• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales 110 - touched up with marker?

7 posts in this topic

I suspect this is the case, but on the outside chance this is a normal ink artifact for this issue  - I bought this ST110 29 years ago, and as far as I know just realized it is likely had a crease blackened with marker.  It is only vislble at an angle to light source, otherwise it blends quite well    area is lower right front cover,  along  what looks like  a cut or crease line.  Am I right on this?  would this be considered restoration for grading, or just general damage/wear/marking?

ST110.TOUCHUP.JPG.4b28dd650f41921431cc1b8039dabfd8.JPG

2 hours ago, comicquant said:

From the pic it definitely appears to be color touch.  Did it bleed through?  It looks like they didn't try to do it carefully so I would think it would bleed through the front cover.

Hi, thanks for your reply - it did not bleed onto the inside of the front cover - but  placement definitely looks like a fast fix for white crease lines.

17 hours ago, comicquant said:

From the pic it definitely appears to be color touch.  Did it bleed through?  It looks like they didn't try to do it carefully so I would think it would bleed through the front cover.

I agree. Color touch. Color touch doesn't always bleed. In this case, you can see the surrounding iridescence. Don't need a black light for that on this one. With this much touch up in that area alone, chances favor there being color touch on spine tears/creases, and on other edger areas.

Edited by James J Johnson

19 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I agree. Color touch. Color touch doesn't always bleed. In this case, you can see the surrounding iridescence. Don't need a black light for that on this one. With this much touch up in that area alone, chances favor there being color touch on spine tears/creases, and on other edger areas.

you are right - I took it out for another closer look - the black below the price is touched up, as is one edge of the black around the text in lower left of cover.

what does this level of color touch do to valuation in general?  It is frustrating because (factually) it was done >=30 years  ago but I didn't know enough to even look for it at the time (Paid 100 dollars  in 1988 according to info inside the protector, it was the most  expensive comic I had ever  bought to that date).

1 hour ago, dogfooddog said:

(Paid 100 dollars  in 1988)

Then count your blessings, amateur attempt at restoration or not!  Typically, enough time heals all old wounds pertaining to comic buying "errors". Of course, the value would be greater if the book was in the same unrestored condition, but be that as it may, for $100 1988 dollars, your investment paid dividends of at least 1000% in 2019. Could you have better invested that $100 in 1988? Sure. You could have bought two dozen MSH 13s or your weight in Ms. Marvel 1s! But very few have a crystal ball or that kind of luck.  For $100, you're more than OK on this.

Edited by James J Johnson