• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a Fake / Forgery / Replaced Label

13 posts in this topic

New to the forums...if this should be somewhere else. let me know.

I bought a collection a while ago,  it came with a single CGC 9.6 Captain Marvel #31.  My first slabbed comic.  I decided to sell it today and as I was taking pics, I noticed a crack at the top post in both corners.  The cracks seem to be on the inside of the case.  Now as I look closer...seems to be a slight crack along the top edge.   

According to CGC Verify, the label was made (book graded) 10/2013.  I do not know the different slab styles to know what generation slab it is.   I can provide more pics if necessary.

I think the label was swapped out of a real 9.6 and put into a 9.0 or 9.2 book.  Opinions???

Thanks

CLT

left_top.jpg

top_right.jpg

edge1.jpg

edge2.jpg

edge3.jpg

edge4.jpg

I seriously doubt the book or label was swapped from another slab, there would be a lot and I mean a lot more damage to this current case....

These CGC slabs are somewhat tamperproof, if it was switched, how would they get the label to not be crimped and damaged fitting it through the not even half an inch crack...

It's impossible I tell's ya lol :foryou: 

If you don't want to sell it due to cracks, send it in for a reholder ;) 

Welcome to the boards! :headbang: 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I seriously doubt the book or label was swapped from another slab, there would be a lot and I mean a lot more damage to this current case....

These CGC slabs are somewhat tamperproof, if it was switched, how would they get the label to not be crimped and damaged fitting it through the not even half an inch crack...

It's impossible I tell's ya lol :foryou: 

If you don't want to sell it due to cracks, send it in for a reholder ;) 

Welcome to the boards! :headbang: 

Sorry to disagree but the previous generation of slab was NOT tamperproof. I like to crack open many of my slabbed books for my personal collection and I got pretty good at opening the slab without any cracks showing. In hand, the telltale sign is the popped posts so it sounds like his example may have been switched. I'm not saying it happened, just that it is very possible. IN any case, you don't want to sell this book with cracked posts. If two posts are cracked you cannot simply reholder. CGC will probably require a regrade.

Thanks for the info all.  By my count I got a "Yes", "No" and a "Maybe so".   I'll be safe and say it is label swapped.   I do not think it is worth resubmitting...if I think it is a 9.2 then it will cost me more ot send it in for regrading.   I'll just break it open and sell it raw.

This changes my plans on buying more graded books. :-(   I guess I will stick with raw and have them graded myself 

Thanks again for your opinions

2 minutes ago, CLT said:

Thanks for the info all.  By my count I got a "Yes", "No" and a "Maybe so".   I'll be safe and say it is label swapped.   I do not think it is worth resubmitting...if I think it is a 9.2 then it will cost me more ot send it in for regrading.   I'll just break it open and sell it raw.

This changes my plans on buying more graded books. :-(   I guess I will stick with raw and have them graded myself 

Thanks again for your opinions

Please keep in mind that the new and improved CGC holder is much more difficult to crack open than these older ones. In my view it would be extremely difficult to crack open one of the new holders without sustaining some serious damage to the outer shell...

I know there a "new" cases,   but I do not know the difference.

There was the small grade in middle of label  (I think that was first)

There was the Large grade on left  but page quality in middle

There is large grade with page quality under grade  (newest???)

Is that how to tell...or are there other versions with minor differences to look out for as well

It does not look like it was swapped out.  The corners/posts would have severe and obvious signs of tampering.  I have cracked many and resubmitted many books and always obvious.  Do not take it out and sell it raw as that would void the grade.  You can also email the photos and contact CGC directly with your concerns.  

If you're going to sell it, the case is going to add protection for shipping.  Don't break it out.  Just disclose that YOU BELIEVE the posts are cracked.  As for me, I do not see cracks in the photos you are showing.  There is an inner sleeve that has the rounded corners, but where are the cracks?  It's one of the older (better - in my opinion) cases that has unsealed sides whereby collectors are able to slip a thin sheet of paper into and eliminate newton rings...  Keep in mind that the comic is inside another sleeve behind the hardwall (which is the sleeve with the rounded corners).

There's a lot of concern about "swapped books", and with other companies, it's legitimate, because it's very easy to do, especially with certain types of CBCS slabs. But CGC cases have always been, since the beginning, fairly tamper-evident, and there are security features, even on the old slab, that CGC has never made public...on purpose.

You also have to consider the details and realize that the value of the book plays a big part on whether your book is "swapped." Are we talking about a Fawcett Captain Marvel #31 from 1945? Probably not. I assume it's a Marvel Comics version from 1974, in which case...the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.0/9.2 really isn't that much.

There's nothing in the pictures that indicates any damage to your slab.

While it's tempting to believe there are legions of "comic swappers" out there, trying to swap out really high grade books with not so high grade books, it's not really true. And the books they are trying on are going to be a lot more valuable. Ok, yes, "fraud tests" and whatnot, but again...what is possible and what is likely are usually far apart, This is where knowledge is power: knowing how CGC grades, and being able to grade for yourself, are invaluable skills if you plan on buying and selling slabs. If you know what you are looking at, it's much harder to deceive you.

Disclosure: I have both bought and sold thousands of slabs, and had more thousands slabbed. I'm "in it" as much as anyone.

Finally: EVERYONE...and I mean EVERYONE...who buys or sells slabs should crack open at least one old slab and one new slab, and familiarize yourself with the components of every slab, so that you know what you're looking at, and how the slab works. It will help you out tremendously.

4 hours ago, CLT said:

I know there a "new" cases,   but I do not know the difference.

There was the small grade in middle of label  (I think that was first)

There was the Large grade on left  but page quality in middle

There is large grade with page quality under grade  (newest???)

Is that how to tell...or are there other versions with minor differences to look out for as well

Here is a deeper thread on labels and changes...

:tink: hope I was a help  :foryou: