• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Canvassing" in Grader Notes; Not in Glossary
2 2

75 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, MBFan said:

CGC has responded, and "canvassing" is indeed a pressing issue: "Canvassing refers to a pattern that has been pressed into the cover during pressing, likely from whatever surface was used against it. It looks like a cross stitched pattern."

My friend reports that he's been using teflon sheets (which often have a light weave texture) when pressing books and is going back to silicone paper.

So a DIY presser has enabled a new defect. CGC should name it after him ! Hope you are not having him press your books.:baiting:

2 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Another short cut shot down by CGC. For anyone who wants to press books there is only one way to do it... the right way. 

I suspected it was this Teflon material as I have seen others use it and I noticed this light texture that was pressed into the covers. I have worked on two books like this and removing it is not easy. Hopefully your friend has insurance or will cover you for the damage he has caused to the books already graded with this issue. 

(thumbsu  I think that guy recomending pressing with a clothes iron mentioned using Teflon. I think he was challenged on it but said it works just fine. I hope the guy from this thread only works on his own books. If he is selling his services, he should be outted.

11 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Hopefully your friend has insurance or will cover you for the damage he has caused to the books already graded with this issue. 

The person in question has not pressed any of my books. (In fact, you are the only presser I have ever employed so far.) Saw the news about "canvassing" on a Facebook post and just wanted to spread the word here so others could avoid such a problem.

On 1/26/2019 at 5:12 PM, MBFan said:

The person is a presser, so he doesn't send books to CCS. He says the term "canvassing" has popped up in grader notes on some books that are currently being shipped back to him.

Maybe he should send books to someone who knows what they are doing. Saves $15 on the pressing but reduces the books value by $75.00. Sound like a sound business model. 

p.s. I misread who’s books were pressed. At least he didn’t charge someone for damaging their books. 

Edited by joeypost

2 hours ago, MBFan said:

The person in question has not pressed any of my books. (In fact, you are the only presser I have ever employed so far.) Saw the news about "canvassing" on a Facebook post and just wanted to spread the word here so others could avoid such a problem.

Does he sell his pressing services ? I don't understand why the presser himself didn't see the 'canvassing'. The fact that he sent them in for grading, with the flaw, doesn't say much about his skills, or his eyesight. 

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Does he sell his pressing services ? I don't understand why the presser himself didn't see the 'canvassing'. The fact that he sent them in for grading, with the flaw, doesn't say much about his skills, or his eyesight. 

Don't know the details. Read about it in a local FB group and came here to share and see if anyone here had knowledge to contribute.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:13 PM, joeypost said:

Check this beauty out. Wrinkling over canvassing. 

badpress.jpg

what caused the wrinkling is that from the Teflon paper? or High heat? 

I just got a batch back from CGC that I pressed using a teflon sheet that got no grader notes and were 9.2s to 9.8s.  Like anything else it's probably a matter of technique.  I think if the heat is too high you will get a pattern in the paper.  I prefer "low and slow", especially with modern books.  Thanks for the warning though, I'm going to switch to silicone paper for my next batch.

On 9/10/2019 at 12:04 PM, chronosafe said:

I just got a batch back from CGC that I pressed using a teflon sheet that got no grader notes and were 9.2s to 9.8s.  Like anything else it's probably a matter of technique.  I think if the heat is too high you will get a pattern in the paper.  I prefer "low and slow", especially with modern books.  Thanks for the warning though, I'm going to switch to silicone paper for my next batch.

Any thoughts on parchment vs silicone paper? I just got a bunch back with the canvassing notes. I didn't even know this was a thing. All paper has a texture.

Edited by Calm-Mix
Adding to question.