• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade this Sweethearts #25! -- Updated with pressing result!
1 1

26 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, piper said:

Is no one looking at the crunched corners?

Eh...that's why I didn't say 6.5...top of the spine is definitely "crunched" but nothing a press or a few weeks of encyclopedia treatment couldn't fix right?... 

2 minutes ago, szavisca said:

6.0....improvable if that's your thing.

2 minutes ago, piper said:

Is no one looking at the crunched corners?

I may indeed have to look into pressing, Scott. Love this book so much but it's a bit of a heartbreaker. The seller sandwiched it in soft cardboard and the package took a heavy dent in transit, resulting in the upper crunched corner. It was probably 7.0/7.5 range when I bought it and no corner dent there at all. But hey, seller saved $2 so it's all good.  :facepalm:

54 minutes ago, Point Five said:

I may indeed have to look into pressing, Scott. Love this book so much but it's a bit of a heartbreaker. The seller sandwiched it in soft cardboard and the package took a heavy dent in transit, resulting in the upper crunched corner. It was probably 7.0/7.5 range when I bought it and no corner dent there at all. But hey, seller saved $2 so it's all good.  :facepalm:

@Artboy99 what would you grade this?

I'd say 5.5 just because the graders will be wondering why that corner didn't get pressed! Otherwise in the 7.0 range. Sucks when sellers send comics in a nice big box but then allow it to slide and bang back and forth inside. Have had the exact same thing happen to more than a few comics sent my way...even some bought off these boards. doh!

Water mark or stain showing on the top back cover is what appears to be the thing that limits the grade.  Does it extend all the way through?  And how are the interior covers?  Charlton from that period often show tanning, and that counts more these days than ever before in determining grade.

I'd pay $20 (or more) and get that crunch pressed out for sure.  Most of it should come out, if not all.

Nice looking book, this one doesn't come around in decent shape too often at all.  Real drag about the damage in shipping.

9 hours ago, piper said:

@Artboy99 what would you grade this?

The crunch is pretty severe, but the rest of the book is presenting very well. I also wonder if there is any interior tanning as the back cover image suggests tanning is present. For now I assume there is no tanning and as it sits it is a 5.5-6.0. Question: Is that water damage I see at the top on the back cover? Also for now will assume no.

Making a few assumptions and with a good press the crunch would likely come out and I could see the book getting a CGC 7.0

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

5.5 is that a Baker ?

No, but it sure looks like one doesn’t it? Roy Osrin who signed the cover did a lot of inking for Baker and was a close personal friend of his.

Osrin probably deserves more credit than he gets for his contributions to Bakers work.  After seeing this cover I’m definitely going to put a little bit of time into researching covers he did without Baker involvement.

26 credited Osrin inks, some signed, some not.  He did some great covers, a pretty distinctive hand.  But when he inked his good friend Matt he mostly kept it in check and let the pencils speak. 

What I'd really love to know, but we never will, is who did the brilliant coloring.  Some of the Charltons are really out there.  Colorists - the unsung heroes of early comics.

I'll post some of the Osrin books over in the romance thread for those who are interested.