• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on selling my small private collection
1 1

46 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, 60s_kid said:

Bob not sure where you got the 'Thanks but I'm going to do it my way'. If you re-read my posts I said I will probably try sell some books here. I am concerned that I am not known on these boards but I will give it a try. I'm not in a big hurry to sell my better stuff.

I believe you said you were going to go the BIN on E-Bay route for your better stuff, getting prices from GoCollect. IMO, this is the worst approach for your 'better' stuff. In any case, it's your stuff, your call, no problem.

On 1/29/2019 at 12:31 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

PLease don't take offense from my comment. This seems to happen a lot here and it can get frustrating. Why did you come here asking for advice when you had your mind already set on what you wanted to do ? You ackowledge our suggestions but then say 'Thanks but I'm going to do it my way'. You are already making a rookie mistake by utilizing GoCollect.com for your valuations. Again, I wish you good luck but no more advice from me here. 

GoCollect owner/founder here - Jeff Meyer. I'm no rookie to buying comics. My niche is high-grade, classic GA covers (http://blog.gocollect.com/my-golden-age-comic-collection/). I don't want to even admit how much I've spent over the past few years in public auctions. I still use GPA, but I started GoCollect because GPA has zero transparency. If you trust that one 8.0 is the same as any other 8.0, that's the rookie mistake. If you want to see where a book sold and link to it so that you can investigate pictures.... now you're truly utilizing the value of GoCollect. And if you want to do a search for a book using an actual number... GC will get you there faster.... and if you want reference pictures... and if you want to easily slice/dice lists... and if you want to look up CGC cert numbers with friendly output... and if you want to model your own values... and if you want to see sales of "the other grading team"... and if you want... I could go on and on for how GoCollect offers a great supplement and/or replacement to GPA. Full disclosure, I use GPA myself. I circle back to it when I'm curious to see if they might display some sales that GC doesn't have listed. GC currently tracks sale links back to eBay, Hake's, ComicConnect, ComicLink and Heritage.

That said, if all you've done is analyze GoCollect using the FMV values... you haven't experienced all it has to offer. At which point I can understand your position.

On 1/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, thunsicker said:

I disagree.  Though GoCollect doesn’t have as much or varied sources as GPA, it’s not like he used comicspriceguide.com or something.  

Thanks Tim

3 hours ago, jhm said:

GoCollect owner/founder here - Jeff Meyer. I'm no rookie to buying comics. My niche is high-grade, classic GA covers (http://blog.gocollect.com/my-golden-age-comic-collection/). I don't want to even admit how much I've spent over the past few years in public auctions. I still use GPA, but I started GoCollect because GPA has zero transparency. If you trust that one 8.0 is the same as any other 8.0, that's the rookie mistake. If you want to see where a book sold and link to it so that you can investigate pictures.... now you're truly utilizing the value of GoCollect. And if you want to do a search for a book using an actual number... GC will get you there faster.... and if you want reference pictures... and if you want to easily slice/dice lists... and if you want to look up CGC cert numbers with friendly output... and if you want to model your own values... and if you want to see sales of "the other grading team"... and if you want... I could go on and on for how GoCollect offers a great supplement and/or replacement to GPA. Full disclosure, I use GPA myself. I circle back to it when I'm curious to see if they might display some sales that GC doesn't have listed. GC currently tracks sale links back to eBay, Hake's, ComicConnect, ComicLink and Heritage.

That said, if all you've done is analyze GoCollect using the FMV values... you haven't experienced all it has to offer. At which point I can understand your position.

Thanks Tim

Jeff, I apologize about the slight to your service. Though I remember trying it, I never followed through. In all honesty, I am not familiar with all it has to offer. Just being honest but I've never heard anyone endorse or recommend your service. The Boards seems to have embraced GPA as King, not much else seems to get recommended around here. I'll have to take another look. Sorry.

On 1/29/2019 at 5:29 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

You are already making a rookie mistake by utilizing GoCollect.com for your valuations. 

6 hours ago, jhm said:

GoCollect owner/founder here - Jeff Meyer. 

