• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Amazing Fantasy 15
1 1

40 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2019 at 10:20 PM, Jordysnordy said:

I think pressing and cleaning would scare me. The chipping on the brown next to the 15 Aug box looks like it could very easily fall off if played with in anyway.

personally I would not press that book either. that right edge looks like it would not take much to lose more paper.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:25 PM, gadzukes said:

I understand what you're saying.  It's worth getting an opinion from an experience presser. (maybe joey can chime in).  At the very least that back cover should be drycleaned.

I agree it needs a dry clean. What do you see that a press would improve the grade from 4.5 to maybe 6.0 ? I would send it to CCS for an evaluation. Let them decide if the book can 1) handle the press 2) would improve with a press. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree it needs a dry clean. What do you see that a press would improve the grade from 4.5 to maybe 6.0 ? I would send it to CCS for an evaluation. Let them decide if the book can 1) handle the press 2) would improve with a press. 

I am in total agreement about sending to CCS for evaluation.  Don't just send it in for grading when there is a good chance for grade improvement (even a half grade point improvement is HUGE on this book)..

Always hard to tell from photos but, I see 2 or 3 tiny dimples along the front spine that look like they could be removed with a pro pressing, and multiple small dimples along the back spine that, along with a dry cleaning will really improve the spine area.  The rest of the front cover looks really nice to my eye.  

The spine/staple area looks strong to my eye to handle a press, but as a previous poster suggested, there is a long "pre-Marvel chip" that could dislodge with a press so that would be a concern that CCS or someone like Joeypost should give their expert opinion if a press is advisable.

I'm very excited for the OP and can't wait to hear what the eventual grade of this comic is.

Edited by gadzukes

As tough as CGC is on high grades these days, I don't think they're all that tough on mid grades.  There are some UGLY books coming out in 4.0-5.5 slabs.  

This book is not one of them.  Marvel Chipping be damned; I think the book AS IS is probably a 4.5 at worst, and most likely a 5.0.  As others have mentioned, the color strike on the book is top shelf.  

On 1/31/2019 at 10:03 PM, Eyekndy said:

I too see it at a 4.0, you might want to “fast track” it tho when you do send it in so you’re not waiting for 5-6 months for it!

There’s no fast track for the tier you would have to do with this book. It would be walkthrough which is a set amount of time. It’s same day grading for CGC and 10 days for CCS.

Edited by LDarkseid1