• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a sketchy Fantastic Four sale?

13 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

The UK edition coming with the inner CGC case, not the outer? lol

Yay? Or nay? lol

537691847_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.2f27a00919d029427ff8fea6b43c8eec.jpg

574121620_s-l1600(5).thumb.jpg.431baedbddd2fcc901cb3f97598d0e5a.jpg

You're OK. Book looks consistent  with the grade, no overt signs of restoration or trimming. No blatant sign that the label may be switched. If you like this book, go for it. IMO, it matches the label and is legit.

I've got a few books like this, but they are PGA graded books (old PGX).  I bought them years ago when PGA was new.
Those plastic cases (from any grading company) eat up room; I could see folks removing the outer slab to save space and reduce weight. 

If I bought  the book in question, I'd treat it just like a book that was cracked out of it's case and sold with the old label included as a reference.

1 hour ago, Unca Ben said:

I've got a few books like this, but they are PGA graded books (old PGX).  I bought them years ago when PGA was new.
Those plastic cases (from any grading company) eat up room; I could see folks removing the outer slab to save space and reduce weight. 

If I bought  the book in question, I'd treat it just like a book that was cracked out of it's case and sold with the old label included as a reference.

Yup.

I've got one like this. A Hulk 102 in 8.5.  Bought it as a "cracked case" copy, then cracked the case all the way to remove it, then chickened out or something, I forget.  Since then have cracked out completely a dozen I've bought, but never took the exacto or razor blade to this one, still sealed in the inner sleeve, since I figured I'd sell this one and conceivably a buyer could prefer the book still in the sleeve (maybe they'd be a bit more confident that book has not degraded since it was graded).

As a buyer, it comes down to trust that the seller isn't a liar who would change the label out - and like JJJ said if the book still looks like it matches the grade.

2 hours ago, kav said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I see those for sale like that periodically, and have bought a few - no problems.

whats the deal with why do people do this

I think it is either a busted outer well, or they take way less space that way.

They don't bother me any, as I completed the deslab process on the ones I have purchased.

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

They don't bother me any, as I completed the deslab process on the ones I have purchased.

I have a daredevil cgc that is almost completely out of the CGC outer case, it is still in the secure inner well, but would CGC consider this for a "reholder" tier? or would it have to be regraded?

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
8 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I have a daredevil cgc that is almost completely out of the CGC outer case, it is still in the secure inner well, but would CGC consider this for a "reholder" tier? or would it have to be regraded?

You'll have to ask someone who actually submits books - I don't.