• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comic would you buy right now to sell in 2-3 years.
1 1

114 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Franzese10 said:

Reason I say 2-3 years with silver surfer is because it will take that long for marvel to get the movie green lit and made. I would be careful with the pot stocks. To me, it seems they are a bubble. None of them make any profits and don't plan to anytime soon. I would be careful with them. Lots of retail investors are all in on them. That's a clear sign of dumb money. Be careful.

As with anything you have to not put all eggs in one basket but I see pot stocks as a safe bet.  The pot and CB oil health benefits I'm seeing for people who are taking it in my family is enough to make me think these pot companies will do just fine long term.  There will be some consolidation of companies and a few will rise up like Budweiser and Miller beer companies.  I agree people shouldn't go crazy but I think putting a portion of your portfolio into these stocks is a good bet.

Edited by 1Cool

9 hours ago, kav said:

I would buy woodgod and sell in 2-3 after the movie

My biggest disappointment was with Giant-Size Man-Thing 5.

A mention of Hellcow in Agents of Shield, teasing a possible TV or film appearance, and then nothing.

An appalling oversight, not to use one of the Bronze Age's greatest characters.

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

I quite like 48's cover.

Not disclosing the threat straight away, tension and uncertainty in the figures amplifying that fear. 

Well executed, good detail from Kirby.

A nice, atypical contrast to the next issue's. 

Seen as a trilogy of covers and stories, they do build well. 

But still, one of the classic non-cover key 1st appearances. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:48 AM, 1Cool said:

As with anything you have to not put all eggs in one basket but I see pot stocks as a safe bet.  The pot and CB oil health benefits I'm seeing for people who are taking it in my family is enough to make me think these pot companies will do just fine long term.  There will be some consolidation of companies and a few will rise up like Budweiser and Miller beer companies.  I agree people shouldn't go crazy but I think putting a portion of your portfolio into these stocks is a good bet.

The problem as I see it os ease of access. It is really easy to grow pot. Now, if they have some patented something or other, fine, but if I want to start growing a few hundred pounds of weed a year on my property (a house on a 40x100 lot) it probably would not be that hard. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:41 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I quite like 48's cover.

Not disclosing the threat straight away, tension and uncertainty in the figures amplifying that fear. 

Image result for fantastic four 48

Totally agree.  I can only imagine what teens very early in 1966, going into their local newsstand or pharmacy, would have been thinking when this saw this on the shelf or spinner rack ... I think this is one of Kirby's finest covers ever.

13 hours ago, the blob said:

The problem as I see it os ease of access. It is really easy to grow pot. Now, if they have some patented something or other, fine, but if I want to start growing a few hundred pounds of weed a year on my property (a house on a 40x100 lot) it probably would not be that hard. 

i agree but I don't think the laws allow you to grow that much and sell it to others.  You can brew your own beer but most people feel it's too much work and would rather just buy the beer at the store.  If prices are kept manageable then I see pot companies being very similar to beer companies and many will do very well.

17 hours ago, zosocane said:

Image result for fantastic four 48

Totally agree.  I can only imagine what teens very early in 1966, going into their local newsstand or pharmacy, would have been thinking when this saw this on the shelf or spinner rack ... I think this is one of Kirby's finest covers ever.

I hadn't notice before, but now I see where the inspiration for Sloth from the cinematic masterpiece Gonnies came from.
But those loafers.....those loafers.....

index.jpg

7 hours ago, 1Cool said:

i agree but I don't think the laws allow you to grow that much and sell it to others.  You can brew your own beer but most people feel it's too much work and would rather just buy the beer at the store.  If prices are kept manageable then I see pot companies being very similar to beer companies and many will do very well.

This all assumes legalization. NYC stinks of pot. It is nearly legal (but not to sell, but that is next).

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

This all assumes legalization. NYC stinks of pot. It is nearly legal (but not to sell, but that is next).

