• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on selling my small private collection
1 1

46 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, jhm said:

Wow - thank you Bob! You sir are obviously a fine gentleman. Sorry my passion spilled out and hopefully it wasn't taken as too aggressive.

And thanks to others that are enjoying the service and willing to speak out. We're going to release a new feature tied to CGC very soon that I think you'll enjoy for looking up your own slabs or doing quick lookups at cons or online auctions. Little hint... typing the the CGC cert number into the home page on GoCollect is a little tedious ;)

BTW - I have an open offer to anyone on the CGC boards: if you'd like give GoCollect a try for free for 30 days, just shoot an email to help@gocollect.com with the email address that you use to sign into your free GoCollect account (and mention that you're a CGC board member). Our support staff will gladly hook you up!

Thank you for this! I activated last night and started taking it for a spin.

I just sent my first batch of books to clink for auction and I have to say, after having unadultered access to their prior sales, I’m more concerned than I was prior to this tool...

Usually, outside of this last auction, all you here about is how high the hammer prices are on clink because people constantly post about getting outbid, but looking at the results...it’s def. mixed. I wonder if that’s part of their business model and why they aren’t completely transparent with prices? People talk about high prices more than low...

BUT it’s an auction, and I’m not naive enough to think results are guaranteed...committed now. :wishluck:

Again, thanks for the free trial. I’m certain you’ll yield some new customers with the gesture...

Edited by Callaway29

On 1/31/2019 at 10:07 AM, jhm said:

GoCollect owner/founder here - Jeff Meyer. I'm no rookie to buying comics. My niche is high-grade, classic GA covers (http://blog.gocollect.com/my-golden-age-comic-collection/). I don't want to even admit how much I've spent over the past few years in public auctions. I still use GPA, but I started GoCollect because GPA has zero transparency. If you trust that one 8.0 is the same as any other 8.0, that's the rookie mistake. If you want to see where a book sold and link to it so that you can investigate pictures.... now you're truly utilizing the value of GoCollect. And if you want to do a search for a book using an actual number... GC will get you there faster.... and if you want reference pictures... and if you want to easily slice/dice lists... and if you want to look up CGC cert numbers with friendly output... and if you want to model your own values... and if you want to see sales of "the other grading team"... and if you want... I could go on and on for how GoCollect offers a great supplement and/or replacement to GPA. Full disclosure, I use GPA myself. I circle back to it when I'm curious to see if they might display some sales that GC doesn't have listed. GC currently tracks sale links back to eBay, Hake's, ComicConnect, ComicLink and Heritage.

That said, if all you've done is analyze GoCollect using the FMV values... you haven't experienced all it has to offer. At which point I can understand your position.

Thanks Tim

I have been using GoCollect as my primary look up prices spot for about 4 months with GPA as my backup. 

GoCollect has so many other incredible features though. I am blown away by the Lists function to track my collection and the valuations of my books automatically. Pretty incredible tool. Love it.

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I have been using GoCollect as my primary look up prices spot for about 4 months with GPA as my backup. 

GoCollect has so many other incredible features though. I am blown away by the Lists function to track my collection and the valuations of my books automatically. Pretty incredible tool. Love it.

Wasn’t aware of this feature. With the volatility of today’s market the value of my, and everyone’s, collection is a moving target...so the real-time update thing sounds attractive. One and done versus painstakingly doing an evaluation on a periodic basis.

To the OP: I am in the final stages of selling off my 12-long-box Marvel collection, with probably 40 of those books either in 4 figures or 5 figures. I did the whole thing on eBay (with a handful sold here as well), and was/am pretty happy with the results, though as others have said, it’s a fair amount of work.

Sold off the later raw stuff and earlier lower grade comics last fall and this winter to pay for slabbing the slab-worthies and to build a reputation, then I sold almost all of the big CGC’d books (1 left) over the past 3 months.

This board was an invaluable resource for me toward that end.

Now, there will be pitfalls. You will make a pricing error from time to time, and you want to watch when you start and end your auctions (for my auctions I ran 10 days ending either Sunday or Monday nights), and you want to sell mostly in the fall and spring. And you’ll want to pay attention to what books are hot. And you’ll learn a lot about shipping, and have a room that looks like a combination USPS warehouse/ bubble wrap hoard/ cardboard graveyard... and your iPhone will constantly ding with bids and questions about books... and your kids will start calling you “Comic Book Man”... and you’ll be on a first name basis with everyone at the Post Office... and you’ll start to obsess about why this book didn’t sell for nearly what you thought it would... and wonder if you should pull books from auctions...

...wait...

...I forget my point. :) (J/K)

(actually it is kind of fun... but as happy as you'll be when you start, you’ll be even happier when it’s over) ;)

On 2/1/2019 at 10:24 PM, jhm said:

BTW - I have an open offer to anyone on the CGC boards: if you'd like give GoCollect a try for free for 30 days, just shoot an email to help@gocollect.com with the email address that you use to sign into your free GoCollect account (and mention that you're a CGC board member). Our support staff will gladly hook you up!

This is an old offer, but having only recently discovered GoCollect I have my fingers crossed it’s still valid!  I’ve just reached out to support it of check. Thanks @jhm - from what I can tell from the free platform - you and your team have built an excellent web app.