Star_Trek__PWNED_part_1_by_JudiHyuga.jpg

After being accused of making a 'rookie mistake' I decided to pony up the money for a 1 month subscription to GPA. I have looked at sales of my 20 or so slabs on both GPA and GoCollect now and while GPA does have more sales listed than GC, many of the extras (not all) are older sales that I would not make current pricing decisions on. GC also has some sales that GPA does not have including sales within the last few years from both eBay and ComicConnect.  I know GPA uses these sources so I'm not sure why some sales from them are missing. My advice to collectors here is if you really want to see as many sales as possible you need to use both although for heavily sold comics you could probably use either one satisfactorily. 

Also I appreciate the advice everyone offered on this thread. I will be offering some books for sale on this site and if I find eBay to be too painful I may go the ComicLink route. It does appear that they have achieved some good results with SA DCs. I kind of need a hobby in retirement so I don't mind trying eBay. If i just send them off to an auction house and let them deal with it I don't get any involvement. 

My primary collection for many years was raw SA DCs and yes, they are not as popular here as on eBay. They are not as popular on Clink as Marvel. However, they will sell at auction on eBay, especially once you have established some feedback.

Setting them up at fixed bins first is a good idea, you can judge by the views you get and the offers. When you are ready you can always go to auctions (and mention it in the eBay dealer thread.)

For the books that are raw, that's probably your best bet. Try them here and then eBay.

For slabs, I listed some things with Clink these last two auctions. MOST of the books I listed were GA, but I also listed a few SA DCs (including 1 key) .They are actually costing me less than eBay would, even though I'm a power seller. I don't have to pay PP fees, and that's 3.5 percent (approx). I also don't have to individually  pack the 20 books I sent in. I just mailed them in a group. The problem  is for the auction houses the books should be slabbed to get the best price (so it's not always good for raws) and SA DCs do not seem to do as well as Marvels. Those seem to do better on eBay...of course that could change any minute.

I'm rarely in a huge rush to sell things...it sounds like you are not either, so your plans sound fine, but do put up your list here first, then just transfer the left overs.

BTW, I check GPA, sold books on eBay, and for raw books I also check Heritage, Metro's website (to see what they are asking) and I google sales on the boards here as well.

Best of luck to you! :foryou:

35 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

For slabs, I listed some things with Clink these last two auctions. MOST of the books I listed were GA, but I also listed a few SA DCs (including 1 key) .They are actually costing me less than eBay would, even though I'm a power seller. I don't have to pay PP fees, and that's 3.5 percent (approx). I also don't have to individually  pack the 20 books I sent in. I just mailed them in a group. The problem  is for the auction houses the books should be slabbed to get the best price (so it's not always good for raws) and SA DCs do not seem to do as well as Marvels. Those seem to do better on eBay...of course that could change any minute.

Do you feel that slabbed SA DCs do as well or better on Clink as they would do on eBay?

9 hours ago, jhm said:

Thanks Tim

Sold me on trying the site.  ^^

6 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Jeff, I apologize about the slight to your service. Though I remember trying it, I never followed through. In all honesty, I am not familiar with all it has to offer. Just being honest but I've never heard anyone endorse or recommend your service. The Boards seems to have embraced GPA as King, not much else seems to get recommended around here. I'll have to take another look. Sorry.

I use GoCollect all the time, I think the reason the board has embraced GPA is because it is the old dinosaur of the graded pricing industry.  They have been around longer, sure.  They aren't innovating at the rate GoCollect is, but some people just like to "stick to what they know".  
To the original poster, there would be no harm in looking up values even just using the free part of the website to get an idea.  If you're worried about mispricing your items on ebay with a BIN, then just make it an auction only with NO BIN and start it at the minimum dollar amount that is acceptable if you get one bidder.  If you get more than one, great.
In all honesty though, if you are just trying to sell raws you are going to probably sell more books here.  The majority of people selling raws on ebay completely overgrade which has resulted in lower realized raw prices on ebay.  It is just my experience as a buyer on both the boards and ebay that raws would do better here.

