WTB: Brides in Love #8, 1st Issue Special #8, Love Diary #43
1 1

13 posts in this topic

3,783 posts

I'm looking for a nice copy of Brides in Love #8 from Charlton. I'd prefer something 6.0 or above, but will consider nice presenting lower grades. This has a white cover, so the whiter the better, of course. Thanks!

I am also looking for a CGC 9.8 copy of 1st Issue Special #8, the first appearance of Warlord. 

Plus, I am now looking for amid grade or above copy of Love Diary #43. I will consider nice presenting lower grade copies as well!

Thanks!

Edited by Crimebuster

4,107 posts

Nicely presenting 1950's romance charltons are almost impossible, but I'm guessing you know that already - hence the reach out on the boards.  There are two on Ebay, one is a beater and the other VG on a good day, but that may be your only option if you have to own one.

A sweet Nicholas and Alascia cover, as a team they produced some great covers from this period. (thumbsu

3,783 posts
4 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Nicely presenting 1950's romance charltons are almost impossible, but I'm guessing you know that already - hence the reach out on the boards.  There are two on Ebay, one is a beater and the other VG on a good day, but that may be your only option if you have to own one.

A sweet Nicholas and Alascia cover, as a team they produced some great covers from this period. (thumbsu

Yeah, I suspect this is one I'm going to have to luck into box diving somewhere. The two copies on ebay aren't going to work for me. The one is a wreck - though I do have a soft spot for covers with goofy doodles on them, in this case I want a clean copy. And the other is from a seller who has all his romance books at 3-10x reasonable prices (no offense to anyone if it's a boardie). 

I'm still mostly focusing on Bronze Age books, but I am getting closer to having at least placeholder copies of all the books on my personal key list, so I'm starting to look at Silver Age stuff, and this is a favorite. 

Sad thing is, I think I might have seen a copy at a show last year that was better than either of the ones on ebay but I passed at the time because I wanted something a little nicer. Now that I know more about Charlton romance books from this era, I won't make that mistake again! My memory says it was around a 5.5. 

4,107 posts

The fact that you saw one at a show is kinda amazing to me, and just says that, for better or worse, box diving may be obligatory moving forward.

Good luck with the hunt!  I got into romance way back partly because I couldn't afford to buy the silver keys of my youth again, partly because they are so dang funny, and partly because of the incredible challenge to find these babies in anything approaching grade.  Any questions or insight you want about the genre, feel free to ask.  All of us who buy romance make their way to it in a very strange and crooked path, none of us start out digging it. 

Charlton's a blast, my fave happens to be Colletta.  Slammed by Kirby fans, revered by romance groupies.

and oh yeh, if David T. Alexander was going to take offense at being accused of high pricing, he'd be offended all day, every day!

Edited by Dr. Love

3,783 posts
On 1/25/2019 at 6:05 PM, Dr. Love said:

The fact that you saw one at a show is kinda amazing to me, and just says that, for better or worse, box diving may be obligatory moving forward.

I think it was at Terrificon in CT. There were four or five dealers who had decent romance sections, with one in particular having a pretty large and robust selection. When I asked him if he had any romance, he said, "I think any real comic book dealer needs to have a good romance section!" Another dealer told me they had felt higher demand for romance recently. 

The guy who had the Brides in Love #8, though, was one of those old school guys who has like reclaimed cardboard boxes from Pampers or something instead of comic boxes, and stacks of comics piled on his table and stuff. He had a small selection of maybe 10-15 late 50's mid-grade Charlton romance books, which if memory serves were in the 5.5-6.0 range, at $20 each. I am kicking myself for not buying it! If I knew then what I know now... :frustrated:

Edited by Crimebuster

3,783 posts

Looking for a CGC 9.8 copy of 1st Issue Special #8!

Also still looking for a nice copy of Brides in Love #8. 

Thanks!

3,783 posts

I am now also looking for Love Diary #43. mid or higher grade preferred, but I will also consider lower grade copies that present well. Thanks!

3,783 posts
Posted (edited)

bump

Edited by Crimebuster

3,783 posts

Bump! Still looking for these!