• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 39 Advice

4 posts in this topic

Sent to CGC, the book will receive a Green, Qualified label and grade. That means the numeric grade will ignore the three hole punches. So if for example CGC believes the book otherwise looks 8.0, it will get an 8.0. But the label color will be Green and the grade will be a "Qualified" grade. 8.0, but with three binder ring holes through the book. 

Restoration would be extremely expensive as the restorer would be replacing/filling in paper on every single page. In general, most restoration experts recommend a book be worth at least $1000 before work is done. I would consider restoration out of the question. 

Sending it to CGC is a different matter. You might well be able to sell it for more money as a CGC green label than it would sell for raw. Green label I could see the book getting in the VF range. Raw a lot, maybe most collectors would consider the books condition poor to fair.

Welcome to the Boards!

Edited by Tony S

I have a Detective Comics 359 with two clean hole punches through it and have asked around with the same query... will it absolutely receive a Qualified (Green Label) with hole punches?  My understanding is that it can also receive a Universal (Blue Label), but with a significant grade reduction due to the hole punches.  Which is correct?

16 hours ago, Carlos Tovar said:

I have a Detective Comics 359 with two clean hole punches through it and have asked around with the same query... will it absolutely receive a Qualified (Green Label) with hole punches?  My understanding is that it can also receive a Universal (Blue Label), but with a significant grade reduction due to the hole punches.  Which is correct?

You can request one or the other.

But you are correct... you can either get a Qualified green label, or (most likely) a 0.5 Universal blue label. I do not recommend the latter.