• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Canvassing" in Grader Notes; Not in Glossary
2 2

75 posts in this topic

A fellow collector in my state says he's been getting the grader note "canvassing" from CGC on a number of his books. There is no such term in the Glossary on the CGC site.

I suspect "canvassing" may be a new way to refer to pressed comics whose covers are not smooth. Anyone know for sure what "canvassing" means?

24 minutes ago, MBFan said:

A fellow collector in my state says he's been getting the grader note "canvassing" from CGC on a number of his books. There is no such term in the Glossary on the CGC site.

I suspect "canvassing" may be a new way to refer to pressed comics whose covers are not smooth. Anyone know for sure what "canvassing" means?

I don't know but he may be submitting his books to CCS for a review. They will recommend whether the book can benefit from a press. Strange use of the term canvassing. Never heard it before in relation to CGC or comic books. 

37 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't know but he may be submitting his books to CCS for a review. They will recommend whether the book can benefit from a press. Strange use of the term canvassing. Never heard it before in relation to CGC or comic books. 

The person is a presser, so he doesn't send books to CCS. He says the term "canvassing" has popped up in grader notes on some books that are currently being shipped back to him.

1 minute ago, MBFan said:

The person is a presser, so he doesn't send books to CCS. He says the term "canvassing" has popped up in grader notes on some books that are currently being shipped back to him.

Interesting. I have never seen this word in grader's notes. I hope someone else can give some information on this. 

I have never seen the term used either. It suggests as others have noted that the books cover isn't smooth - having a canvas like texture to the surface. 

But CGC already has a term for that - pebbling. Where the book was improperly pressed and picked up the texture of whatever it was squished up against during pressing. 

The person should just call CGC and ask.  The customer service person that answers the phone will go ask a grader. Or maybe even THE grader that made the note. And of course they should stop what they are doing until they figure it out. 

Edited by Tony S

10 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

I have heard that word from my union - it has to do with the election between a canvasser (gather information from the voters included me) and campaign (voting booth and advertising). It's weird to use that word to describe the pressing defect.

The gathering of information is the traditionaI meaning of the word. It appears CGC has created a new meaning. 

8 hours ago, Tony S said:

I have never seen the term used either. It suggests as others have noted that the books cover isn't smooth - having a canvas like texture to the surface. 

But CGC already has a term for that - pebbling. Where the book was improperly pressed and picked up the texture of whatever it was squished up against during pressing. 

Just now checked CGC's online Glossary. Pebbling is not listed there.

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

If I had to garner a guess I would say the texture of the book look like a canvas you would paint on, not canvassing like the police do after a crime. 

I think you are right but apparently they have, in house, invented a new meaning for the word ! I know I would be confused if I saw this term in notes. This is a classic case of the engineer using terms the layman cannot understand. Perhaps if they said something like 'canvass like texture' instead of canvassing it would have been more appropriate.  

3 hours ago, joeypost said:

If I had to garner a guess I would say the texture of the book look like a canvas you would paint on, not canvassing like the police do after a crime. 

I think the same thing. But the glossary doesn't match the terminology for pressing defects here.