• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sarah Trimpe shares pic/story of father gifting Hulk 180 OA
2 2

39 posts in this topic

On 2/9/2019 at 6:53 PM, NelsonAI said:

hm Now, if only the cover to the Incredible Hulk 181 would surface ......

I thought its surfacing was already discussed on a Felix Comic Art podcast?  Or am I misremembering that...

9 minutes ago, NelsonAI said:

Not every CGC OA board member listens to every single podcast by Felix.  I'm sure not every podcast listener reads every CGC OA thread.

:whatthe:

Well, clearly, they're missing out! (:

Edited by delekkerste

On 2/11/2019 at 10:54 AM, delekkerste said:

I thought its surfacing was already discussed on a Felix Comic Art podcast?  Or am I misremembering that...

I don't think it's been discussed on the podcast. But I showed a small handful of friends a picture of it at SDCC a few years ago. Including you, so maybe you're thinking of that.

Haven't said anything about it, otherwise, but I guess the cat's out of the bag now!

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

I don't think it's been discussed on the podcast. But I showed a small handful of friends a picture of it at SDCC a few years ago. Including you, so maybe you're thinking of that.

Haven't said anything about it, otherwise, but I guess the cat's out of the bag now!

My recollection, which could be way off, was that Dave Mandel was part of a discussion where Hulk 181 cover came up as destroyed (fire at Len Wein's?) and it was confirmed as "not" destroyed. That's my recollection.

4 hours ago, Nexus said:

I could have sworn that there was a brief back and forth on the podcast where the #181 cover came up and you briefly mentioned/confirmed its existence?  Unfortunately I can't remember which episode it was, but, I do believe it's somewhere in there (unless I imagined it!)

In any case, though, the cover's existence and possible sale has been discussed behind-the-scenes of the hobby since at least spring 2018. So much so that I was probably hearing a rumor a week from different people about the cover back around April/May of last year!

Edited by delekkerste

2 hours ago, vodou said:

My recollection, which could be way off, was that Dave Mandel was part of a discussion where Hulk 181 cover came up as destroyed (fire at Len Wein's?) and it was confirmed as "not" destroyed. That's my recollection.

I don't know if Dave was part of the discussion (as I believe his last podcast appearance pre-dated the surfacing of the #181 cover), but, it could very well have been a mention of the Wein fire that prompted what I recall to be confirmation of the cover's existence on the podcast.  Unless, again, I'm just imagining the whole thing. which is not out of the question (parental sleep deprivation and all)! 

:gossip: 

In a future podcast from Felix, Sarah Duke will confirm that the current owner of the Incredible Hulk # 181 cover is NOT the Estates of: 

Stan Lee, Steve Ditko or Marie Severin.  :whatthe:

Let the speculation continue ..... :slapfight:

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

18 hours ago, vodou said:

15 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I don't know if Dave was part of the discussion (as I believe his last podcast appearance pre-dated the surfacing of the #181 cover), but, it could very well have been a mention of the Wein fire that prompted what I recall to be confirmation of the cover's existence on the podcast.  Unless, again, I'm just imagining the whole thing. which is not out of the question (parental sleep deprivation and all)! 

My recollection was concerning the fire, and it happened when he shared his GSX 1 cover, speaking to the loss of the amount of art (and supposed covers that were lost) in the fire to have been exaggerated. I'm not sure if he used those exact words, but that's what I remember.

Edited by comicwiz

13 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this page was on the wall at HA's beverly hills offices last year when i was there. there was a plaque on it but i cant make out exactly what it said. it was very special to see it in person!

I'm pretty sure that's the reproduction they had made to show at conventions leading up to the auction. 

One of my regrets was Herb was due to appear at a Belfast comic con a few years ago and had to pull out at the last minute, I had even bought his Hulk artist edition and was hoping for a sketch. Although this thread helps ease the pain as it's nice hearing about his personality and kindness.:foryou: