• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comic would you buy right now to sell in 2-3 years.
1 1

114 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, bc said:

Since I don't read modern books, had to look this up:

https://screenrant.com/guardians-galaxy-baby-groot-facts-trivia-history/

"In 2006's Nick Fury's Howling Commandos, Fury recruits several of Marvel's monsters, including Warwolf, Vampire by Night, Gorilla-Man, the Living Mummy, Sasquatch, and Frank (as in stein) to fight against Merlin the magician. (Why this series didn't make it past six issues is beyond us.) Early on, this frightful S.H.I.E.L.D. squadron captures Groot (still as verbose as ever) and convinces him that fighting magicians is far more fun than scaring people, so he reluctantly joins up. As ridiculous as Nicky Fury's paranormal containment unit of B-team monsters was, had it not revived Groot back into comicdom, the character would most likely not have been included in the following year's Annihilation: Conquest and become a part of the Guardians of the Galaxy, which would have deprived us all of ever seeing Baby Groot. Thank you, Howling Commandos; the universe owes you one."

They also allude to a solo film in that same article.

Thanks for the intel. Again I never knew of the tie in and I’m sure I wasn’t alone. I will now say that comics made Groot, comics brought him relevant again in 2006 and the rest is the movie success, so maybe Blip wouldn’t have worked. 

29 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Well everyone can speculate which DC characters James Gunn will use for Suicide Squad 2 lol

All i know is Bronze Tiger better be in there. Can't believe they left him out of the first movie. Bronze Tiger IS Suicide Squad!

1 hour ago, Junkdrawer said:

I’m talking about strictly as a collector. NM98 is hands down the book I want in my portfolio. Sure the tv and movies create the frenzied markets that tend to go up in the times before a movie and then settle back down afterwards. In the case of WD1 there’s been a pattern of downtrend during the summer off season that picks back up as we get closer to the show. I did say down the road and what I referred to is that WD1 has the more unpredictable future. For the money you must lay out, it’s future compared to Deadpool makes me more content with NM98...as a collector of comic books. You have to admit that the collector market is wagged by the media. Nobody wanted Groot until Gardians.

I don't think you can argue that WD can cast a bigger net than Deadpool. Marvel & DC will for the foreseeable future have more fans and thus more buyers. But, WD could fall into that long term independent that is always sought after and thus higher value. Think TMNT. Obviously TMNT is a huge property, so not to that level, but similar trajectory.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Pump and dump has nothing to do with the books you mentioned. It's fan hype, spending money foolishly because they don't know the in's and out's of a long term market. However, I think you too may be misinterpreting the data based on a small window. It's stayed fairly level since the spike on the announcement of the first movie. There was a slight drop in between the two.

1.jpg

I'm guessing that is the 9.8 grade?  I remember looking at the 9.6 grade before the deadpool movie was coming (pre-Feb 2016) and put out a few offers of $375-400 that were turned down by sellers looking for $425-450.  It seemed to drop to $350 or so shortly after movie release and slowly declined from there.  Last night I noticed the 9.6 on comiclink sold for $331.  A pair of 9.8's also went for $716 and $772.  Still raises the question of if it is ever worth buying a book after the movie release, if there is no growth potential left.  Staying fairly steady over the years would be a loss to inflation.

Does GPA let you compare grades by percentage increase?  I wonder which held value better, 9.6 or 9.8, or if they did identical.  My assumption on copper or newer would be that only higher grades would do better.  On a silver age book like FF48 though, would be curious to see which percentage changes were highest per grade.  Maybe midrange is out-performing with more people that can afford those copies.

Edited by 90sChild

3 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

I'm guessing that is the 9.8 grade?  I remember looking at the 9.6 grade before the deadpool movie was coming (pre-Feb 2016) and put out a few offers of $375-400 that were turned down by sellers looking for $425-450.  It seemed to drop to $350 or so shortly after movie release and slowly declined from there.  Last night I noticed the 9.6 on comiclink sold for $331.  A pair of 9.8's also went for $716 and $772.  Still raises the question of if it is ever worth buying a book after the movie release, if there is no growth potential left.  Staying fairly steady over the years would be a loss to inflation.

Yes, 9.8. I mean, we could go down through all the grades if we wanted. 9.6 Looks like it peaked at the first movie announcement and dropped a little and has maintained that. Probably the 15% drop you are talking about.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

I don't think you can argue that WD can cast a bigger net than Deadpool. Marvel & DC will for the foreseeable future have more fans and thus more buyers. But, WD could fall into that long term independent that is always sought after and thus higher value. Think TMNT. Obviously TMNT is a huge property, so not to that level, but similar trajectory.

I try to keep my finger on the pulse on the books that are tied to tv/movie. TMNT1 is a great comparison to WD1, low print run, and I agree it stops there. 

I stated earlier in this thread that I gravitate towards books that exhibit the character on the cover (bonus points for NM98) TMNT 1 can boast all four characters on the cover, and that’s my kinda book. One that has sailed long ago sad to say. Not to pick on WD1 because it’s still relevant, still short printed, and still on TV. Is it strong as ever? Are we chomping at the bit for it? Are we hangin from last season like we have in the past? The show totally lost me. I actually enjoy Riverdale way more. But back to books. Buying a NM98 is safe now, buy with confidence cause it’s rock solid over the “as the thread states” next 2-3 years. Buy a WD1 today and hold for the same time? Your dealing with twice thevinvestment and personally I don’t feel as good about the WD market as I used to. Rick bailed, not sure why but I would guess lack of interest too. Low print numbers keep it priced but the demand will diminish when interest for the series does. 2-3 yrs is way to risky. Buy one then... if you even want one at that time, I’m thinking a shaky future.

