• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comic would you buy right now to sell in 2-3 years.
1 1

114 posts in this topic

On 1/25/2019 at 1:49 PM, grebal said:

I think that no one putting any real 'money into the game' will tell you squat, because that might work against their interest (add competitors).

From a prior life in the investment adviser world, I'd say the odds favor avoiding books that have already had great spikes in price particularly recently, but of course that is not investment advice.  And of course there are momentum stocks that can go on and on for a while, like our grails.

In just the past two or three years alone there have been some monumental jumps on a select few - watched Hulk 181 in 5.0 for 1000 just 2 years ago and it's a lot more than twice that now, and 181 has been a key for decades - I don't think it can keep doubling in price.  I get worried when I see books doubling in such short periods - but then Hulk 181 could just be one of the few exceptions and not cruising for a correction.  Gun to my head prediction: FF 48 (some upside potential but could flatten, haven't been following Surfer announcements) and TOD 10 (more room if events generate demand). 

Your question is really one of movie speculation that drives most of the big 'winners' in recent years.  So you should spend a lot time in the 'Movies' forum or Marvel or DC-related websites and read the tea leaves of future 'hits' or character breakouts.

Hey Grebal. Thanks for the comment. I also work in the finance industry and I understand what you are saying. Comics are very similar to stocks. I stay clear of anything that is hyped. I try to buy books before that. Case in point, purchased Ms. Marvel's 1st appearance and #1 1.5 years ago for peanuts. I will be selling both in the next couple of months. That's the way I buy books.

I agree with Hulk 181. It moved too much, too fast. However, when Wolverine shows up in a marvel movie that book might be out of reach even in low grades. It's come down the past 2 months and might be a buying opportunity. I try to buy books that nobody cares about. I do follow the marvel movies but also try to be smart about these things. For instance, about 2 years ago I started buying up 1st appearances of female superheroes. Ms Marvel, Spiderwoman, poison ivy, She-hulk etc. I figured that they will bring in females characters into movies and tv shows and that is happening now. I would definitely buy Spider-woman's 1st appearance. They will bring her in.

They will do a surfer movie for sure. No doubt about it. I've heard rumours that Mephisto will be the villain in his 1st movie. I still think FF48 is a buy right now. 

Anyway, thanks for the comment.

5 minutes ago, Franzese10 said:

Case in point, purchased Ms. Marvel's 1st appearance and #1 1.5 years ago for peanuts. I will be selling both in the next couple of months.

For instance, about 2 years ago I started buying up 1st appearances of female superheroes. Ms Marvel, Spiderwoman, poison ivy, She-hulk etc. I figured that they will bring in females characters into movies and tv shows and that is happening now. I would definitely buy Spider-woman's 1st appearance. They will bring her in.

Excellent calls both getting into and when to probably get out of the hot Ms.  And just about demand generally, imo.  Best risk-reward tradeoff.

No sense in trying to time to perfection, just play the logical odds (like with your exit strategy on Ms Marvel).  Nice.  Sometimes it turns out in hindsight that peak was actually a month earlier yada yada … forget that stuff.  Good luck amigo.

25 minutes ago, grebal said:

Excellent calls both getting into and when to probably get out of the hot Ms.  And just about demand generally, imo.  Best risk-reward tradeoff.

No sense in trying to time to perfection, just play the logical odds (like with your exit strategy on Ms Marvel).  Nice.  Sometimes it turns out in hindsight that peak was actually a month earlier yada yada … forget that stuff.  Good luck amigo.

Thanks. Yeah its very hard to call the top in asset prices. Got to be happy with the return you made.

Cheers

6 hours ago, Franzese10 said:

Also, get Ghost Rider's 1st appearance. They will do a GR movie.

6 hours ago, Franzese10 said:

Case in point, purchased Ms. Marvel's 1st appearance and #1 1.5 years ago for peanuts

Wait. Are you a time traveler from ~15 years in the past?

On 1/25/2019 at 12:43 PM, paul747 said:

FF annual 6

this

so glad I stocked up on em when they were $10.  I told everyone to but they laffed at me.  Now, I have the last laff.

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, kav said:

this

so glad I stocked up on em when they were $10.  I told everyone to but they laffed at me.  Now, I have the last laff.

That’s because you’re like me; you actually read comics.

First appearance of the main villain from the Annihilation Saga, one of the key storylines used by Marvel Studios.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/24/2019 at 7:57 PM, Franzese10 said:

Hello,

I am a comic investor and wanted to get some opinions on what comics to buy right now which you feel would increase substantially over the next few years.

Personally, I think FF #48 and Tomb of Dracula #10 will skyrocket.

What do you guys think?

We are all investors here to the extent we don't plan on burning our comics or getting buried with them. To answer your question.. Thor 339.