We should have full legalization within a handful of years.  Way too much tax dollars being lost and states that do legalize it really don't see much negatives which will invalidate most of the arguments.  If liquor and cigarettes are legal then I really don't see why pot isn't legal by now.

I don't see many surprises in the future as far as Silver and Bronze go. We all know who's who and what's what at this point.

The current comics with value will continue to rise slowly and even the non key issues, especially Silver and early Bronze will do the same.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I hadn't notice before, but now I see where the inspiration for Sloth from the cinematic masterpiece Gonnies came from.
But those loafers.....those loafers.....

index.jpg

I always see a curtain forehead...it can’t just be me?! The dark shadows are the underside of the curtain ripples. Careful, once you see it you can’t unsee it...

On 1/28/2019 at 7:41 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I quite like 48's cover.

Agreed!  The cover is tension filled and foreboding.  You know that something horrible is about to happen.  Pretty brilliant by Kirby.

Edited by mrlatko

On 1/27/2019 at 12:12 PM, Beardown said:

Love the FF52 and agree with the front cover being a huge factor in the desirability and long term carry of a book.   Couple examples of very important books with terrible covers IMO would be FF48 and Strange Tales 110.  Im sure there are lots of others but those two stick out in my mind first.

Haha I have to agree with this as a Dr Strange collector.  I still have no plans to spend $5000 on ST110 when I can get the entire 169-183 volume 1 run for that price.  Who wants to display paste pot pete as the center piece to their collection.  It's also the reason I think FF49 is skyrocketing despite it being a 2nd appearance for both galactus and surfer.  If I was spending thousands on first appearance books it would still have to be on the FF48 though, not FF49.

On 1/27/2019 at 11:37 AM, Junkdrawer said:

FF52 and Tec359 get my seal of approval. Both touch important criteria I look for such as it’s a good guy vs bad guy. I like good guys because they are always relevant. Who appears in all of the ASM books? Spidey. Green Goblin not that many. Next criteria I like and almost insist is that the first appearance character be on the cover, not on a panel somewhere in the book. NM98 is great as is BA12 if you dare to leave the comfort zone of the SA. The SA makes it a safer book. The first Groot is a tough book that driven by its on low population. Sure the movie has everyone looking for a copy, but that’s not going well.

Thing I've noticed about books like NM98 and NM87 is they are always dropping in value just a few months after the movie is out.  NM98 is down as much as 25% since the first Deadpool movie.  Similar thing is happening to Cable's NM87 right now.  
Is this evidence to a pump and dump mentality or will the books regain demand with each successive movie?  Doesn't seem like Deadpool 2 did anything to improve the value of NM98 long term so far. 
I fully expect the same thing to happen to the price on Ms Marvel 1's in the next few months following that movie.  Could she become Marvel's Wonder Woman?  I think it's possible.  Would that stop the price decline?  Probably not. 

55 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Haha I have to agree with this as a Dr Strange collector.  I still have no plans to spend $5000 on ST110 when I can get the entire 169-183 volume 1 run for that price.  Who wants to display paste pot pete as the center piece to their collection.  It's also the reason I think FF49 is skyrocketing despite it being a 2nd appearance for both galactus and surfer.  If I was spending thousands on first appearance books it would still have to be on the FF48 though, not FF49.

Thing I've noticed about books like NM98 and NM87 is they are always dropping in value just a few months after the movie is out.  NM98 is down as much as 25% since the first Deadpool movie.  Similar thing is happening to Cable's NM87 right now.  
Is this evidence to a pump and dump mentality or will the books regain demand with each successive movie?  Doesn't seem like Deadpool 2 did anything to improve the value of NM98 long term so far. 
I fully expect the same thing to happen to the price on Ms Marvel 1's in the next few months following that movie.  Could she become Marvel's Wonder Woman?  I think it's possible.  Would that stop the price decline?  Probably not. 