3 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

I try to keep my finger on the pulse on the books that are tied to tv/movie. TMNT1 is a great comparison to WD1, low print run, and I agree it stops there. 

I stated earlier in this thread that I gravitate towards books that exhibit the character on the cover (bonus points for NM98) TMNT 1 can boast all four characters on the cover, and that’s my kinda book. One that has sailed long ago sad to say. Not to pick on WD1 because it’s still relevant, still short printed, and still on TV. Is it strong as ever? Are we chomping at the bit for it? Are we hangin from last season like we have in the past? The show totally lost me. I actually enjoy Riverdale way more. But back to books. Buying a NM98 is safe now, buy with confidence cause it’s rock solid over the “as the thread states” next 2-3 years. Buy a WD1 today and hold for the same time? Your dealing with twice thevinvestment and personally I don’t feel as good about the WD market as I used to. Rick bailed, not sure why but I would guess lack of interest too. Low print numbers keep it priced but the demand will diminish when interest for the series does. 2-3 yrs is way to risky. Buy one then... if you even want one at that time, I’m thinking a shaky future.

True, not sure I see either really making a big change in value over the next three years. But, Rick bailed because they are doing 3 feature movies with him now.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

True, not sure I see either really making a big change in value over the next three years. But, Rick bailed because they are doing 3 feature movies with him now.

Originally my pick was FF52 and Tec359 for best books to buy now and sell in 2-3 yrs and I stated why which was primarily they had characters on the covers like a NM98. Not to say that was my pick, but more so what I look for in selecting a book for my own collection. ( currently I have none of these :tonofbricks: but I’m just not into SA and up. I’m diggin the GA now)

I do agree that NM98 likely won’t be worth much more than its current price in 2-3 years, likely why I don’t have one. I still think it’s an awesome book.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:57 PM, Franzese10 said:

Hello,

I am a comic investor and wanted to get some opinions on what comics to buy right now which you feel would increase substantially over the next few years.

Personally, I think FF #48 and Tomb of Dracula #10 will skyrocket.

What do you guys think?

Avengers #47. I putting a CGC 9.8 up for auction on eBay this Sunday! :headbang: Or make me an offer!

7 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Avengers #47. I putting a CGC 9.8 up for auction on eBay this Sunday! :headbang: Or make me an offer!

Seeing the X-Men fight the Avengers would certainly be a cool way to introduce the characters.  I know your post was in jest, but I had bought an X-Men #9 with similar hopes we would see it in the mcu one day.  Ended up selling it because I think it still may be another 3-5 years out.

Edited by 90sChild

16 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

Seeing the X-Men fight the Avengers would certainly be a cool way to introduce the characters.  I know your post was in jest, but I had bought an X-Men #9 with similar hopes we would see it in the mcu one day.  Ended up selling it because I think it still may be another 3-5 years out.

It was sort of jest haha and not because the avengers are fighting the x-men. It’s because it’s the first appearance of the Black Knight who maybe introduced in Avengers Endgame. It’s already tripled in price in the past 3 weeks since I bought it.

Edited by Xenosmilus

These 2. Especially the treasury. 

a marvel vs DC movie is as sure as it gets. When that happens watch these two explode in price. My prediction is close to $1000 for a NM copy of the treasury and solid $50 for the modern.

IF they end up using Access, than marvel vs dc #1 may very well be a 3-400$ In 9.8

IMG_3301.thumb.PNG.a3f68e3654ff9e6da23bc8324bdb43da.PNGIMG_3302.thumb.PNG.4124be05e0a62033033dacb3d7f82723.PNG

11 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

These 2. Especially the treasury. 

a marvel vs DC movie is as sure as it gets. When that happens watch these two explode in price. My prediction is close to $1000 for a NM copy of the treasury and solid $50 for the modern.

IF they end up using Access, than marvel vs dc #1 may very well be a 3-400$ In 9.8

IMG_3301.thumb.PNG.a3f68e3654ff9e6da23bc8324bdb43da.PNG

I think it would be very difficult finding that treasury in a 9.8 -- and hard to prove it was especially since no one reliable will professionally grade it (CGC) at this time. Even with the best of care-- just finding one in that great of condition when they came out was practically impossible imo.

Edited by 01TheDude

13 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Buy what you like and let the  chips fall where they may.

If you like FF giant #6 and buy a bunch 2 years ago when they were $10 in 8.0 raw the chips fall right where ya want em!!!  That one and black panther #1 I predicted and stocked up on.

Edited by kav

10 hours ago, kav said:

If you like FF giant #6 and buy a bunch 2 years ago when they were $10 in 8.0 raw the chips fall right where ya want em!!!  That one and black panther #1 I predicted and stocked up on.

Come on Kav - I've been hording for at least 3 or 4 years and they never were $10 in 8.0.  $10 in 2.0 maybe but I was having to pay $50 - $60 in that grade.