• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy Eights - top 75 from the Marvel Silver Age
2 2

33 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

What I’m referring to is that, IMO, the desire for early back issues of FF and ASM ( especially, but not exclusively) is what got the hobby really going. 

I totally agree, they are the cornerstones of Marvel (though FF seemed to have kind of faded for a while). I was just impressed by how well those first six issues of Hulk performed on the list, especially when you consider ol' greenskin's only other significantly valued issue is Bronze Age and his only part in the comic was introducing the universe to Marvel's favorite Canadian.

It's a great list, but I would just point out how hard it is to set expectations on price, especially for a complete novice.  There are several books on your list with prices that really jump out to me as low.  If you find a JIM #83 8.0 for $22,500, please let me know immediately so I can buy it.  :takeit:

10 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

It's a great list, but I would just point out how hard it is to set expectations on price, especially for a complete novice.  There are several books on your list with prices that really jump out to me as low.  If you find a JIM #83 8.0 for $22,500, please let me know immediately so I can buy it.  :takeit:

For sure, that sales price (the last for a JIM #83 in that grade) was from June 2017. The only recent sale close was a 6.5 for $14,900 this month. 

The list was intended more to give my friend an idea of the relative value of the different Marvel Silver Age keys in relation to each other. For instance, he kept phoning me amazed at how cheap high grade issues of Iron Man #1 were - he had never even heard of Tales of Suspense #39 and had no idea that was the 1st appearance of Iron Man. I also warned him not to use BIN prices on Ebay as a barometer of how much different keys are worth.

And why would you need a JIM #83 in 8.0 anyways? Rumor has it your sweet Silver Age collection is all 9.4 and up!   (worship)

23 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

+1000 some of these prices are really low . GPA misses a lot of bigger book sales.  One thing that just punches me in the face is how under valued DD #1 is! Also TTA #35 is so undervalued!

Edited by paul747

Unfortunately all I had for reference was last recorded GPA sales for the individual  comics in the specified grade (8.0). If anyone has any more up to date sales info send it to me and I will be happy to update the list! (thumbsu

On 1/25/2019 at 7:23 PM, Black_Adam said:

Why is Hulk still so far ahead of FF when it comes to first issue values? Smaller print run? Simple supply and demand?

I’m guessing that Hulk 1 didn’t sell very well creating a small supply pool today. I base that on the original run only lasting six issues before cancellation.

On 1/26/2019 at 9:08 AM, Black_Adam said:

For sure, that sales price (the last for a JIM #83 in that grade) was from June 2017. The only recent sale close was a 6.5 for $14,900 this month. 

The list was intended more to give my friend an idea of the relative value of the different Marvel Silver Age keys in relation to each other. For instance, he kept phoning me amazed at how cheap high grade issues of Iron Man #1 were - he had never even heard of Tales of Suspense #39 and had no idea that was the 1st appearance of Iron Man. I also warned him not to use BIN prices on Ebay as a barometer of how much different keys are worth.

And why would you need a JIM #83 in 8.0 anyways? Rumor has it your sweet Silver Age collection is all 9.4 and up!   (worship)

Thank you very much for the kind words -- but my 9.4 run generally goes back to a certain point (varies by title) and then it goes down to more affordable grades.  The only major Marvel title for which I have a true 9.4 run would be Daredevil -- just a few more issues to go and I'll have #1-109 complete.  But that's because Daredevil is easily the most affordable title of the bunch.

For JIM, I *just* picked up a 7.0 of #83 and I can now say I have a complete run of #83-125 with several issues I'd still like to upgrade.  My dream is to someday own a 9.0 of #83, but I would also consider upgrading to 8.0 along the way.  :whee:

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

4 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thank you very much for the kind words -- but my 9.4 run generally goes back to a certain point (varies by title) and then it goes down to more affordable grades.  The only major Marvel title for which I have a true 9.4 run would be Daredevil -- just a few more issues to go and I'll have #1-109 complete.  But that's because Daredevil is easily the most affordable title of the bunch.

For JIM, I *just* picked up a 7.0 of #83 and I can now say I have a complete run of #83-125 with several issues I'd still like to upgrade.  My dream is to someday own a 9.0 of #83, but I would also consider upgrading to 8.0 along the way.  :whee:

Ironically, assuming the CGC 7.0 Journey into Mystery #83 was the one from the current Comiclink featured auction, the friend I created this list for was the under bidder!

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

Ironically, assuming the CGC 7.0 Journey into Mystery #83 was the one from the current Comiclink featured auction, the friend I created this list for was the under bidder!

Yep, that's the one.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Have you posted that magnificent comic?!

I wasn't going to, but since you asked KJ ... I'll go put it up in the JIM #83 club.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:50 AM, kc2112 said:

Nice List. Good Work. So is this a list of most all Marvel Silver Age Comics which sell for at least 1K in 8.0? 

I don't think Sub-Mariner 1 sells for quite that much however. Perhaps Silver Surfer 4 would be an appropriate replacement? Or JIM 89?

Hey, good catch on the Sub-Mariner, his 1st issue has been rising lately but not near that high (not sure where I got that figure). Consider him officially cut loose!

And while the other two comics are both worthy candidates neither has cracked the $1k mark (yet). List updated!

Image result for not brand ecch sub-mariner