• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is TOS 39 still as highly regarded?
2 2

54 posts in this topic

Unfortunately I have no dollars and cents data to confirm this, but I've been  getting the feeling for a while that collectors aren't as hot on TOS 39 as they used to be. Could just be things going in cycles, but it seems like amongst the Marvel "Grails" it has fallen somewhat in desirability. 

I've always loved the book and I'm proud to have one in my collection. Just curious where it falls  on the list of desirable keys for other collectors. Personally I would rank it only below AF15, Hulk 1 and FF1. 

11 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Unfortunately I have no dollars and cents data to confirm this, but I've been  getting the feeling for a while that collectors aren't as hot on TOS 39 as they used to be. Could just be things going in cycles, but it seems like amongst the Marvel "Grails" it has fallen somewhat in desirability. 

I've always loved the book and I'm proud to have one in my collection. Just curious where it falls  on the list of desirable keys for other collectors. Personally I would rank it only below AF15, Hulk 1 and FF1. 

Really? its up 100 percent in 3 years.

29 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

I would definitely rank it #4 for most desired Marvel Silver Age keys, but I don't think it will be long before Amazing Spider-Man #1 surpasses it.

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I’d personally take ASM 1, X-M 1, and especially JIM 83 over it, but please bear in mind that I’m very old-school.

ToS 39 is now, and has always been, a huge key!

ASM 1 check

JIM 83 check

TOS 39 check

XM1 - no interest in owning. I’ve always felt that GSX1 is the book to get.

12 minutes ago, piper said:

ASM 1 check

JIM 83 check

TOS 39 check

XM1 - no interest in owning. I’ve always felt that GSX1 is the book to get.

GSX1 is undeniably a monster. IMHO, the biggest of the 70s. While the all new, all different team deserves the attention, the original members never go completely away, and I think Prof X, Jean Grey and Cyclops are really the core of the new team. I feel like X-Men 1 is yet to hit its high point.

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

GSX1 is undeniably a monster. IMHO, the biggest of the 70s. While the all new, all different team deserves the attention, the original members never go completely away, and I think Prof X, Jean Grey and Cyclops are really the core of the new team. I feel like X-Men 1 is yet to hit its high point.

+1000 i think it will keep climbing!

10 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Not to mention X-Men 1 also brings Magneto who is arguably the most important mutant and arguably the most important Marvel villain (although I may be willing to concede it is Doom :) ). 

For me it goes AF15, Hulk 1, FF1, X-Men 1, TOS39 - I am trying to buy a TOS39 this year as my “big book” and am finding low grade copies surprisingly difficult to find. 

2 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Not to mention X-Men 1 also brings Magneto who is arguably the most important mutant and arguably the most important Marvel villain (although I may be willing to concede it is Doom :) ). 

For me it goes AF15, Hulk 1, FF1, X-Men 1, TOS39 - I am trying to buy a TOS39 this year as my “big book” and am finding low grade copies surprisingly difficult to find. 

Magneto vs. a guy who made his costume out of scrap iron? No contest!

And best of luck with the TOS 39, I can only dream. :cloud9:

I'm biased because the FF and Iron Man (along with the Avengers) were my favorite comics to read growing up, but to me the Superlative Six is comprised of AF 15, FF 1, Hulk 1, TOS 39, JIM 83, and X-Men 1.  TTA 27 and ASM 1 come next.

Good luck in your TOS 39 quest!

Dan

3 hours ago, jeranimal said:

I still love my TOS 39!  Awesome character and cover!  

I also have an AF 15, FF 1, Hulk 1, XM 1, and JIM 83.  This year's Silver targets are ASM 1, Avengers 1 & 4, Showcase 4.  

Based on your priority want list, are you trying to get a 2nd copy? :baiting:

On 1/25/2019 at 3:38 PM, serling1978 said:

I've actually asked myself the same thing lately.  It is on my want list.  Congrats for owning one.  For selfish reasons, I hope it's still relatively affordable when I'm finally able to buy one.  For Marvel silver keys, I'd say my favorites list is as follows:

AF15, Hulk 1, JIM 83, TOS 39, FF 1, X-Men 1, ASM 1, DD 1.  I only have 2 out of the 8 so I have a long way to go. 

Edited by cbbcomics
I can't spell.

53 minutes ago, cbbcomics said:

For Marvel silver keys, I'd say my favorites list is as follows:

AF15, Hulk 1, JIM 83, TOS 39, FF 1, X-Men 1, ASM 1, DD 1.  I only have 2 out of the 8 so I have a long way to go. 

My top 8 favorites are weird, but they’re favorites, not the “best” 8.

Fantastic Four 1, Journey Into Mystery 83, Amazing Spider-Man 1, Fantastic Four 4, Strange Tales 110, Avengers 4, Tales To Astonish 27, and Strange Tales 101.

10 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

My top 8 favorites are weird, but they’re favorites, not the “best” 8.

Fantastic Four 1, Journey Into Mystery 83, Amazing Spider-Man 1, Fantastic Four 4, Strange Tales 110, Avengers 4, Tales To Astonish 27, and Strange Tales 101.

Good creative list.  Talking strange tales I would add in annual 2. It's an underrated book in my opinion (considering it's a very early Spidey appearance and his first crossover) and a good read. I like how on the cover Spidey doesn't even have the spider symbol on his chest.