• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collected from 1977-1979, opening up the box now!
1 1

9 posts in this topic

New here, thanks for the add!  I collected comics for only a couple years in the late 70s.  My older brother was into collecting so of course I caught the bug too, albeit briefly.  He's since sold most of his books; my modest little collection has literally been in a box in my closet all this time.  I have a pretty good idea what's in there but really have no idea of what grades the books would bring.  I joined here so I could find out more about what I have.  I think the real meat of my collection is ASM 159-198.  The earlier issues aren't higher grade because I didn't get them new, but starting at about #165 all the copies were bought by me, new off the rack, then stored unread.  I almost fell over when I saw what #194 was going for these days!  My copy looks very pristine (to my newbie eyes anyway) with only one tiny dent in the cover.  I'm afraid to even touch the thing for obvious reasons, but I suppose I need to get it graded.  I assume that's my most valuable book.  There's also a Marvel Premiere #15 in there, plus a Marvel Feature #1, but I don't think either is higher than a 6 or 7.  

I need to repackage these books.  After looking at a few threads, I'm still unsure whether polyethylene or mylar is the way to go.  Any help?  Also, on a couple of these books when looking at the cover, you can faintly see some of the printing from the inside front cover showing through. Is this normal?  Lastly, and this may sound like a dumb question, will scanning these books harm them in any way?

Thanks again for the add, and thanks for the newbie help!  (thumbsu

Are you planning on keeping the books long term or just selling them? If long term and you can afford it, Mylar (I like the Mylite-2s, everyone has their own preference). If you're just planning on appraising/grading/selling, then regular poly bags with boards will be fine. Some of the more expensive books, you might want to put in two boards behind them. 

The printing visible through the front cover? Especially if it's white, then yes, that's normal. 

No, scanning the book won't harm them. Just be super careful handling them. 

Welcome to the boards!

13 hours ago, Roo_Phillip said:

New here, thanks for the add!  I collected comics for only a couple years in the late 70s.  My older brother was into collecting so of course I caught the bug too, albeit briefly.  He's since sold most of his books; my modest little collection has literally been in a box in my closet all this time.  I have a pretty good idea what's in there but really have no idea of what grades the books would bring.  I joined here so I could find out more about what I have.  I think the real meat of my collection is ASM 159-198.  The earlier issues aren't higher grade because I didn't get them new, but starting at about #165 all the copies were bought by me, new off the rack, then stored unread.  I almost fell over when I saw what #194 was going for these days!  My copy looks very pristine (to my newbie eyes anyway) with only one tiny dent in the cover.  I'm afraid to even touch the thing for obvious reasons, but I suppose I need to get it graded.  I assume that's my most valuable book.  There's also a Marvel Premiere #15 in there, plus a Marvel Feature #1, but I don't think either is higher than a 6 or 7.  

I need to repackage these books.  After looking at a few threads, I'm still unsure whether polyethylene or mylar is the way to go.  Any help?  Also, on a couple of these books when looking at the cover, you can faintly see some of the printing from the inside front cover showing through. Is this normal?  Lastly, and this may sound like a dumb question, will scanning these books harm them in any way?

Welcome to the boards!

Did you ever read those comics ? It's a shame f you just stuck them in a box & never read them! 

13 hours ago, eee91 said:

Are you planning on keeping the books long term or just selling them? If long term and you can afford it, Mylar (I like the Mylite-2s, everyone has their own preference). If you're just planning on appraising/grading/selling, then regular poly bags with boards will be fine. Some of the more expensive books, you might want to put in two boards behind them. 

The printing visible through the front cover? Especially if it's white, then yes, that's normal. 

No, scanning the book won't harm them. Just be super careful handling them. 

Welcome to the boards!

Thanks eee91!  At first I thought it was time to sell them, especially when I looked up what some were selling for now.  But now that I've pulled them all out I seem to be overcome with a severe case of nostalgia--even though it's been 40 years, I still remember most of these covers!  And the SMELL--God, I remember that wonderful COMIC BOOK SMELL!  Not sure I want to give these up now, so I guess I'll spring for the mylar.  

11 hours ago, comics4all said:

Welcome to the boards!

Did you ever read those comics ? It's a shame f you just stuck them in a box & never read them! 

Can I confess something here?  Has the statute of limitations on Comic Sins expired after 40 years?  Okay then, here goes:

I did read some of the comics I bought.  Very carefully.  But I always figured unread meant better condition down the road, so if I wanted to keep current on a particular book's story line I'd covertly read the latest issue while at the comic store, then search through the rack for the best copy and take that one home unread.  There, I've been carrying that around since I was 13, I feel much better now! :)

1 hour ago, Roo_Phillip said:

Thanks eee91!  At first I thought it was time to sell them, especially when I looked up what some were selling for now.  But now that I've pulled them all out I seem to be overcome with a severe case of nostalgia--even though it's been 40 years, I still remember most of these covers!  And the SMELL--God, I remember that wonderful COMIC BOOK SMELL!  Not sure I want to give these up now, so I guess I'll spring for the mylar.  

That's awesome! Go get the mylar! Love old comic book smell!!

Keep'em!! Nostalgia's helluva drug!

Can I confess something here?  Has the statute of limitations on Comic Sins expired after 40 years?  Okay then, here goes:

I did read some of the comics I bought.  Very carefully.  But I always figured unread meant better condition down the road, so if I wanted to keep current on a particular book's story line I'd covertly read the latest issue while at the comic store, then search through the rack for the best copy and take that one home unread.  There, I've been carrying that around since I was 13, I feel much better now! :)

Got it! That makes total sense!

Not sure I want to give these up now, so I guess I'll spring for the mylar.  

Mylar is the better choice. Additionally, and don't ignore this, buy the proper size. Minimally, buy the mylar that holds Silver Age, maybe even SIlver/Golden. Don't buy Standard or Moderns. The books will be too snug and it's easy to damage taking them in and out. Sounds exciting. Have fun ! PS You should hold on to the  #194, it's a good one to own !

On 1/25/2019 at 7:51 AM, Roo_Phillip said:

1977 is the year of the 35 cent price variants. What city did you buy these in?

If you have any of the tougher 35 cent variants you might have quite a haul!