• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mega -key imposters ?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

It’s hard for me to accept anything past 1968 as a mega key, even though a Hulk 181 just went for $59k in Clink this week. The mega keys for me are Tec 27, Action 1, Bat 1, Cap 1. I don’t think All American 16 is a mega key mostly because Green Lantern is of little importance to me.

6 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

It’s hard for me to accept anything past 1968 as a mega key, even though a Hulk 181 just went for $59k in Clink this week. The mega keys for me are Tec 27, Action 1, Bat 1, Cap 1. I don’t think All American 16 is a mega key mostly because Green Lantern is of little importance to me.

:makepoint::takeit: 

I'll bite.  Suspense 3.  It's not in my top 10 Schomburg covers (I prefer his Timely work), I find it to be not particularly original (very similar to Suspense 1 and 4, and Schomburg used those KKK robed guys over and over), and I actually prefer Suspense 8, 9, and 10.  I know many will disagree with me,  but it is a question of individual taste when Suspense 3 has zero historical significance beyond the cover.  

23 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I'll bite.  Suspense 3.  It's not in my top 10 Schomburg covers (I prefer his Timely work), I find it to be not particularly original (very similar to Suspense 1 and 4, and Schomburg used those KKK robed guys over and over), and I actually prefer Suspense 8, 9, and 10.  I know many will disagree with me,  but it is a question of individual taste when Suspense 3 has zero historical significance beyond the cover.  

Me too.  And i hear there’s nothing worth a look inside the book, either

I don't think a "classic" cover is enough to qualify. So, agree 100% on Suspense #3, but I'll go further. Action #7 and Detective #31 are not what I can call mega-keys. They are comics that are highly sought after by the people that actually buy expensive golden age comics. In theory, they shouldn't be worth more than Marvel #1, Flash #1, etc., Of course I can theorize all I want, but my personal opinions don't really count, because I'm not affecting the market with dollars. 

Money will get the deciding vote.

14 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

to this I'll add MF52. As to the 59K Hulk 181, people are stupid. More money than brains.

Edited by Gotham Kid

10 hours ago, telerites said:

90% of the listings on Ebay.

And a lot of the sales listings on the boards.  Someone puts Mega Key in the title, you click and the book turns out to be a VG copy of TOS 57 or something. 

18 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I think you have to throw Marvel 1 in there. 

10 minutes ago, szav said:

I look at fantastic 3 and I just don’t get it, the hype and the prices that is.... to each their own anyway.

I do think it's a great cover, but part of the hype comes from Fishler having sat on so many copies for years. Created an artificial scarcity that made any copy that hit the market seem like a big deal. 

7 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

What caused its downfall??

A downturn in Kirby-mania.

See the above mentioned Manhunter and throw in Red Raven to boot. I love em all, but as KirbyJack posted above, I am not one of those big fish throwing around the big bucks - ergo, my opinions aren't all that influential.  :shy: