• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comic would you buy right now to sell in 2-3 years.
1 1

114 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a comic investor and wanted to get some opinions on what comics to buy right now which you feel would increase substantially over the next few years.

Personally, I think FF #48 and Tomb of Dracula #10 will skyrocket.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Franzese10

16 hours ago, Franzese10 said:

Hello,

I am a comic investor and wanted to get some opinions on what comics to buy right now which you feel would increase substantially over the next few years.

What do you guys think?

Amazing Spider-Man #365.  With the success of Into the Spider-Verse I would find it hard to believe they would make a sequel and not include Spider-Man 2099.  Just don't expect any dramatic increase that you can retire off of.  All I'm saying is I expect the book to be worth more than $5 in 2 years.  :P  It's entirely possible it might be worth a whopping $6.  :roflmao:

Edited by ExNihilo

1) Early high grade New Warriors (if you can even find them). 

2) Alf #1-47, #49-50. There's a TV show coming. 

3) Mid grade 60's-80's Disney books. The market hasn't caught up to these yet. Now is the time to buy. 

4) Wizard magazine (any issues, but they have to be bagged with all inserts present) Look especially for when the magazine went to a larger format. Those are lower print, and very tough to find in 7.0 NM, and impossible to find with OWW or better pages. 

5) CGC 9.5's

Plunk 5k on the above listed and see your money triple in 2-3 years. Being a comic investor is super easy if you know what you're doing. 

26 minutes ago, newshane said:

Brigade 4 is going to be a monster and so is Tribe 1. 

I don't have a Brigade, but I have a Tribe 1 in PGX 4.0 for $3200 if you're interested. I'll even take time payments! Hit me up. 

I need to add that the Tribe has a detached cover. I just noticed. I'm shocked that the guy at PGX missed it. 

17 hours ago, Franzese10 said:

Hello,

What do you guys think?

I think that no one putting any real 'money into the game' will tell you squat, because that might work against their interest (add competitors).

From a prior life in the investment adviser world, I'd say the odds favor avoiding books that have already had great spikes in price particularly recently, but of course that is not investment advice.  And of course there are momentum stocks that can go on and on for a while, like our grails.

In just the past two or three years alone there have been some monumental jumps on a select few - watched Hulk 181 in 5.0 for 1000 just 2 years ago and it's a lot more than twice that now, and 181 has been a key for decades - I don't think it can keep doubling in price.  I get worried when I see books doubling in such short periods - but then Hulk 181 could just be one of the few exceptions and not cruising for a correction.  Gun to my head prediction: FF 48 (some upside potential but could flatten, haven't been following Surfer announcements) and TOD 10 (more room if events generate demand). 

Your question is really one of movie speculation that drives most of the big 'winners' in recent years.  So you should spend a lot time in the 'Movies' forum or Marvel or DC-related websites and read the tea leaves of future 'hits' or character breakouts.

I throw one out there.  If i had to pick one book to hold for 2 or 3 years it would be Giant Sized X-men 1.  Classic cover - bunch of 1st appearances of characters who may get reinvented by the wizards over at Marvel movies.  Not a cheap book and has gone up but I'd expect a nice jump in a 8.0 copy over the next 2 to 3 years.

19 hours ago, Franzese10 said:

Hello,

What do you guys think?

You're the investor. You should be telling us. 

I'd hedge my investment by buying three or four books instead of one. While I understand the urge to have one big book, never ever put all your eggs in one basket.  Its easier to sell four $1,000 books than one $4,000 book. At least it used to be.

20 hours ago, Franzese10 said:

Hello,

What do you guys think?

What happened to your ASM 361s?