Edited by the blob

Thoughts or opinions on Silver Surfer #44?   It's the first appearance of the infinity gauntlet and one i've been picking up for quite awhile now.   Has it already made its run up in value or more room to grow?  I'm in the still has room to grow opinion but curious what everyone else thinks of it?

12 hours ago, Franzese10 said:

I think any silver surfer keys will skyrocket in the coming years. I've heard rumours that they will bring Mephisto into a SS movie. I would buy that comic now. Also, get Ghost Rider's 1st appearance. They will do a GR movie. 

What are you looking for right now?

2 to 3 years is pretty long term in today’s market so I don’t think I’ve got anything I’m planning on holding that long.  With that time frame I tend to buy stocks I want to hold long term.  I’m loving the pot stocks and Netflix stock I bought last year.  My one hold book use to be FF Annual 6 but that ship has sailed and I’m not smart enough to come up with another long term hold book.

52 minutes ago, Beardown said:

Thoughts or opinions on Silver Surfer #44?   It's the first appearance of the infinity gauntlet and one i've been picking up for quite awhile now.   Has it already made its run up in value or more room to grow?  I'm in the still has room to grow opinion but curious what everyone else thinks of it?

Are they still selling?  If yes then sell, sell sell.  Huge drop in price can only happen with that book.  Copper supply meets weakening demand once the stones are destroyed or scattered in next Avengers movie. I like the cover but if you an still get $75 for a raw copy you better be selling.

FF52 and Tec359 get my seal of approval. Both touch important criteria I look for such as it’s a good guy vs bad guy. I like good guys because they are always relevant. Who appears in all of the ASM books? Spidey. Green Goblin not that many. Next criteria I like and almost insist is that the first appearance character be on the cover, not on a panel somewhere in the book. NM98 is great as is BA12 if you dare to leave the comfort zone of the SA. The SA makes it a safer book. The first Groot is a tough book that driven by its on low population. Sure the movie has everyone looking for a copy, but that’s not going well.

28 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

FF52 and Tec359 get my seal of approval. Both touch important criteria I look for such as it’s a good guy vs bad guy. I like good guys because they are always relevant. Who appears in all of the ASM books? Spidey. Green Goblin not that many. Next criteria I like and almost insist is that the first appearance character be on the cover, not on a panel somewhere in the book. NM98 is great as is BA12 if you dare to leave the comfort zone of the SA. The SA makes it a safer book. The first Groot is a tough book that driven by its on low population. Sure the movie has everyone looking for a copy, but that’s not going well.

Love the FF52 and agree with the front cover being a huge factor in the desirability and long term carry of a book.   Couple examples of very important books with terrible covers IMO would be FF48 and Strange Tales 110.  Im sure there are lots of others but those two stick out in my mind first.

10 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

Hey Junkdrawer. Thanks for the comment. You make some interesting points. So would not not buy ASM #50 since Kingpin doesn't appear on the cover?

Just now, Franzese10 said:

Hey Junkdrawer. Thanks for the comment. You make some interesting points. So would not not buy ASM #50 since Kingpin doesn't appear on the cover?

The book breaks a big rule in my rule book, but I wouldn’t throw a chic outta bed cause she was a 2. That means 1st Kingpin is a keeper

14 hours ago, 1Cool said:

2 to 3 years is pretty long term in today’s market so I don’t think I’ve got anything I’m planning on holding that long.  With that time frame I tend to buy stocks I want to hold long term.  I’m loving the pot stocks and Netflix stock I bought last year.  My one hold book use to be FF Annual 6 but that ship has sailed and I’m not smart enough to come up with another long term hold book.

Reason I say 2-3 years with silver surfer is because it will take that long for marvel to get the movie green lit and made. I would be careful with the pot stocks. To me, it seems they are a bubble. None of them make any profits and don't plan to anytime soon. I would be careful with them. Lots of retail investors are all in on them. That's a clear sign of dumb money. Be careful.

8 hours ago, Beardown said:

Love the FF52 and agree with the front cover being a huge factor in the desirability and long term carry of a book.   Couple examples of very important books with terrible covers IMO would be FF48 and Strange Tales 110.  Im sure there are lots of others but those two stick out in my mind first.

Imagine if FF48 had FF49's cover! It could and should have. Wonder if it would have increased FF48's value even more.

10 hours ago, Franzese10 said:

Reason I say 2-3 years with silver surfer is because it will take that long for marvel to get the movie green lit and made. I would be careful with the comic books. To me, it seems they are a bubble. None of them make any profits and don't plan to anytime soon. I would be careful with them. Lots of retail investors are all in on them. That's a clear sign of dumb money. Be careful.

9 hours ago, jcjames said:

Imagine if FF48 had FF49's cover! It could and should have. Wonder if it would have increased FF48's value even more.

I quite like 48's cover.

Not disclosing the threat straight away, tension and uncertainty in the figures amplifying that fear. 

Well executed, good detail from Kirby.

A nice, atypical contrast to the next issue's. 

Edited by Ken Aldred