• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is TOS 39 still as highly regarded?
2 2

54 posts in this topic

My top silver age books that I have always cherished are in order AF 15, FF 1, HULK 1, X-MEN 1, TOS 39, AVENGERS 1, AVENGERS 4, TTA 27. Still missing my JIM 83 but hoping to get one this year and place it right after my TOS 39. The coolest part is that I joined this unbelievable forum February 1st 2016 and have purchased each of those books except for my Avengers 4 (already owned it) here on the forum. It started with meeting Bunky Brian at a local comic show after being out of collecting for maybe 15 years. He told me about the forum and less than a year after that I met him at his business and purchased my AF15 and have not looked back. I have been really lucky to find myself surrounded by some great people here that I have purchased some incredible books from, sold a few good books too as well and all while soaking up valuable advice along the way. 

(Oops just remembered got my FF 1 through a comiclink auction but only after some great forum advice). :gossip:

On 9/21/2021 at 11:01 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

Did anyone else notice the 8.0 that sold for 89k, according to GPA. It has Cream to Off-White pages. 

That's a hefty jump in price. Is there something going on with this book that I don't know about? 

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 8.58.35 AM (2).png

That $89.5K is the only sale of an 8.0 noted by GPA since last September's $26,609.   Although that is a hefty jump standing alone, the jump is on par with how many SA [any age?] keys have done since then.  So something specific to TOS39 need not be going on to explain that recent 8.0 sale.  That said, it is interesting that TOS39 continues to set all-time highs in many grades that have had more sales this year (like 6.5, 4.5, 4.0, 3.5, 1.0), and THAT could be specific to TOS39.  It looks like TOS39 is among those special books (like AF15, IH1, any others?) that for now appear to be immune from the softness/correction that many recently "hot" books are experiencing at this time.

Edited by Pantodude

On 9/21/2021 at 2:56 PM, Sauce Dog said:

When it comes to TOS 39 I feel we still have yet to see its potential and find that it is very much undervalued for how epic of a key it is. I already have teens (17-19) contacting me on Instagram trying to buy my coverless copy off me since it is the only thing they could afford at the moment. Very few low grade copies hit the market, with mainly mid-high grade copies tend to float around at obscene asking prices. I have another complete copy (0.5 CGC) that is out being fully restored right now, but I would love to add another one to my collection seeing as he's both my favourite Marvel hero and an obvious great investment. 

Lock your copies away until the MCU generation hits their 30s and the full power of nostalgia begins to take hold in their collector minds (I'm also sure Disney could easily bring RDJR back to the role for a surprise in the future which would just ignite this nostalgia and amount to another massive money pile for them all)

I agree and would add that Iron Man started the MCU and will always have a large following for multiple generations as kids have grown up watching these movies.  Disney used Iron Man as the centerpiece of the MCU and will always have a huge following. 

On 9/21/2021 at 9:01 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

Did anyone else notice the 8.0 that sold for 89k, according to GPA. It has Cream to Off-White pages. 

That's a hefty jump in price. Is there something going on with this book that I don't know about? 

Wackadoodle investors that have too much money and no concept of value.  That is why prices on all kinds of comics are all over the place.  There is no logic to the market at all.  It will be interesting to see what happens when the dust settles in a few years.

On 9/21/2021 at 8:54 PM, ned said:

Key Collector says that a 7.0 sold for $47,970. 

I don't see it in GPA, anyone know any more details about this sale?

Sold on Goldinauctions a week or 2 ago 

Lot Detail - 1963 Marvel Comics "Tales of Suspense" #39 - Origin & 1st Appearance of Iron Man (Tony Stark) - CGC 7.0 (goldinauctions.com)

HOT book, and i feel has become undervalued with the recent spike in big SA keys.  this one is on the cusp of big things.  better grab a copy now if you dont have one....IMO :banana:

Edited by GAMBIT

On 9/22/2021 at 2:11 PM, GAMBIT said:

Sold on Goldinauctions a week or 2 ago 

Lot Detail - 1963 Marvel Comics "Tales of Suspense" #39 - Origin & 1st Appearance of Iron Man (Tony Stark) - CGC 7.0 (goldinauctions.com)

HOT book, and i feel has become undervalued with the recent spike in big SA keys.  this one is on the cusp of big times.  better grab a copy now if you dont have one....IMO :banana:

Wow, that just hit GPA as well. Interesting hm

On 9/22/2021 at 5:10 AM, Beardown said:

I agree and would add that Iron Man started the MCU and will always have a large following for multiple generations as kids have grown up watching these movies.  Disney used Iron Man as the centerpiece of the MCU and will always have a huge following. 

I somewhat agree here. I do wonder how many new fans have the attachment to the character in the movies vs the actual first appearance in a comic book? Remember, these comics are older than the parents of the last couple of generations.

Where will Disney go next for their next entertainment franchise?