Edited by 90sChild

3 minutes ago, grebal said:

Hey!

Isn't that the point of the thread? ; ) 

just messing with you m'dear.

I know you are kidding, but just in case someone else is not sure;) I'm SURE he's had many "buying pms" but not from me, lol...and if I were going to do that, I would not be YELLING IT OUT:) lol

On 1/26/2019 at 11:29 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

It sounds like you have some valuable books and you are better served putting them in auction. The BIN plan may see you lose out on some books because you 'guessed' wrong on the valuation. I remember listing a book with a BIN on E-Bay and it was gone in like 10 seconds and the buyer wanted more, similar books. I then realized I had made a mistake in the price. I still honored it but never again used a BIN. The non payers, retracted bidding, and excuses you will get on E-Bay will soon sour your positive attitude. But I sense you want to give this a try on your own so Good Luck.

As a seller who mostly uses eBay I’ll have to disagree with this. Auctions very rarely realize the best prices possible. I’ve left a ton of money on the table using auctions so rarely do them anymore. A hot key issue will do fine on bids but most other books will not. Research sold prices and list accordingly. Only downside to buy it now listing is it can be a slower process as some books will sit for longer periods of time. 

14 minutes ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

As a seller who mostly uses eBay I’ll have to disagree with this. Auctions very rarely realize the best prices possible. I’ve left a ton of money on the table using auctions so rarely do them anymore. A hot key issue will do fine on bids but most other books will not. Research sold prices and list accordingly. Only downside to buy it now listing is it can be a slower process as some books will sit for longer periods of time. 

I believe we are both correct. When I made the comment about auctions, I was thinking about the bigger auction houses or bigger E-Bay auctions. They get results. An individual E-Bay seller, with not much traffic, probably does not get the proper results, as evidenced by your experience. 

17 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Wow - thank you Bob! You sir are obviously a fine gentleman. Sorry my passion spilled out and hopefully it wasn't taken as too aggressive.

And thanks to others that are enjoying the service and willing to speak out. We're going to release a new feature tied to CGC very soon that I think you'll enjoy for looking up your own slabs or doing quick lookups at cons or online auctions. Little hint... typing the the CGC cert number into the home page on GoCollect is a little tedious ;)

BTW - I have an open offer to anyone on the CGC boards: if you'd like give GoCollect a try for free for 30 days, just shoot an email to help@gocollect.com with the email address that you use to sign into your free GoCollect account (and mention that you're a CGC board member). Our support staff will gladly hook you up!

3 hours ago, jhm said:

Wow - thank you Bob! You sir are obviously a fine gentleman. Sorry my passion spilled out and hopefully it wasn't taken as too aggressive.

And thanks to others that are enjoying the service and willing to speak out. We're going to release a new feature tied to CGC very soon that I think you'll enjoy for looking up your own slabs or doing quick lookups at cons or online auctions. Little hint... typing the the CGC cert number into the home page on GoCollect is a little tedious ;)

BTW - I have an open offer to anyone on the CGC boards: if you'd like give GoCollect a try for free for 30 days, just shoot an email to help@gocollect.com with the email address that you use to sign into your free GoCollect account (and mention that you're a CGC board member). Our support staff will gladly hook you up!

Jeff, indeed your passion about comics and your website is obvious, and that's a very good thing to have ! If anything, I think our discussion has brought a little more attention to your website, getting some Boardies to give it another look, including myself.   Looking back at some old threads, I think the 'knock' against the site was that you only had E-Bay data. It appears this has changed and you now have a lot more, including Heritage and CLink ? Please correct me if I am wrong. If you have CLink data, I predict your site will be be the new King. I'm going to take you up on your offer above and take a better look at your site and report back. 

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If you have CLink data, I predict your site will be be the new King. I'm going to take you up on your offer above and take a better look at your site and report back. 

I can caution you on the CLink data. GC posts links to CLink sales. Clink does not always keep these links active so many of them don't work but for some of the top sales they do work. For example on Action Comics 256 there is a sale of a 9.4 (highest graded) and also a 9.0 where the links do work.