• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good candidate for pressing?

7 posts in this topic

I'm still sort of new at this. I didn't even know pressing was a thing until a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure if realigning the spine would make a significant enough improvement in grade. I realized book-in-hand inspection is the best way to determine if it is a good candidate. I think it is but I don't know if I'm a good enough judge yet. I would also be getting is graded and slabbed so I can eventually sell it. Thanks in advance!20190116_195826.thumb.jpg.b1fbb78c720dd78f0f4091fe578102e5.jpg

20190116_200006.jpg

20190116_195743.jpg

20190116_195948.jpg

20190116_195926.jpg

Your copy was cut with the wrap's midpoint shifted toward the front cover so this would not be a good candidate for a spine realignment.  If you did it would essentially roll the back half of the book out past the front cover and would stick out probably 1/4".  A good candidate for spine realignment is one which has a proportional page skew to the offset.  Below are the before and after pics of a book Susan Cicconi fixed.  Notice the page splay is proportional to the spine movement.  Your copy is great the way it is.

451.jpg.9481f7f30d8ce7e16e0e72cfff769516.jpg452.jpg.c82c47fa29e1d3ca2ec338cd6ac1087d.jpg

454.jpg.a5314d4efcbd3ee7c68e3b9e10bfea70.jpg453.jpg.9f787abba603a0614abeeb3c63ccbca5.jpg

2 minutes ago, comicquant said:

If you did it would essentially roll the back half of the book out past the front cover and would stick out probably 1/4

Ah, that makes sense. I have a few that are cut similarly to the one I posted. So if the all the pages line up, it is cut properly and isn't a roll. Thank you!

10 hours ago, emme_jay said:

Ah, that makes sense. I have a few that are cut similarly to the one I posted. So if the all the pages line up, it is cut properly and isn't a roll. Thank you!

I think Quant explained the spine roll situation accurately to you, not a candidate. I would also be hesitant about pressing this book at all. First, I don't see anything a press would help and secondly, it looks like there is a spine split at the bottom. Spine splits are vulnerable to getting worse. You have a really nice mid grade book but I don't see anything 'improvable' here.

50 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think Quant explained the spine roll situation accurately to you, not a candidate. I would also be hesitant about pressing this book at all. First, I don't see anything a press would help and secondly, it looks like there is a spine split at the bottom. Spine splits are vulnerable to getting worse. You have a really nice mid grade book but I don't see anything 'improvable' here.

I do. Actually I see a lot that can be improved if done correctly.

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

I do. Actually I see a lot that can be improved if done correctly.

Joey, I see a long vertical Color Breaking crease near the right edge, that spine split at the bottom spine, and color breaking creases bottom right corner. Becasue of these flaws, would any improvement from a press improve the grade beyond mid grade ?