• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comic would you buy right now to sell in 2-3 years.
1 1

114 posts in this topic

Rom #1. No one listens to me, not even myself cause I don't have one. It just such junk on a quality level I can't bring myself to buy it. I bought a major key about two years ago and wonder if I could sell it today for what I paid for it. I am not sure I could. I guess I would have to sell it to see what it would sell for today. There hasn't been one of a higher grade sell since I bought mine, so who's to know. It's funny. Makes me laugh but I'm keeping it for the next 15-20 years and than sell so we'll see. Maybe I'll make a buck or, as others have said, use it for fuel. Just have to get it out of the CGC plastic.

My wife is starting to talk about getting a piece of Ditko Spiderman OA. My wife works with his niece. She's just gone to her and said she wants to buy one. "Let me talk to my dad. The phone has been ringing since my Uncle Steve died and my dad just lets it ring." It appears SD didn't discuss with his family what he wanted done when he dies and I'm told it's a real mess. I insisted we pay market price cause it would be disrespectful otherwise. (My wife has same kinda morals, so...) I tell her what it's gonna cost and she doesn't seem to care. Hell, the major key was her idea. I was ok with a low grade copy but she said get a higher grade one. Who am I to say no?

It's an odd situation over here for sure. 

Edited by NoMan

13 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I think it would be very difficult finding that treasury in a 9.8 -- and hard to prove it was especially since no one reliable will professionally grade it (CGC) at this time. Even with the best of care-- just finding one in that great of condition when they came out was practically impossible imo.

Very tough book indeed. I've been searching for a NM copy for years and came across a few but they are always overpriced. Never came across a nice copy in the wild. This book is so underpriced for its significance in my opinion. This was a grail for me as a kid before I even considered comic book collecting, my mom just wouldn't justify spending that much money on a comic lol 

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

Rom #1. No one listens to me, not even myself cause I don't have one. It just such junk on a quality level I can't bring myself to buy it. I bought a major key about two years ago and wonder if I could sell it today for what I paid for it. I am not sure I could. I guess I would have to sell it to see what it would sell for today. There hasn't been one of a higher grade sell since I bought mine, so who's to know. It's funny. Makes me laugh but I'm keeping it for the next 15-20 years and than sell so we'll see. Maybe I'll make a buck or, as others have said, use it for fuel. Just have to get it out of the CGC plastic.

My wife is starting to talk about getting a piece of Ditko Spiderman OA. My wife works with his niece. She's just gone to her and said she wants to buy one. "Let me talk to my dad. The phone has been ringing since my Uncle Steve died and my dad just lets it ring." It appears SD didn't discuss with his family what he wanted done when he dies and I'm told it's a real mess. I insisted we pay market price cause it would be disrespectful otherwise. (My wife has same kinda morals, so...) I tell her what it's gonna cost and she doesn't seem to care. Hell, the major key was her idea. I was ok with a low grade copy but she said get a higher grade one. Who am I to say no?

It's an odd situation over here for sure. 

I hope you get to own a piece, but with it I hope this doesn't influence her to liquidate all his art (assuming she holds many pieces) and create a flood in the market 

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Come on Kav - I've been hording for at least 3 or 4 years and they never were $10 in 8.0.  $10 in 2.0 maybe but I was having to pay $50 - $60 in that grade.

Maybe my grading is a little off but my copies are definitely nice.  Hell even 3.5's are sellin for around $100 now and those were def in the $5 range 2 years ago!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-Annual-6-Marvel-1st-App-Appearance-Franklin-Richards-Annihilus-/233137282120?hash=item3648109c48%3Ag%3AWn0AAOSwVv9cah~k&nma=true&si=ltJFxbhLLjL%2Bdbis9mZ0vojkE4w%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

20 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I hope you get to own a piece, but with it I hope this doesn't influence her to liquidate all his art (assuming she holds many pieces) and create a flood in the market 

It's hard to believe, but niece (and perhaps entire family although I'm not sure) was unaware of the last Heritage auctions (or whatever the very recent HA was with a lot of Ditko OA in it) until I gave my wife the Heritage catalog to show her. In fact she was unaware of HA at all. 

I have no idea what family is gonna do with art although niece said SD mailed lots and lots of his OA to her dad, steve's brother just prior to his death. 

It would seem with that last OA Heritage auction the market is already in the process of being flooded with Ditko OA. There was a ton of Ditko OA in it if I remember correctly. Or I could be wrong. After 50 years on earth, I find that I've been wrong about 65% of the time. 

