• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Result is in! PGM Planet Comics #33, guess the CGC grade, book coming back on Monday
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I sent this book in a month ago and found out the grade today. Book is scheduled to be delivered on Monday.  (Along with the 12 and 14 many of you were already kind enough to grade). 

So, can you guess the CGC grade on this one?

The book is complete. Cover is detached from single staple. Full length crease on front cover. 1 inch tear bottom front cover.

50B461B8-9D87-45A9-8CF9-847AF148636E.jpeg

17D0E1FE-9C6B-49E9-8924-048597CD89E6.jpeg

Edited by Spyder!

5 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

3.5! Just curious, with a comic in this condition did you still opt for CCS services in the hope of getting even a half-grade bump or just to make it present better?

I did not. I have never had a book pressed, although I’m sure I own some that were pressed by others. 

I will share the results on Monday so stay tuned.

20 hours ago, Spyder! said:

I did not. I have never had a book pressed, although I’m sure I own some that were pressed by others. 

I will share the results on Monday so stay tuned.

CCS takes it forever.  Others are much faster.  MCS always graded either 2.0/2.5 on the book with the detached cover or centerfold.  I intended one point above MCS grading so your book should be 3.0/3.5 at best. Nice book IMHO.

Edited by JollyComics

Ok, the book is back!  I will be honest, this one was a shock to me.  Like many who replied, I had this book at a 3.0.  I'm certainly not complaining.

Does anyone know if CGC is more lenient on books with a detached cover when they were manufactured with a single staple?

planet33c.jpg

Wow, that's great!

14 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Does anyone know if CGC is more lenient on books with a detached cover when they were manufactured with a single staple?

I definitely remember a folk wisdom to that effect. But I always assumed the book had to be otherwise pretty nearly perfect to get into VG range. This book presents really well, but there's enough flaws sprinkled around that I thought 3.0/3.5 for sure. Shows ya what I know!

39 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Wow, that's great!

I definitely remember a folk wisdom to that effect. But I always assumed the book had to be otherwise pretty nearly perfect to get into VG range. This book presents really well, but there's enough flaws sprinkled around that I thought 3.0/3.5 for sure. Shows ya what I know!

I've seen detached cover books get a 4.0 before, and possibly higher (I can't remember for sure), but ones that otherwise looked high grade. That's a nice looking planet, but the big crease is still somewhat visible and along with the edge chipping would keep it in the midgrade range, even with a secure staple.