I like to compare NM98 to WD1, not in a monetary sense or a fan sense, but what’s going to be the must have book years down the road. The safer book despite the census numbers to me is NM98. It’s a book that makes you feel glad to own, I’m talkin a nicely wrapped 9.8 white pager. Doubt it could ever tank, doubt Deadpool will ever become old hat. You can’t go wrong buying one right now. WD1 is a hot potato. Too many scorned fans and long seasons of the same repetitive bs. Pass

14 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Pump and dump has nothing to do with the books you mentioned. It's fan hype, spending money foolishly because they don't know the in's and out's of a long term market. However, I think you too may be misinterpreting the data based on a small window. It's stayed fairly level since the spike on the announcement of the first movie. There was a slight drop in between the two.

1.jpg

13 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

I like to compare NM98 to WD1, not in a monetary sense or a fan sense, but what’s going to be the must have book years down the road. The safer book despite the census numbers to me is NM98. It’s a book that makes you feel glad to own, I’m talkin a nicely wrapped 9.8 white pager. Doubt it could ever tank, doubt Deadpool will ever become old hat. You can’t go wrong buying one right now. WD1 is a hot potato. Too many scorned fans and long seasons of the same repetitive bs. Pass

So you're basing the value of these books solely on the entertainment market? What about the collector market?

25 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

So you're basing the value of these books solely on the entertainment market? What about the collector market?

I’m talking about strictly as a collector. NM98 is hands down the book I want in my portfolio. Sure the tv and movies create the frenzied markets that tend to go up in the times before a movie and then settle back down afterwards. In the case of WD1 there’s been a pattern of downtrend during the summer off season that picks back up as we get closer to the show. I did say down the road and what I referred to is that WD1 has the more unpredictable future. For the money you must lay out, it’s future compared to Deadpool makes me more content with NM98...as a collector of comic books. You have to admit that the collector market is wagged by the media. Nobody wanted Groot until Gardians.

4 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

I’m talking about strictly as a collector. NM98 is hands down the book I want in my portfolio. Sure the tv and movies create the frenzied markets that tend to go up in the times before a movie and then settle back down afterwards. In the case of WD1 there’s been a pattern of downtrend during the summer off season that picks back up as we get closer to the show. I did say down the road and what I referred to is that WD1 has the more unpredictable future. For the money you must lay out, it’s future compared to Deadpool makes me more content with NM98...as a collector of comic books. You have to admit that the collector market is wagged by the media. Nobody wanted Groot until Gardians.

Ahem, nobody but us PHM collectors.

But I do agree that media exposure does help advance the value of a book.

8 minutes ago, bc said:

Ahem, nobody but us PHM collectors.

But I do agree that media exposure does help advance the value of a book.

Not sure why Groot was chosen. They could have chosen Blip or Vandoom or a dozen others. I don’t know the story line of how Groot ties in to the Gaurdians. I always assumed he did not and it was as random as a character was ever picked. Is he connected in some way?

5 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Not sure why Groot was chosen. They could have chosen Blip or Vandoom or a dozen others. I don’t know the story line of how Groot ties in to the Gaurdians. I always assumed he did not and it was as random as a character was ever picked. Is he connected in some way?

Since I don't read modern books, had to look this up:

https://screenrant.com/guardians-galaxy-baby-groot-facts-trivia-history/

"In 2006's Nick Fury's Howling Commandos, Fury recruits several of Marvel's monsters, including Warwolf, Vampire by Night, Gorilla-Man, the Living Mummy, Sasquatch, and Frank (as in stein) to fight against Merlin the magician. (Why this series didn't make it past six issues is beyond us.) Early on, this frightful S.H.I.E.L.D. squadron captures Groot (still as verbose as ever) and convinces him that fighting magicians is far more fun than scaring people, so he reluctantly joins up. As ridiculous as Nicky Fury's paranormal containment unit of B-team monsters was, had it not revived Groot back into comicdom, the character would most likely not have been included in the following year's Annihilation: Conquest and become a part of the Guardians of the Galaxy, which would have deprived us all of ever seeing Baby Groot. Thank you, Howling Commandos; the universe owes you one."

They also allude to a solo film in that same article.