• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is a married coupon a purple label?

12 posts in this topic

I saw something recently that made me scratch my head. Saw a blue label CGC Hulk 1 that had a large photo copy piece added to the cover. Not sure how this wasn't considered restored or maybe qualified. It was 1.5 and looked pretty worn in general.

I happen to have a Hulk 1 that looks to be a 2.0 or so that has a neatly cut out coupon from an ad page that doesn't affect the story. Just curious if I were to track down the exact coupon (seems difficult) and marry it, would it be a green label, a blue label, or purple? 

I like the book as is and feel 90% sure that I'll leave it as is since it's such a huge book. But I'm just curious. Any info would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think it gets a Qualified grade. A married page rarely matches up exactly with the staples. Depending on the work done to get it to marry, it may lead to a Restored label.  (shrug)

Thanks for the info. In this case the ad page is fully attached, there's just one small coupon cut out of the page. Lining up a coupon in the middle of the page would be pretty difficult though I imagine. I don't think I've ever seen a married coupon on a graded book before.

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think it gets a Qualified grade. A married page rarely matches up exactly with the staples. Depending on the work done to get it to marry, it may lead to a Restored label.  (shrug)

Oops. I replied twice by mistake just now

Edited by serling1978
Typo

2 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Thanks for the info. In this case the ad page is fully attached, there's just one small coupon cut out of the page. Lining up a coupon in the middle of the page would be pretty difficult though I imagine. I don't think I've ever seen a married coupon on a graded book before.

I was thinking you would marry the whole page. I have no idea about just replacing the coupon. Assuming some substance would be needed to hold it in place, that would be Restoration .

13 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I was thinking you would marry the whole page. I have no idea about just replacing the coupon. Assuming some substance would be needed to hold it in place, that would be Restoration .

I was thinking the same thing. Which is why I was confused about part of a cover being replaced by a photo copy piece not being considered restored. It had to be stuck on there with tape or glue I would think. 

2 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Which is why I was confused about part of a cover being replaced by a photo copy piece not being considered restored. It had to be stuck on there with tape or glue I would think. 

Yes, and that is Restoration. It is usually noted as 'pieces added'. 

It would come back restored, or qualified at best.

The only way you can add pieces to a book is if the pieces added are archival, they are only added for structural support, and only under a certain amount is added (I believe the cap for this is 2"x2" in total but I may be mistaken.

If pieces from another book are cannibalized CGC will mark it Restored.

I don’t know.  I think it could get a universal because who’s to say the coupon wasn’t cut from the book being graded then reattached with tape.  Married simply means whatever piece has been attached has an origin other than the book being graded.  Just like you see books with universal labels stating “cover attached with tape”.  As opposed to qualified or restored saying “married cover”.  Granted a qualified label would get a higher grade.  As for being restored, if archival tape or even rice paper was used it would earn a purple label because you’re intentionally improving the book.  You can have a 181 with a missing coupon be universal but the grade will be much lower.  Qualified is essentially saying “if the coupon were present it would qualify as a 9.4”.  Blue label is saying “some insufficiently_thoughtful_person cut the coupon so grade is a 4.0”.  

Edited by comicquant