• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 California Comic Con - Post your Photos
2 2

124 posts in this topic

Terry's Yorba Linda Comic-Con each January is a great throwback to the cons of old and this year was no exception. Lots and lots of comics and plenty of Golden Age on hand to tempt everyone. It remains at least for me a great way to rekindle that old comic con excitement each year. Lots of Boardies around besides my wingman Busted Flush; ran into Oakman, Scentaur, Greggy, Robot Man at his booth and Tri-Color Brian. And of course the usual dealers. I thought I'd share some of my fun photos to start.

What was amazing was the endless line for CGC submittals; at the start of the show they had it is the side room but it got so long and in the way it was moved out to the hallway. Even if I wanted to submit something I wouldn't do it here because who wants to wait in line for an hour!!

tn_Terry2019CGCLine2.jpg

tn_Terry2019CGCLine3.jpg

Thanks to Oakman for taking this picture of Busted Flush and me. I had worn the Marvin the Martian T-shirt because my daughter gave it to me for Christmas. I'm not a huge fan so when I had about five to six people come up to me wanting to do their Mavin imitation it was pretty amusing. 

Terry2019MikeandFrank.jpg

1 minute ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I spy a stroller next to the CGC line; so that's one!

HEHE yeahhh... there have been some posts here lately about is the hobby dying etc.  Well, this IS totally different from when I was going in the late 70's.  I was 13 and went to maybe 4 conventions over 3 years and there were plenty of young people always.  Tail end baby boomers and gen X's are keeping this hobby alive I think.  But this is off topic.  Do you think the convention was small?  I remember one venue that had a giant theater and stage where they had guest speakers.  Everything changes I guess.  Plus, with the internet and proliferation of cameras mail ordering is so simple (and risky hehe).

43 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Thanks to Oakman for taking this picture of Busted Flush and me. I had worn the Marvin the Martian T-shirt because my daughter gave it to me for Christmas. I'm not a huge fan so when I had about five to six people come up to me wanting to do their Mavin imitation it was pretty amusing. 

Terry2019MikeandFrank.jpg

Great report and your daughter has great tastes in t shirts! :headbang:

47 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

HEHE yeahhh... there have been some posts here lately about is the hobby dying etc.  Well, this IS totally different from when I was going in the late 70's.  I was 13 and went to maybe 4 conventions over 3 years and there were plenty of young people always.  Tail end baby boomers and gen X's are keeping this hobby alive I think.  But this is off topic.  Do you think the convention was small?  I remember one venue that had a giant theater and stage where they had guest speakers.  Everything changes I guess.  Plus, with the internet and proliferation of cameras mail ordering is so simple (and risky hehe).

You are right about that and as the number of people who grew up with comics as an important cultural touch point dwindles; so must these shows or at least morph into something else. I wonder how vintage video game shows look? I see Heritage has added to their roster each week.

10 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

You are right about that and as the number of people who grew up with comics as an important cultural touch point dwindles; so must these shows or at least morph into something else. I wonder how vintage video game shows look? I see Heritage has added to their roster each week.

Finding art in video game packaging is a stretch for me but to each his own.  If you want to play them you can buy a thumb drive with 1000 games on it (I think).  With a name like California Comic Con I was thinking it would pack at least half the LA Convention Center and draw in 50000 people.  My how the times have changed.  Anyway, I hope some good deals were made for both the buyer and seller and all had a good time.  I am out of here before I derail more!

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

What was amazing was the endless line for CGC submittals; at the start of the show they had it is the side room but it got so long and in the way it was moved out to the hallway. Even if I wanted to submit something I wouldn't do it here because who wants to wait in line for an hour!!

tn_Terry2019CGCLine2.jpg

tn_Terry2019CGCLine3.jpg

Yes waited an hour and half to submit some books.

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Then of course our own Scentaur! Working the A-1 booth and making the sale of Danger is our Business #1 to Busted Flush. I really thought you might offer more than cover there for a few minutes Steve when you were looking at it!!

tn_Terry2019Steve1.jpg

Very proud of the Longhorns t-shirt, Steve!