raised some eyebrows, but it definitely got a hardy laugh from me. 

3 minutes ago, newshane said:

Some guy bought a "murder bucket" for a gift during our department's "Dirty Santa" gift exchange. It was a mop bucket with a shovel, duct tape, latex gloves, bleach, etc. Certainly raised some eyebrows, but it definitely got a hardy laugh from me. 

They call that something different in this neck of the woods. 

5 hours ago, the blob said:

I bought a case from uline about 17 years ago. I am about half way through. Works well if you keep it on the dispenser. Is a nightmare if you lose the "end" of the tape and are trying to find it.

I used to have that problem until I started folding over the edge of the tape when I was done using it. Not fool proof but certainly limits the times you need to get that edge back.

I have bought several boxes of shipping tape via ebay - which I think was free shipping-- and it might not be the most amazing stuff but it is light and cheap enough to go to town on any package.

Search for this:

24 Rolls Clear Packing Tape 2" 2.0 mil 110 yd 330'  --- the inner liner of the tape says "Sure-Max Tape"

cost me a little over $30 the last time ($1.25 per roll). I've bought that deal twice. Most of the tape from my first box was used to tape boxes for a move. The second box I bought in 2015 is about half full, though I admittedly have slowed way down on the my ebay/etc shipping activities the past few years.

I would also suggest you treat the box the same way you would a comic book-- to keep it usable as long as possible. Heat can ruin this stuff pretty fast-- garage storage not advised.

Edited by 01TheDude

I shouldn't be surprised that a forum of detailed collectors who perform studies on various comic storage materials, is as hardcore about their packaging tape...yet I am.

I just use whatever clear tape they sell at the post office or at Office Depot/Staples.  It's heavy duty and holds my packages together.  Heck, I even use it to tape some corners as added protection.

15 hours ago, the blob said:

Well, it looks like I may use up that case this year. Have made about 50 shipments in the last month and used up a roll. I used to do a lot of packing using office tape at work after 5 pm, but my new office has glass walls and no privacy, so that is over. I am paranoid even examining my lunchtime dollar box hauls in the event a supervisor sees me.

17 hours ago, shadroch said:

I started using the ebay branded tape, I've used it on over a thousand packages and zero problems yet. On a huge plus side it can also be free if you have an ebay store, it's why I tried it. Just use the quarterly coupon you get as a store for shipping supplies on tape. They switched to odd colors a while back but it's a nice tape and free. So I love it.

Before that I used Uline for years, that's some awesome tape.