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Very tough book indeed. I've been searching for a NM copy for years and came across a few but they are always overpriced. Never came across a nice copy in the wild. This book is so under priced for its significance in my opinion. This was a grail for me as a kid before I even considered comic book collecting, my mom just wouldn't justify spending that much money on a comic lol 

I was around 11 or 12 when that came out. Did you start collecting earlier than that age where relying on your folks was sort of the only option? I never bothered asking my folks for any money when it came to comic books. I worked three paper routes to fuel my collecting bug (from around 10 years old to 13-- 1975 to 1978). I spent some of that on beer cans too. We rarely got any sort of allowance -- and if we did, there was a chore list with amounts attached.

I bought mine from the store, no questions asked. Not sure if I really hunted for the best available copy so much-- I never thought the treasuries would be all that valuable in the long run since it seems like you could buy them from Marvel whenever through their mail order. I did that a couple of times but most of mine were found at our neighborhood Osco Drug store that was attached to the Jewel. I think the last one I bought was #15 Conan. Kept most of them but did sell the first two star wars ones and the Ali-Superman books for some pretty decent money on ebay. I don't miss them that much and I got them for cover price so-- no biggie. Entertainment value achieved with some bonus for hanging on to them.

Edited by 01TheDude

51 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Or I could be wrong. After 50 years on earth, I find that I've been wrong about 65% of the time. 

Not a bad % provided the other 35% was about the stuff that really mattered.

Who cares if the tv show started at 8 pm and not 830 pm or if Kirby not Ditko drew the cover of St Tales Ann 2 or ASM 1?

50 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I was around 11 or 12 when that came out. Did you start collecting earlier than that age where relying on your folks was sort of the only option? I never bothered asking my folks for any money when it came to comic books. I worked three paper routes to fuel my collecting bug (from around 10 years old to 13-- 1975 to 1978). I spent some of that on beer cans too. We rarely got any sort of allowance -- and if we did, there was a chore list with amounts attached.

I bought mine from the store, no questions asked. Not sure if I really hunted for the best available copy so much-- I never thought the treasuries would be all that valuable in the long run since it seems like you could buy them from Marvel whenever through their mail order. I did that a couple of times but most of mine were found at our neighborhood Osco Drug store that was attached to the Jewel. I think the last one I bought was #15 Conan. Kept most of them but did sell the first two star wars ones and the Ali-Superman books for some pretty decent money on ebay. I don't miss them that much and I got them for cover price so-- no biggie. Entertainment value achieved with some bonus for hanging on to them.

Yup you have a few years on me, I was 4-5 when that book came out and remember it like it was yesterday. Gazing at that cover from within the ads in the comics... of course I was too young to even assess value to books but all I knew is that mom wasn't buying it lol

7 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Come on Kav - I've been hording for at least 3 or 4 years and they never were $10 in 8.0.  $10 in 2.0 maybe but I was having to pay $50 - $60 in that grade.

Ok you are right-I misremembered.  I went thru my collection and my books are in the 4.5-5.0 range.  

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Yup you have a few years on me, I was 4-5 when that book came out and remember it like it was yesterday. Gazing at that cover from within the ads in the comics... of course I was too young to even assess value to books but all I knew is that mom wasn't buying it lol

maybe that was for the best-- not at the time (satisfying the little kid who wanted something badly), but for you getting an excellent copy later on.

Only saying that your young self would probably not (making a few assumptions here) have kept this book in pristine condition. I mean short of having early onset OCD or something. Protecting books at that age collector (young you) or even a little older (11 year old me) was extremely rare in the mid 1970s. I am basing some of this off the condition my book ending up being-- which is decent but nothing incredible (maybe a 5.0). But overall-- I would say it was 2 bucks well spent.

6 hours ago, kav said:

I 100% agree prices have skyrocketed and mid grades are going for $250 now but I do see some price resistance and slow down of sales.  I’m sure demand will go back up again in the future.  I always thought $20 for a VG copy just seemed way too cheap.

Just now, 1Cool said:

I 100% agree prices have skyrocketed and mid grades are going for $250 now but I do see some price resistance and slow down of sales.  I’m sure demand will go back up again in the future.  I always thought $20 for a VG copy just seemed way too cheap.

I just wish I had bought more of em and splurged for higher grades.